Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Split Between iMac And MacBook

Split Between iMac And MacBook
rezdwan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 09:58 AM

Hello everyone

My name is Rezdwan Hamid and I am from Singapore.

I am thinking of switching to a Mac and hope to do more research on it. Currently, I am split between the new iMac and the MacBook. The new iMac looks cool and I like the thought of having an all-in-one computer. At the same time, having a portable MacBook means I can use it anywhere in my house.

So, I need your advice as to whether it will be practical if I were to get the iMac and move it from room to room when I need to. Or should I get the MacBook even though I don't foresee bringing the MacBook outside of my house and I liked the idea of using a portable Mac whilst sitting in my bed.

All your comments will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 16, 2007, 10:45 AM

I have both a desktop computer and a laptop. Lately I've found that I use the laptop more, just because I can take it into the living room and have it on my lap while I watch TV or eat or whatever, even though the desktop is more powerful. If you're going to be doing intense stuff like video editing and number crunching, sacrifice portability and go for the desktop. If you're just looking for general use, get the laptop, and maybe an external monitor to hook it up to while it's "docked" at your desk.

rezdwan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I have both a desktop computer and a laptop. Lately I've found that I use the laptop more, just because I can take it into the living room and have it on my lap while I watch TV or eat or whatever, even though the desktop is more powerful. If you're going to be doing intense stuff like video editing and number crunching, sacrifice portability and go for the desktop. If you're just looking for general use, get the laptop, and maybe an external monitor to hook it up to while it's "docked" at your desk.
Hello Laminar

Thank you for your reply.

I know that some day the same thing might happen to me (in terms of preference between the iMac and MacBook). That is why I need to do my homework carefully before I commit to one of the Mac.

I've never really thought of connecting an external monitor to the MacBook. That's a brilliant yet simple idea. I will be using the Mac for photo and video editing eventually. So would it be recommended that I get MacBook Pro if I still insist on portability?

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2007, 11:09 AM

I'm in the same boat as you.

I have a desktop and a laptop, and need to get myself a more modern computer... but which to replace. I keep going back and forth. I would lean toward the laptop, in general, but it really depends on your needs. I need to decide if I want to use my laptop or desktop in a supporting roll. Basically one will be my computer and the other will be a secondary web browsing machine.

I have been a home laptop user for a long time now and it's great, but when I got a used G4 powermac and hooked it up in my office, I found it to be refreshing to have a nice keyboard, big screen, massive hard disk space and a mouse.

If I could only have one, I would stick to a laptop.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 11:43 AM

I've had an iMac for over a year. It replaced my old PowerBook that had died. As nice as the bigger screen and greater storage is, the fact is I continually long for my old laptop because of being able to just drag it around the house whenever I felt like it. (Which is why I'll probably sink some money into a MacBook at some point)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 01:09 PM

I'd vote for MacBook and external screen. It's what my setup is. (A Macbook can take anything upto a 1920x1200 resolution screen (these are usually 24")

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 01:47 PM

rezdwan has to be the politest user we've had around here in ages.

Anyway, rezdwan, my question would be whether you have large amounts of music or movies. If so, the desktop hard drive in the iMac will give you much more room for all that stuff. If instead you'll have only, say, 30-40 gigs of music and such, I think you'll be happy with the comfort & portability of the MacBook.

Good luck!

rezdwan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you.

I have a desktop and a laptop, and need to get myself a more modern computer... but which to replace. I keep going back and forth. I would lean toward the laptop, in general, but it really depends on your needs. I need to decide if I want to use my laptop or desktop in a supporting roll. Basically one will be my computer and the other will be a secondary web browsing machine.

I have been a home laptop user for a long time now and it's great, but when I got a used G4 powermac and hooked it up in my office, I found it to be refreshing to have a nice keyboard, big screen, massive hard disk space and a mouse.

If I could only have one, I would stick to a laptop.
Hello ort888

That is another reason why portability have been put in for consideration. I know that I'll do a lot of online surfing and having wireless access at home means I can do it anywhere I feel comfortable.

If portability seems so important to me in the end, I will have to decide between the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Do seasoned Mac users here considers the MacBook a watered down version of MacBook Pro?

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid
Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I've had an iMac for over a year. It replaced my old PowerBook that had died. As nice as the bigger screen and greater storage is, the fact is I continually long for my old laptop because of being able to just drag it around the house whenever I felt like it. (Which is why I'll probably sink some money into a MacBook at some point)
Hello Dakarʒ

Also, thank you for sharing your experience. I never had any kind of notebook before, so I will really need to weigh the pros and cons of portability to bigger screen and storage.

Although, I probably can get around the problem by getting an external monitor or hard drive in the future. Should you get a MacBook in the future, will you get the Pro version and why?

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I'd vote for MacBook and external screen. It's what my setup is. (A Macbook can take anything upto a 1920x1200 resolution screen (these are usually 24")
Hello ajprice

It is nice to know that you have been doing what was suggested for the kind of issue I will be facing.

By the way, does a MacBook works with any monitor or must I really get only Apple monitors? Sorry if this sound too obvious. I'm really a newbie to all of these.

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid
Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
rezdwan has to be the politest user we've had around here in ages.

Anyway, rezdwan, my question would be whether you have large amounts of music or movies. If so, the desktop hard drive in the iMac will give you much more room for all that stuff. If instead you'll have only, say, 30-40 gigs of music and such, I think you'll be happy with the comfort & portability of the MacBook.

Good luck!
Hello Mithras

Yes, in fact I do have a lot of movies and some music here and there I would love to keep. Here's something that I really need guidance. The iMac has everything behind the screen and this is a very new concept to a PC user like me.

Is it possible to like take out the hard drive and change it with a bigger one in the future? And will I be able to do the same for the MacBook? Let's assume I don't plan to use an external hard drive.

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 10:17 PM

Get a MacBook. It sounds like you want portability, and if you try moving the iMac from room to room very often, you will not enjoy it. The iMac is quite a bit heavier than it looks like it should be.

The iMac actually uses the laptop version of the Core 2 Duo processor, so its performance isn't really that much better than the MacBook's. The only areas where the iMac stands out are its hard drive and the fact that it has a discrete GPU (although, it's also a laptop model IIRC). I got an iMac back in the days when there actually was a difference, when the iMac had the G5 in it and the laptops still used the horribly outdated G4. Today the laptops are almost as fast, so why bother with an iMac? It's not like you get any more expansion than you would in the laptop, and you can always hook the laptop up to an external monitor if you need a big screen for work (and you can easily disconnect it as well when you want to go somewhere).

As for the difference between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, it's mainly the GPU. The Pro has a dedicated GPU vs. integrated graphics on the MacBook, which means you'll get much higher graphics performance in the Pro. If you don't use GPU-intensive software much, the differences are slight (other than cool creature comforts like the backlit keyboard on the Pro).

One disadvantage of the MacBook Pro with regards to the MacBook is that on the Pro, it is very difficult to replace the hard drive, and you'd probably want to take it into a service center for that. On the MacBook, the hard drive is extremely simple to replace, as shown in this video. On the iMac, replacing the hard drive is next to impossible.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 10:22 PM

i had a 12" powerbook, i bought a 17" imac core duo, i then bought a 15" macbook pro and sold off the powerbook, i then sold the imac and use my macbook pro with my 20" dell lcd at home.

moral: go with a portable if you can, check out the mbp refurbs...the rev a macbook pro's were selling for 1300 bucks a few months back before the new macbooks were introduced, i wouldnt be surprised if they lowered em even more. im now considering buying another macbook for on the go use (as its smaller and a bit lighter) and keeping the pro for home use.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
My dearest Dakar:

I concur that portability indeed supersedes immovability.

Love,

Kerrigan
MacNN Member
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Aug 17, 2007 at 12:42 AM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 10:36 PM

IMHO, there are only three reasons to buy a desktop computer in 2007.

1) You need the raw power (games, video, audio, photoshop, etc. etc.)
2) You need the raw expandability (video card, graphics card, scanner, etc. etc.)
3) You need a very large screen (sure you can have a 30" with a MBP, but you know what I'm talking about)

I'm fine with my G4 iBook for now as I primarily use my computer for Mail, Word, Excel, Safari, and a little bit of design work.

Having a portable is amazingly convenient for the person on the go. I still love how I can literally shock people with Keynote, iPhoto, etc. etc. on the go... and my computer is 2+ years old!

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by rezdwan View Post
If portability seems so important to me in the end, I will have to decide between the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Do seasoned Mac users here considers the MacBook a watered down version of MacBook Pro?
No. The MacBook is probably Apple's #1 selling computer. The reasons to get an MBP are (1) if you play games or use other software that demands a good graphics card (2) you want a bigger screen. That's pretty much it.

By the way, does a MacBook works with any monitor or must I really get only Apple monitors?
Yes, any monitor. The Apple monitors have been groundbreaking at various times, but you can get a much better deal elsewhere.

Just how much music & movies are we talking about? 30GB? 50GB? 100GB? More?

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever Mac you end up with.

Kindest felicitations and regards,
Mithras The Prophet

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rezdwan
Hello Dakarʒ

Also, thank you for sharing your experience. I never had any kind of notebook before, so I will really need to weigh the pros and cons of portability to bigger screen and storage.

Although, I probably can get around the problem by getting an external monitor or hard drive in the future. Should you get a MacBook in the future, will you get the Pro version and why?

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid
I'll stick with the non-pro models, for two reasons:
1. I'll be using the laptop mostly for mobile web surfing and music consumption
2. Any 'serious' work that needs to be done should be done on the iMac anyway, saving me money and keeping it from being neglected

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
My dearest Dakar:

I concur that portability indeed supersedes immovability.

Love,

Kerrigan
MacNN Member
Dearest Kerrigan,

I am very pleased that we are all in agreeance. A difference of opinion would have given me an upset stomach at the next tea time.

Yours always,

H. Dakar Smythe III, Esq.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2007, 08:55 AM

Is this MacNN I've come to?????

What's with all these manners and lovin going down?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 17, 2007, 09:15 AM

The new guy had a great impact. I really hope he sticks around.

rezdwan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 10:27 AM

Hello everyone

Thank you for all the replies.

Wow, I didn't know that I would get a lot of help from the friendly people here. And yes, I will definitely stick around.

It is too much to take all at once so I will try to digest them one by one. It seems that moving the iMac around isn't a very good solution. I'll keep that in mind.

So the decision now is to decide between a MacBook and MacBook Pro. Gaming isn't something that I always do on my computer so I can probably remove that from my criteria.

Nonetheless, I would still love to hear more comments and suggestions. Thank you.

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 10:30 AM

Here's what I say: Get a MacBook with the mini-DVI to DVI adaptor, upgrade the RAM yourself to 2 GB, and buy one of these. Bingo.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2007, 10:40 AM

It seems that moving the iMac around isn't a very good solution.
If you want to test-drive it, buy a thin briefcase, rip off the handle, fill it with solid metal objects and tape a keyboard and mouse to the side. I wouldn't want to be carrying all that stuff around and reconnecting it every time I wanted to use my computer. Even for a computer that's relatively easy to set up like an iMac, it's still way more hassle than a laptop.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
If you want to test-drive it, buy a thin briefcase, rip off the handle, fill it with solid metal objects and tape a keyboard and mouse to the side. I wouldn't want to be carrying all that stuff around and reconnecting it every time I wanted to use my computer. Even for a computer that's relatively easy to set up like an iMac, it's still way more hassle than a laptop.
More importantly, I own a 17" and I find it tolerable to move, but am dissuaded from doing so more than once every few weeks. Apple smallest offering is now the 20", which should be an even bigger bundle of joy to move.

rezdwan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 11:20 AM

Hello everyone

After some thought, I think a portable Mac would be much suited for my needs. Now the discussion will be focused more about getting a MacBook or a MacBook Pro.

Did I mention that I am getting a Mac for photo and video editing? If so, should I get the MacBook Pro or will a MacBook suffice?

Hope to hear all your comments.

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 11:24 AM

Hello everyone

After some thought, I think a portable Mac would be much suited for my needs. Now the discussion will be focused more about getting a MacBook or a MacBook Pro.

Did I mention that I am getting a Mac for photo and video editing? If so, should I get the MacBook Pro or will a MacBook suffice?

Hope to hear all your comments.

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid
As was mentioned before, the two main differences between the regular and the pro versions are the screen size and the graphics chip. You'll most likely be using an external monitor, so that won't matter. I personally haven't used much in the realm of video editing programs, so I can't speak for the difference the Pro's graphics chip makes.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2007, 12:55 PM

My thought is to get as much as you can afford so you won't be wanting more so near in the future. I have found that when I choose the lesser just to save money, a year later I want something more powerful or expandable. But, when I have gotten the higher end (like my Powerbook over my iBook) that I can stick it out for longer. I have had my most recent Powerbook for nearly 2 years and don't see any need to upgrade right now.

However, I also have an iMac for my page layout projects. So, in about 9 months when i go back to work, I will probably consolidate and sell both for a new MacBook Pro.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 10:48 PM

This has got to be the freshest breath of air MacNN forums have had in ages. It's like he's the anti-Ca$h!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 11:05 PM

KeriVit hit the nail on the head. Do you KNOW you are going to be doing video editing? People say that all the time, but they end up not doing it all that much. If it's basic editing, a MacBook will be fine.

I'm one of those people that think the MacBook is a very capable computer. When you put the MacBook and MacBook Pro next to one another in speed tests, the MacBook Pro is always faster, but it's not night and day. The MacBook pro is so much more expensive, you can basically buy a new MacBook in two years... which will be faster than your MacBook Pro.

rezdwan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2007, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
My thought is to get as much as you can afford so you won't be wanting more so near in the future. I have found that when I choose the lesser just to save money, a year later I want something more powerful or expandable. But, when I have gotten the higher end (like my Powerbook over my iBook) that I can stick it out for longer. I have had my most recent Powerbook for nearly 2 years and don't see any need to upgrade right now.

However, I also have an iMac for my page layout projects. So, in about 9 months when i go back to work, I will probably consolidate and sell both for a new MacBook Pro.
Hello KeriVit

Also, thank you for sharing your experiences regarding the PowerBook and iMac. That seems like the closest I can get from someone who has tried both the iMac and MacBook.

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid
Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
KeriVit hit the nail on the head. Do you KNOW you are going to be doing video editing? People say that all the time, but they end up not doing it all that much. If it's basic editing, a MacBook will be fine.

I'm one of those people that think the MacBook is a very capable computer. When you put the MacBook and MacBook Pro next to one another in speed tests, the MacBook Pro is always faster, but it's not night and day. The MacBook pro is so much more expensive, you can basically buy a new MacBook in two years... which will be faster than your MacBook Pro.
Hello mitchell_pgh

In fact, I am joining my friend who has a videography services company. So, I believe that I will be doing a lot of photo and video editing.

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid

rezdwan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2007, 05:37 AM

Hello everyone

After reading all your suggestions, I have more or less decided that my first Mac will be a MacBook Pro.

I appreciate all the help.

Regards,
Rezdwan Hamid

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 08:08 AM

Nice.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 08:26 AM

Is this Ca$h?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2007, 09:34 AM

Being polite and looking into the new iMac? Yeah, sounds like Ca$h.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2007, 08:17 PM

Good choice Rezdwan. You'll be happy with it I am sure

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules