Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 5.1 sound from Apple TV to Sony DAV-DX375

5.1 sound from Apple TV to Sony DAV-DX375
LittleBastad
Mar 24, 2008, 08:57 PM

Okay, I have an Apple TV and a Sony DAV-DX375 DVD/stereo set-up. There doesn't appear to be any way to input 5.1 sound into the Sony DAV-DX375, but I'm wondering if maybe I'm overlooking something. Does anyone have any ideas? The Sony has two analog/RCA inputs and one stereo-mini input (on the front, usually used for iPods or things like that).
17" iMac - 2.0 ghz Core 2 Duo - SuperDrive

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 24, 2008, 10:59 PM

I believe all you do is run the AppleTV sound into the left and right RCA jacks on the stereo and set it up for surround sound. Reading Wikipedia, it appears that the five channels are encoded on a two-channel source (specific part here).

Now, the AppleTV specs specify "Dolby Digital 5.1" so maybe 5.1 surround sound only come from the optical audio output.

That's what I can offer; hopefully somebody else can elaborate and/or correct this.

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2008, 03:03 PM

No, you are not overlooking anything. The home theatre system that you bought does not have any digital inputs and therefore cannot receive 5.1 sound.

Paul Alvarez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2008, 08:05 PM

Apple TV only outputs Dolby 5.1 from the optical port and HDMI. Your receiver would need these to decode the signal.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2008, 10:47 PM

Well, in addition to using the optical port or HDMI, you need a source that is truly Dolby 5.1.

There are two forms of Dolby 5.1, one is where all the channels get encoded into the two stereo channels, but are NOT kept as dedicated channels. Those will sound kind of meh.

If you truly want DVD quality 5.1 surrond sound (5 dedicated channels, called Dolby AC3), you'd need to use Handbrake to encode with with AppleTV setting, AND (very important), change the Codecs setting to (AVC/H.264 Video / AAC + AC3 Audio." Not that this will only work with AC3 sources, obviously.

Apple now also sells some few movies with dedicated 6 channels. I'm not sure how to know though which ones these are.

-t

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2008, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
If you truly want DVD quality 5.1 surrond sound (5 dedicated channels, called Dolby AC3), you'd need to use Handbrake to encode with with AppleTV setting, AND (very important), change the Codecs setting to (AVC/H.264 Video / AAC + AC3 Audio." Not that this will only work with AC3 sources, obviously.
Thanks for that, I was unsure about the audio codec setting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules