Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rent a PowerBook?

Rent a PowerBook?
mcs37
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2003, 10:47 PM

Hey people, here's the deal: I'm sick of using my desktop. I want a PowerBook but I don't really want to get a new one until next spring when I graduate (and hopefully the 90 nm G5's will have made their way into the lineup).... so I would be happy to use a 15" Titanium PowerBook for a year (1 GHz), but I don't want to have to buy the whole bloody thing for $1800. I figure if I could get it for $1,000, I'd be all over that, or even better, if I could somehow lease one for a year and then give it back. Or rent one? Is this possible? Do people rent computers with, perhaps, a year-long contract? That's not too ridiculous, like $40-50/month?

Boy it would be great to have a 15" PowerBook now.
( Last edited by mcs37; Jul 28, 2003 at 11:02 PM. )

AHDuke99
Jul 28, 2003, 11:28 PM

I have friend in NYC who rented a 12" Powerbook from the Apple Store. He liked it so much he bought it!! Check the store in Durham and see if they do rentals. I have thought about traveling from Winston-Salem to rent one to play games on since I don't see the new 15" coming soon.

mcs37  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by AHDuke99:
I have friend in NYC who rented a 12" Powerbook from the Apple Store. He liked it so much he bought it!! Check the store in Durham and see if they do rentals. I have thought about traveling from Winston-Salem to rent one to play games on since I don't see the new 15" coming soon.
Excellent I'll call them up tomorrow.... good thing I have Apple Southpoint on speed dial! (I'm serious)

Do you know how much he was paying?

tikki
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2003, 11:37 PM

Wow, i would really be interested in that service for when I have big ass presentations to do for classes. Sometimes I am worried my little iBook can't handle tasks, and need a Powerbook. Renting one for a day would be keen

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2003, 11:58 PM

I rented a Powerbook (G3 when they were current) for a month for only $100 when I was deciding if I wanted to own one (I did buy one, but didn't regret speeding the rental fee to find out). They rent for like $30 a day or $150 a week or a couple hundred a month on the rate sheet. When I got there, they dropped the fee down to the $100 month. It depends if your renting during busy season (conventions) or when slow, I think.

Three months ago I inquired about a month's rental again ( for during a Powerlogix G3 900 upgrade, before only cards needed sent in) and the price was the same, G3 Pismo or G4.

They are a Computer Rentals of America affiliate, which is national I believe.

gauchogirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2003, 01:06 AM

Are there any places that allow you to rent-to-own PowerBooks?

mcs37  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by gauchogirl:
Are there any places that allow you to rent-to-own PowerBooks?
Rent-to-own would be nice. I really just want to have a 15" powerbook for a year and then give it back.... but only pay like $50/month to use it. They must be selling those 15" tibooks well if they haven't dropped the price more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules