Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Cinema Display - mini displayport to DVI adapter for Mac Pros?

New Cinema Display - mini displayport to DVI adapter for Mac Pros?
moosedesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 03:14 PM

Does such an adapter exist? I've never seen one and I can't find it searching around the web. Would be nice to be able to use the new Cinema display with my Mac Pro (finally get iSight), but I'm afraid that unless Apple offers a dongle, we might be out in the cold still.

grover432
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 04:13 PM

I'd lto see a new Mac Pro already. Hopefully it will have the necessary output to drve the new 24" display. Of course it doesn't help existing Mac Pro users.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 05:16 PM

For Mac Pros, there will probably be new graphics cards available.

It's possible that they'll make an adapter. More likely is a whole line of new Cinema Displays that aren't designed specifically for the new MacBooks (you noticed that the new display even provides power to the laptop, right?).

And of course, aesthetics aside, you're better off buying a third-party display in most cases. Apple's displays are around $500 too expensive.

OreoCookie
Oct 14, 2008, 05:26 PM

There will be adapters. Display Port is `pin compatible' with DVI, so making an adapter is not very difficult.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 06:13 PM

It can be (optionally) for a graphics card -- the new MacBooks do it. But that in no way guarantees that a display will offer the same flexibility. I seriously doubt it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 10:25 PM

DisplayPort has sufficient pins and allows for the passthrough of DVI signals, but the native DisplayPort signaling is different than DVI. That said, I'm skeptical that Apple has implemented the circuitry in the display to accept a DVI signal (the tech specs say "Compatible with MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro systems with Mini DisplayPort"), so a converter (rather than a simple pin adapter) would be necessary for DVI equipped Macs to use DP displays.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 01:52 AM

It's too bad we have to move on from DVI already, but I guess compatibility issues are one of the costs of continued technological progress.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Grryshecjk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2008, 03:10 AM

I think they're beautiful anyways.. I am pondering about getting one.. if they offer the student discount

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2008, 04:50 AM

Apple offers Mini DP to DVI, but are there also DVI to MDP adapters?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
For Mac Pros, there will probably be new graphics cards available.

It's possible that they'll make an adapter. More likely is a whole line of new Cinema Displays that aren't designed specifically for the new MacBooks (you noticed that the new display even provides power to the laptop, right?).

And of course, aesthetics aside, you're better off buying a third-party display in most cases. Apple's displays are around $500 too expensive.
I'm ogling an Eizo ColorEdge. But its also a sharp edge, that will cut deep into the flesh of my wallet.

Any other great displays you know?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 16, 2008, 05:21 PM

What quality of display do you need?

The Dell Ultrasharp series of displays are comparable to Apple's. Samsung and LG make great displays, and if you're looking for a cut above, look at LaCie and NEC.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 07:14 PM

What quality of display do you need?

The Dell Ultrasharp series of displays are comparable to Apple's. Samsung and LG make great displays, and if you're looking for a cut above, look at LaCie and NEC.
Photography - image editing. Very good color reproduction and very even color and brightness across the whole screen. Very good calibration results. Matte display surface.

I have heard NEC displays are also very good. I regularly heard that Dell is using the same panel as Apple.

But, regarding latest developments, my next display has to be an LED, too. Just with matte surface.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 09:16 PM

The Dell 30" is the same panel as Apple, but their 24" is PVA which is good for still graphics (not sure what Apple's new 24" is, but it's glossy anyway... the old 23" were IPS).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 18, 2008, 11:28 AM

Which Dell 24"? They have several.

Veltliner: for the most part, LED backlighting has no effect on color, just on power consumption and warmup time (and improved environmental characteristics). Only extremely high-end displays use LEDs to actually improve color.

But yeah, if you're looking for top calibration, take a look at Eizo, NEC, LaCie, and Barco.

Cold Warrior
Oct 18, 2008, 11:35 AM

I hope there's an option. I'd like to get the new Cinema Display for Christmas for my MBP C2D w/ DVI.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 10:46 PM

Which Dell 24"? They have several.
Any of the 24xx UltraSharps; thought it went without saying.

Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2008, 05:21 PM

I'm confused as to what this is. Is it currently retailing? Will it really allow my old gen MBP to work wit the LED Cinema?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2008, 09:41 PM

Allows you to connect DVI displays to sources that only have DP connectors (and support some sort of signaling to output a DVI signal instead). Won't work with your MBP or the LED Cinema.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2008, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post

I'm confused as to what this is. Is it currently retailing? Will it really allow my old gen MBP to work wit the LED Cinema?
It's exactly the opposite. It would allow a DP computer to output to a DVI screen. Since the new Macs have MDP we'd need either a MDP version of this adapter or in addition to it a MDP->DP dongle.

Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2008, 05:05 PM

I think you mean DVI computer to DP screen, but the point is still there. If this is retailing, it's only a matter of time before there's a MDP-DP adapter, so theoretically this could be a (ugly and unnecessarily complicated) solution.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2008, 08:10 PM

It's no solution if the new LED Cinema doesn't support a DVI signal.

Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2008, 08:12 PM

Which if it doesn't, means Apple is so actively pursuing sales that it wants to make all of its computers made before 4 months ago obsolete when it comes to using their displays. No company would - oh, wait, they totally would.

kellrandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2009, 02:53 PM

I know this is a really old post, but some of you out there may want to know this...an adapter is almost available! Not released as of yet though.

Circuit Assembly DVI to Mini Displayport Adapter Cable

andrewlang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by kellrandy View Post
I know this is a really old post, but some of you out there may want to know this...an adapter is almost available! Not released as of yet though.

Circuit Assembly DVI to Mini Displayport Adapter Cable
Just wanted to let everyone know that this adapter is available now and this is the lowest price I've been able to find for this online.

Forum Links
Forum Rules