Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: The Drinking Thread

Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: The Drinking Thread (Page 17)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Medicare Part D?

I feel like you can almost write off any break they did after 2006 because Bush became so unpopular. Unless your point is they stuck with him even then.
Once they lost the majority, I'd argue voting against him had less cachet.
( Last edited by subego; Aug 1, 2017 at 01:13 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2017, 10:05 PM

This got missed over the weekend: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b02a8434b6575a
President Donald Trump received applause on Friday when he endorsed police brutality while delivering a speech to law enforcement officers on Long Island, New York.

The president suggested that officers should hit suspects’ heads on the doors of their police cars.

“When you see these towns and when you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in, rough, and I said, ‘Please don’t be too nice,’” Trump said.

“Like when you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over, like, don’t hit their head and they’ve just killed somebody, don’t hit their head, I said, ‘You can take the hand away, OK?’” he added.

His remarks received significant applause.
I wonder why some people don't like cops, man.

andi*pandi
Aug 1, 2017, 10:08 PM

to be fair, most of the cops in the background were like, what? do we clap, or? I guess we're clapping?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 1, 2017, 10:37 PM

I thought the hand-on-head was for balance. With your hands cuffed, it's hard to get in a car. You can do it butt-first and swing your legs in. But if you step in foot-first, you need someone to push or you can't make the curve.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2017, 12:13 AM

I figure it's half and half.

If one was trying to maintain balance on their own in that situation, they'd probably clonk their head.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2017, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
to be fair, most of the cops in the background were like, what? do we clap, or? I guess we're clapping?
The audience clapped as well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2017, 01:52 PM

Trumps numbers cratering everywhere today. In Gallup he's tied his worst approval and disapproval. Fallout from healthcare? He's probably taking it from all sides if it's that one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2017, 02:03 PM

Amusingly enough, until I read your post the only thing I had heard about poll numbers were that Hillary's are worse than Trump's.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2017, 02:06 PM

With Democrats, Junior is 1% favorable to 84% unfavorable.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Amusingly enough, until I read your post the only thing I had heard about poll numbers were that Hillary's are worse than Trump's.
I mean I wouldn't be surprised either way but I imagine this can be logically filed under "nobody likes a loser"

andi*pandi
Aug 2, 2017, 02:29 PM

Well, that and Capn posted that info in the other thread, so astroturfing works?
Point is, she's not president so it doesn't matter.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2017, 03:06 PM

I thought maybe I saw it here.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2017, 09:15 PM

I'm getting sick and tired of these dilemmas.

Like, say, whether I should go "whew" or "oh bloody hell" when it looks like the executive is now being run by a triumvirate of Generals.

OreoCookie
Aug 2, 2017, 09:50 PM

Like, say, whether I should go "whew" or "oh bloody hell" when it looks like the executive is now being run by a triumvirate of Generals.
Agreed. It is worrying that generals seems to be one of the few breeds of people Trump seems to respect. I don't want to play armchair psychologist, but it seems he likes people who are used to the idea of having the power to command people to do things. (And probably this is one of the reasons why Trump is so frustrated with how the presidency goes.) Nationalreview had a good op-ed on the subject yesterday, it is not often that this topic is discussed. (Probably also because there are so many stories unfolding that in other administrations would be major news.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2017, 09:57 PM

I forgot where I read it, but someone made the point Republicans are "applied" and Democrats are "theoretical".

Republicans like engineers and military people.

Democrats like scientists and academics.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2017, 02:42 PM

I'm getting sick and tired of these dilemmas.

It's bad. That's not to say there won't be benefits but this is a frightening concept when you consider we have 3 1/2 more years to go.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's bad. That's not to say there won't be benefits but this is a frightening concept when you consider we have 3 1/2 more years to go.
So what we had is preferable, if, say, there's a genuine crisis?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2017, 03:15 PM

So what we had is preferable, if, say, there's a genuine crisis?
That's one of the benefits I'm referring to. Let's say I like it all; the problem is I see it as very undemocratic

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2017, 04:58 PM

That's what I was saying... I don't know whether to go "whew", or "oh bloody hell".

andi*pandi
Aug 3, 2017, 04:59 PM

It all depends on if these are Colin Powell generals or maverick You Can't Handle the Truth generals.

Trump himself needs discipline. If they will keep him from hiring idiots and firing people willynilly then they might be useful.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2017, 05:01 PM

That's what I was saying... I don't know whether to go "whew", or "oh bloody hell".
I caught that and I was giving my answer. Perhaps it's bloody he'll punctuated by whews where necessary?

---

Trump rally tonight. Half the nation hoping he goes unscripted about the grand jury or Mueller

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It all depends on if these are Colin Powell generals or maverick You Can't Handle the Truth generals.

Trump himself needs discipline. If they will keep him from hiring idiots and firing people willynilly then they might be useful.
No. This is undemocratic regardless of what you think of the generals.

andi*pandi
Aug 3, 2017, 05:42 PM

I'm sorry, I was speaking under the guise of my totalitarian loving persona, Jennifer. Jennifer is sorry.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 3, 2017, 06:53 PM

Heh, I already forgot. He could defend his tough talk, too.

I'd love for him to explain his wall comments to his rally-goers.

OreoCookie
Aug 3, 2017, 08:20 PM

I forgot where I read it, but someone made the point Republicans are "applied" and Democrats are "theoretical".

Republicans like engineers and military people.

Democrats like scientists and academics.
I don't think this is an apt analogy. Engineers are pragmatic problem solvers whereas I think part of the GOP's inability to even formulate proposals for laws that fit their own policy goals stems from its emphasis on dogma. I cannot think of a Republican analog of the ACA, where a big change of law was instituted after years, perhaps even decades of struggle. Can you think of an example?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2017, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I don't think this is an apt analogy. Engineers are pragmatic problem solvers whereas I think part of the GOP's inability to even formulate proposals for laws that fit their own policy goals stems from its emphasis on dogma. I cannot think of a Republican analog of the ACA, where a big change of law was instituted after years, perhaps even decades of struggle. Can you think of an example?
My phrasing was poor. Ignore the first sentence.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I'll refer you back to the thread where I asked if the GOP had implemented anything useful or decent whatsoever in the last 50-70 years and no-one was able to come up with anything better than building a bunch of roads maybe. I guess that would at least have required some engineers.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2017, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I'll refer you back to the thread where I asked if the GOP had implemented anything useful or decent whatsoever in the last 50-70 years and no-one was able to come up with anything better than building a bunch of roads maybe. I guess that would at least have required some engineers.
When was this? Did they include the Civil Rights Act of 1991? The Civil Liberties Act of 1988? The Voting Rights Act of 1965? To name a few.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 4, 2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
When was this?
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=526898

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2017, 11:55 AM

I guess WAS had a lapse, there are many examples there besides "better roads"?

I asked if the GOP had implemented anything useful or decent whatsoever in the last 50-70 years and no-one was able to come up with anything better than building a bunch of roads maybe.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2017, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I guess WAS had a lapse, there are many examples there besides "better roads"?
Well Subego tried to give them credit for the collapse of the Soviet Union but frankly thats a stretch. I'm sure they chipped in here and there but the USSR was a victim of its own corruption above everything else. I let it go in the thread because it was the only thing on the list for a while.

I remembered the timeframe wrong, it was the last 30 years no-one could find anything but frankly compared to the list of Democratic accomplishments, the GOP list from 25-50 years was a little on the thin side. If not in terms of the suggested items, then in terms of how much credit they genuinely deserved for them. And this was a thread looking to uncover the good they did rather than mentioning all the bad they did which is a pretty long list without bothering to actually list it.
The Republicans have largely squandered every opportunity they've had to do anything good for the American people for at least three decades. And the argument that their pro-business attitude covers up their lack of other achievements is garbage too since the Democrats have been cleaning up their economic messes for the last 30 years.

Theres no need to rehash that thread though. It revealed something that frankly should have been revelatory to any conservative or swing voter but somehow still wasn't to you or Subego or anyone else that I noticed. Which is a little sad. I thought we'd collectively stumbled on a genuinely little used perspective that might actually stand a chance of changing a mind.
It still ultimately backs OreoCookie's point that the Republicans haven't put much effort into any new and useful legislation in a long time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Aug 5, 2017, 12:27 PM

As we go back in history we must also remember the shift in the parties and what they stand for. The meaning and membership has changed since Lincoln's day.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Theres no need to rehash that thread though. It revealed something that frankly should have been revelatory to any conservative or swing voter
Comparatively, the USA has politically done very little, as a whole, over the last 30 years. Which is because the world is a lot less ****ed up in general, due to technological advancement, FYI.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2017, 02:54 PM

And yet the Democrats have done quite a bit for equality and gay rights, the ACA, the deal with Iran and likely a bunch of the other things mentioned in the one-sided OP of that other thread. While the Republicans have done little more than try to stop that progress and now undo it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2017, 04:07 PM

That's certainly a perspective, alright.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2017, 07:18 AM

Good comeback. I knew when I mentioned it that you'd disagree with the Iran deal, but its a political achievement and I guess time will tell whether its good or bad.
Forgot to say that as well as their policy of obstructionism and trying to strip upwards of 30m people of their healthcare, the GOP has started two wars killing thousands of Americans and possibly hundreds of thousands of foreign civilians, one of those wars illegally; trashed the global economy and is now in the process of selling out the environment to oil companies, the internet to communications companies, the US department of education to Dolores Umbridge and anything they can get away with to Trump himself. Oh and that lovely arms deal to Saudi Arabia.

Big. Damn. Heroes.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 14, 2017, 01:43 PM

He did it! I'm guessing Charlottesville pushed him past the glass basement into lower approval numbers than before (34/61). Will see how long these republicans are turned, especially since he went through the motions today.

andi*pandi
Aug 14, 2017, 08:59 PM

Been away for 5 days with no internet. After reading up on the news:

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2017, 11:30 AM

1st attempt, or brakes gone bad?
http://nypost.com/2017/08/31/rogue-v...mps-motorcade/
An online video has surfaced purportedly showing a vehicle attempting to “ram” President Trump’s motorcade in Missouri, but officials said the incident was simply a case of malfunctioning brakes.
The two-minute YouTube clip shows the beginning of the presidential motorcade cruising down Kearney Street in Springfield on Wednesday when suddenly a white car appears out of a wooded area and veers off to the side of the road.

“Oh my gosh! Look at that car that just came out of the woods!” the man filming the video can be heard saying.

Another man remarks, “What the hell just happened here?”

The group of men watching the incident can then be seen trying to alert security before a car in the motorcade pulls over and three people inside approach the driver.

“Somebody’s going to jail,” one of the men can be heard saying in the video, which is titled: “Vehicle attempts to ram Presidential Motorcade in Springfield, MO.”

The Springfield Police Department commented on the incident on Twitter, saying: “No intent of harm or disruption to motorcade,” and that the driver simply had a problem with her brakes, according to Ozarks First.

Trump traveled to Missouri on Wednesday to tout his tax reform plan.

full version
45/47

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2017, 11:47 AM

It looks exactly as the police described - someone with a mechanical. They veered away from the road onto the shoulder for crying out loud.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 31, 2017, 12:33 PM

Info wars is leaking

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2017, 02:39 AM

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
It looks exactly as the police described - someone with a mechanical. They veered away from the road onto the shoulder for crying out loud.
Is there a road or parking lot behind the trees? They're lucky they did not go head on into a tree. Odd they popped out just as the motorcade was passing.
45/47

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2017, 07:29 AM

Have you completely lost your capacity for rational thought? Why is it odd that a vehicle shows up to an area where and when the President is visiting? The only odd thing is claiming it was intended for nefarious purposes when the vehicle actually deliberately turned away from the road and a possible impending collision.

The only conclusive thing about your post is that it demonstrates a loosening grip on the reality of the world actually around you. Please think about that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2017, 07:44 AM

I vote "car flying out of the woods" is odd because it's not something I experience on a regular basis.

In fact, I experience it so infrequently, I can't rightly recall if I ever have experienced it.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2017, 07:51 AM

It's a laneway in the woods that connects to a main road. You've never seen a car drive out from a laneway to the road? Are you deliberately being obtuse?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2017, 08:01 AM

The ditch and strip of grass are contiguous. I see no laneway.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2017, 08:34 AM

OK. So it's a car that rolled down from the lookout point on top of the hill. You can't really see from that video either way.

What does it matter? It turned away from the road, not onto it - that's a person avoiding a potential collision, even though there were no cars relatively close. And then the police investigated and interviewed them, and said it was simply a mechanical.

There is literally zero evidence that this was an attack attempt other than the timing of the incident. This is prime Alex Jones level conspiracy and you do yourself no service in catering to this ignorant nonsense.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
OK. So it's a car that rolled down from the lookout point on top of the hill. You can't really see from that video either way.

What does it matter? It turned away from the road, not onto it - that's a person avoiding a potential collision, even though there were no cars relatively close. And then the police investigated and interviewed them, and said it was simply a mechanical.

There is literally zero evidence that this was an attack attempt other than the timing of the incident. This is prime Alex Jones level conspiracy and you do yourself no service in catering to this ignorant nonsense.
Dude... put down the rapier for a second. Is everything okay? Nothing has occurred where jumping my shit like this is warranted.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 2, 2017, 11:55 AM

Considering how suspicious police are when there's even a hint of something ("is that marijuana I smell?") - if the cops say there's nothing suspicious, I'll buy it. The secret service in particular is paid to be paranoid. And they cleared her.

Forum Links
Forum Rules