Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wanna blow up the Earth? Not as easy as Dr. Doom would lead you to believe

Wanna blow up the Earth? Not as easy as Dr. Doom would lead you to believe
starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 02:38 PM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 03:00 PM

He's going about it all wrong. You see, Earth (like nearly all things) resonates at a specific frequency. Glass, for example. If you provide a pitch at the right frequency, it'll shatter. Earth resonates at approximately 8Hz. You stamp on the ground, it goes from one side of the planet, bounces, and comes back.

First, you go to China and build a platform 10 meters high that can hold 1.3 billion people.

Second, you time the resonance of Earth. At the exact moment the wave hits China, you have all 1.3 billion people jump off the platform.

The Earth will explode ...

... from 1.3 billion Chinese people screaming in agony when their legs are broken.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 03:09 PM

-t

wolfen
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 03:17 PM

Tesla said he could split the earth in half if he wanted to. People laughed, but he accomplished so many impossible things that some began to wonder.

A professor in college (freakin' psycho genius) said he had read research that it is possible to collect audio of Abraham Lincoln giving the Gettysburg Address -- today -- with a blackboard, a car battery and some wire. They have the math, but don't understand enough about thinking in those mathematical ways to actually execute it.

haha...execute...lincoln...
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen
said he had read research that it is possible to collect audio of Abraham Lincoln giving the Gettysburg Address -- today --
Let me guess: he read it on --- TEH INTARWEB ?

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Mar 22, 2006 at 03:30 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2006, 04:16 PM

This is the only Simpsons quote that comes to mind:

"For years man has yearned to destroy the sun" - Mr. Burns

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
He's going about it all wrong. You see, Earth (like nearly all things) resonates at a specific frequency. Glass, for example. If you provide a pitch at the right frequency, it'll shatter. Earth resonates at approximately 8Hz. You stamp on the ground, it goes from one side of the planet, bounces, and comes back.
From the website:

Feasibility rating: 2/10. As it happens the planet Earth, being neither a solid, rigid nor uniform structure, does not have a simple resonant frequency. It has dozens, and any large movement (such as an earthquake) causes waves of three different types to travel through its structure at varying speeds, all interfering with each other. Simply isolating and focusing on one of these frequencies to work on would be impossible due to interference, not to mention that the energy generated by anything short of a ten point oh would dissipate to immeasurability after a single round trip, and that this would be a singularly inefficient way to transmit kinetic energy into the Earth, and that once the Earth started shaking significantly it would probably break up, do something unpredictable, collapse back to nothing, and force you to start again... No, mechanical resonance with a Tesla machine wouldn't work.

Of course, electromagnetic resonance is a different matter entirely. Electromagnetic waves can make the round trip around the planet Earth at a frequency of maybe seven hertz. But it's entirely unclear how this would even work.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 23, 2006, 06:36 PM

Actually your professor is correct. Sound Continues to travel in waves for huge periods of time... Technically it's still out there...

not only that (without going into great detail) the government employed "remote viewers" (google remote viewing) which was proven to work. It basically is that there is a universal field of consciousness from which data from any time can be accessed in great detail. For example the goverment used it's "remote viewers" to be assigned any random letters, and then would write down inside a sealed envelope, "new spy sub" and the remote viewer would draw a detailed picture of a new spy sub that they were referring to without ever being there or have seen it. They could draw instruments, anything.

It is a proven science. I know it sounds waaaay far out, but it's a very solid principle. This book here was written by a member of the government team called "stargate" and he and several other people performed these tasks and still do. it's crazy to realize it is real. I was given a demonstration a few weeks back. It's not like those tv psychics.. it's real science. And accessing the "universal field of consciousness" can be done by anyone with scientific training.

This book was by somebody who originally was a skeptic but then joined the program. Read this book (this was never my sort of thing) but I read it from a friend, and it's changed my life: (there are many books out there like this)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074...Fencoding=UTF8

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 12:02 PM

I have no interest in doing such a thing.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 24, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Actually your professor is correct. Sound Continues to travel in waves for huge periods of time... Technically it's still out there...

not only that (without going into great detail) the government employed "remote viewers" (google remote viewing) which was proven to work. It basically is that there is a universal field of consciousness from which data from any time can be accessed in great detail. For example the goverment used it's "remote viewers" to be assigned any random letters, and then would write down inside a sealed envelope, "new spy sub" and the remote viewer would draw a detailed picture of a new spy sub that they were referring to without ever being there or have seen it. They could draw instruments, anything.

It is a proven science. I know it sounds waaaay far out, but it's a very solid principle. This book here was written by a member of the government team called "stargate" and he and several other people performed these tasks and still do. it's crazy to realize it is real. I was given a demonstration a few weeks back. It's not like those tv psychics.. it's real science. And accessing the "universal field of consciousness" can be done by anyone with scientific training.

This book was by somebody who originally was a skeptic but then joined the program. Read this book (this was never my sort of thing) but I read it from a friend, and it's changed my life: (there are many books out there like this)

Yes, we know very little how this world really works. I think this type of thing is a bit humbling.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
I have no interest in doing such a thing.
No wonder you dropped out of evil doctor school.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
No wonder you dropped out of evil doctor school.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 12:57 PM

Right, because things with "psychic phenomenon" books about them on Amazon but no credible scientific documentation are very often legit. If this is possible, go get "anyone with scientific training" to take the Randi challenge.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2006, 03:54 AM

That is complete and utter bullsh*t. Just because it's in a book doesn't mean it's true.

And no, the sound waves from Lincoln's address would not still be "out there." Sound dissipates into heat on the order of seconds, not years, decades, or centuries. You need to go take a science class.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2006, 06:28 AM

Dude, clearly, you need to build a moon sized space station with a giant frickin lazer.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 25, 2006, 11:58 AM

I dropped out of Evil Doctor school because the homework was killer!

Ok, that was crude and not that funny, but someone had to say it.

Anyway, the earth's crust is a very complex amorphous combination of minerals that certainly don't cooperate with each other on any level, so it would be very difficult to find any particular mechanism that would work over any large area to disrupt the crust, let alone much more than that. Because of the enormous gravitational force exerted by the entire mass of the earth, it would require far more energy than that gravitational force to disrupt the overall mass of the planet. That's not to say that making the planet unlivable is undoable, but physically destroying the planet is not particularly feasible.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules