Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Calendars Updated

Calendars Updated
digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 10:09 PM

3 Versions os Ashen
Revised the Milk version to better align the text.....

I am also going to systematically make versions for all of the popular themes.....at least the ones I like....

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 10:20 PM

Ashen C...

Couldn't you just use the opacity slider in the widget preferences on Ashen B to accomplish the same thing?

Anyway, they look good.

I'd use Ashen if I didn't find the text color choices confusing.

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by justinp:
Ashen C...

Couldn't you just use the opacity slider in the widget preferences on Ashen B to accomplish the same thing?

Anyway, they look good.

I'd use Ashen if I didn't find the text color choices confusing.
The transparency setting affects the whole calendar not just the background......

p.s. Just completed Siro....

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 10:55 PM

Only the background is transparent in that? Optical illusion I guess, it looks like the whole thing is more transparent to me.

CJM
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 11:07 PM

any chance of a NEOS version?

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 11:10 PM

It's on the list but I don't know when....

Mac_Guy15
Jun 28, 2004, 01:07 AM

Any chance of a Siro version?

Makki
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 01:28 AM

Thank you DigitalJames

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by Mac_Guy15:
Any chance of a Siro version?
not yet.....
( Last edited by digitaljames; Jun 28, 2004 at 04:20 PM. )

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
The transparency setting affects the whole calendar not just the background......
Yeah, so just put in a preference slider to adjust background tranparency as well. Like this:

<preference>
<name>bg_transparency</name>
<type>slider</type>
<minLength>0</minLength>
<maxLength>255</maxLength>
<defaultValue>180</defaultValue>
<description>How opaque would you like the background to be?</description>
</preference>

And this:

<action trigger = "onPreferencesChanged">
background.opacity = preferences.bg_transparency.value;
</action>

You can do that, right?

My Widgets have preference panes packed with customization options like this. I sometimes run out of room for them all on screen!

Edit: I'd also be tempted to put all the themes into one Widget, to make things a little neater. You'd have to keep updating it though I suppose. And I imagine people would say "but I only want to use one or two of the themes, and I have to have this 2 or 3 mb Widget full of resources I won't use." As if 2 or 3 mb is a problem! There are arguments against this though.
( Last edited by Ozzpot; Jun 28, 2004 at 06:14 AM. )
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
Yeah, so just put in a preference slider to adjust background tranparency as well. Like this:
[color=blue]
]

You can do that, right?

My Widgets have preference panes packed with customization options like this. I sometimes run out of room for them all on screen!
Of course I can. As long as nice people like you do the coding for me....

P.S. Where might I find one of these feature packed widgets?
( Last edited by digitaljames; Jun 28, 2004 at 06:33 AM. )

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 07:02 AM

Where might I find one of these feature packed widgets?
I'll eMail you one in a minute. My pasta is boiling over.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 03:55 PM

And I am guessing your got permission for these?

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
From who, for what? The graphics are 100% from scratch and only mimic the themes. Except for the Siro background which I will replace forthwith....
( Last edited by digitaljames; Jun 28, 2004 at 04:19 PM. )

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 05:33 PM

They are based on the Moderna Rainlendar Skin for PC, about four years ago, maybe longer. Arlo Rose (as a favor really) made a quickie widget based off of this Moderna skin called "quickiecalendar.widget" which was only available as a forum thread download.

I like your versions "DJ" keep 'em coming. I say if no one is complaining who cares.

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Lord Sith:
They are based on the Moderna Rainlendar Skin for PC, about four years ago, maybe longer. Arlo Rose (as a favor really) made a quickie widget based off of this Moderna skin called "quickiecalendar.widget" which was only available as a forum thread download.

I like your versions "DJ" keep 'em coming. I say if no one is complaining who cares.

I am aware of the windows skinner that made the original Moderna Calendar for Rainlendar as I used to be a Windows guy. The widget that Arlo made was based off of that skin but "is there a copywrite" on a calendar? None of the original graphics are used and its configured with Java and .png files. The Rainlendar stuff is .bmp's and .png's with text .ini files for loading. That being said, unless I rip graphics from a OS X skin to use in my mods I don't think I need permission. The mods are done to compliment the Theme but aren't a perfect match, just my interpetation of what looks good.

Any thoughts anyone? Artists rights are very important to me and I want to be doing the right thing.

dj

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 07:59 PM

I am aware of the windows skinner that made the original Moderna Calendar for Rainlendar as I used to be a Windows guy. The widget that Arlo made was based off of that skin but "is there a copywrite" on a calendar? None of the original graphics are used and its configured with Java and .png files. The Rainlendar stuff is .bmp's and .png's with text .ini files for loading. That being said, unless I rip graphics from a OS X skin to use in my mods I don't think I need permission. The mods are done to compliment the Theme but aren't a perfect match, just my interpetation of what looks good.

Any thoughts anyone? Artists rights are very important to me and I want to be doing the right thing.

dj
You are right, the graphics are yours, but the code is not. You are redistributing a widget as your own but it really is not yours. You just changed the graphics. Stealing code is the same as stealing graphics.

The original Moderna widget was made for me, and I really appreciated the work he put in it for me. I feel embarrassed now that just because I posted a screenshot somewhere and other people picked up on it, someone has grabbed all his hard word and started getting credit for it.

Arlo really did not care about this widget and I don't think it took him very long to make. I would really take your downloads offline, contact him, show him what you have and ask permission and I am 99 percent sure that he will give it to you no problem.

It has nothing to do with waiting around for complaints about it, it has to do with respecting the author who originally put in all the hard work to make it in the first place.

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 08:45 PM

You are right, the graphics are yours, but the code is not. You are redistributing a widget as your own but it really is not yours. You just changed the graphics. Stealing code is the same as stealing graphics.

The original Moderna widget was made for me, and I really appreciated the work he put in it for me. I feel embarrassed now that just because I posted a screenshot somewhere and other people picked up on it, someone has grabbed all his hard word and started getting credit for it.

Arlo really did not care about this widget and I don't think it took him very long to make. I would really take your downloads offline, contact him, show him what you have and ask permission and I am 99 percent sure that he will give it to you no problem.

It has nothing to do with waiting around for complaints about it, it has to do with respecting the author who originally put in all the hard work to make it in the first place.
There are only so many ways you can script the same function........... and it is well known that many, many widgets borrow code.
Did you e-mail Arlo and ask him to remove his DL link? Whether or not he cared about the widget, didn't give him the right to copy the art of somebody else and put it up for download........ or did it, since he really did not care about it. Did the original author give permission to Arlo?

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 09:14 PM

How is the look of a Calendar someones art? The rainlendar version uses a strip of semitransparent squares with the days as part of the graphic. The konfab widget uses one graphic for the day, one for the current day and a background file, the days and such are called by the script. The only similarity between the two is the look onscreen but they arrived at it in different ways. The ones I'm making have nothing in common appearance wise with the original Moderna Calendar. I will email Arlo and ask him if his generic java code can be used. If not, I will modify the existing code using alternate java scripts that are freely available. Ozzpot has already given me use of some of his code for inclusion so it won't be Arlo's anyway. Satisfied?

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 09:59 PM

How is the look of a Calendar someones art? The rainlendar version uses a strip of semitransparent squares with the days as part of the graphic. The konfab widget uses one graphic for the day, one for the current day and a background file, the days and such are called by the script. The only similarity between the two is the look onscreen but they arrived at it in different ways. The ones I'm making have nothing in common appearance wise with the original Moderna Calendar. I will email Arlo and ask him if his generic java code can be used. If not, I will modify the existing code using alternate java scripts that are freely available. Ozzpot has already given me use of some of his code for inclusion so it won't be Arlo's anyway. Satisfied?
Well the look between the original windows one and the Mac one are very similar. I have no idea how it could be considered stealing that way, but if I was the windows dev of the Moderna skin, I guess I might feel a little ripped off. Who knows.

Good call on emailing Arlo, I am sure he will appreciate it, especially after today's tiger dashboard fiasco. I am guessing he is not feeling well at the moment. Anyways, keep the calendars coming, they are looking great!

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 10:07 PM

Lots of words, blah blah blah
From Konfabulator.com:
For the "skinning" crowd, Konfabulator is a dream come true. You can easily change the look, feel, layout, even functionality of a Widget so that it matches your lifestyle, your desktop, or the pants or skirt you have on that day.
Couple that with the fact that there are numerous widgets in the Konfabulator.com gallery that use the same code with their own graphics and you have pretty solid ground to stand on when it comes to creating a new skin for a widget.

digitaljames hasn't touched the code at all, it is still credited to Arlo in the .kon

You have no grounds to complain. Why not go bother Arlo and see if he got permission to copy the interface of Rainlender.

digitaljames  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 10:11 PM

It's a moot point now. Arlo has given me permission to use his code.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 10:04 PM

It's a moot point now. Arlo has given me permission to use his code.
Great news man!

Forum Links
Forum Rules