Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Windows 10

Windows 10
subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2015, 04:05 PM

Is this as big of a disaster as the places I hang out at are saying? It really seems like they dropped the ball on this one.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2015, 07:48 PM

I have to use it daily. It undoes the vast majority of the problems introduced with Windows 8, while introducing very few issues of its own. The only real problems I've faced with it so far are some video driver issues that prevent my work computer from sleeping properly.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2015, 07:52 PM

There's the privacy thing, which you can sort out with registry tweaks, but otherwise it's much better than 8.1.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

P
Nov 25, 2015, 05:56 AM

IMO, Windows 10 is fine. It fixes all the big problems of Windows 8, and the little privacy things are exactly what I expect from MS. The foundation seems very stable, which is what counts.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves
Nov 25, 2015, 09:23 AM

The reviews seem to be decent enough. I have not used it myself, however.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2015, 10:12 AM

It's easier on the eyes for sure, but it's still the same old clunky shit you would expect from Microsoft - the company that makes the user all too aware that they're using a Microsoft product.

edit: I am forced to use this OS for one specific task, so I am incredibly biased in case you didn't notice.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2015, 05:43 AM

Its not a great tactic though, release a POS that everyone hates, then release a working version a couple of years later and expect everyone to be pleased. At least its free.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2015, 11:31 AM

I wasn't talking so much about usability, but that they seem to be forcing updates.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2015, 12:26 PM

Nah, Windows 10 is fine

I use it daily at home now, and while the privacy issues cause concern, you can deactivate all of it. It's far more usable than 8 (and even 7, for that matter). The UI is an improvement as well. My main gripe is reserved for the ugly-as-sin icons.

P
Nov 27, 2015, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I wasn't talking so much about usability, but that they seem to be forcing updates.
This was overstated in the media. MS was pushing it about as much as Apple is pushing OS X update to Yosemite and El Capitan, by various notifications popping up. After the initial push, it was moved to only show up as an optional update in Windows Update. That meant that under certain (non-default) settings, that meant that it was downloaded and the updater launched automatically, but it never installed silently - you had to go ahead and approved the update in a very non-standard dialog box.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Nov 27, 2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its not a great tactic though, release a POS that everyone hates, then release a working version a couple of years later and expect everyone to be pleased. At least its free.
It's not so much a tactic as the only thing they can execute lately (Vista and Win 7 was the same thing). MS' strategy has been pretty decent, but their execution is shite and has been since Bill left. Nadella seems to understand that and is working to fix it. Not sure he can do it, though.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2015, 10:00 PM

I'm good with it, it's the future for sure and will be around as long as XP was/is.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2015, 11:14 PM

I expect updates to come more frequently like OS X from now on.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2015, 01:52 AM

Yeah, Windows 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc..
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I'm good with it, it's the future for sure and will be around as long as XP was/is.
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I expect updates to come more frequently like OS X from now on.
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Yeah, Windows 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc..
All probably true.

However, knowing Microsoft's history, it seems like they'd be hesitant to push out an update named 10.1 when Mac OSX is at 10.11. They've previously seemed very insecure about that perception.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2015, 01:08 AM

Windows 10 updates will simply be named after the date in which they are released. For example, Windows 10 624 will come out on June 24th, etc.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2015, 01:44 AM

They also might just start skipping numbers regularly. Next version might be Windows 12, followed by Windows 15, followed by Windows 42.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2015, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
They also might just start skipping numbers regularly. Next version might be Windows 12, followed by Windows 15, followed by Windows 42.
Well, you forgot they may go randomly backwards as well. I am still holding out for the XBOX 720, which will come out after the XBOX TWO.

P
Dec 1, 2015, 05:10 AM

Nonono, they're counting down. The next Xbox is clearly the Xbox Zero, which will be the last one before the singularity.

Joking outside, Windows 10 is software as a service. They will update it regularly and not advertise it at all. How they will rescue the clusterF that is Xbox branding is beyond me. Probably there will be a new proper name, like Xbox VR or something.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 1, 2015, 10:36 AM

Upgraded my gaming/HTPC this weekend. So far Fallout 3 stopped working (super convenient since I just started playing it), and I'm having trouble in Windows Explorer and Chrome, I'm not sure if it's the computer or my VNC connection, but I never had these problems before.

P
Dec 1, 2015, 12:31 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 1, 2015, 12:39 PM

4) This step solves most random and post-intro movie new game crashes!
Especially crashes when hearing the baby cry.
Shortcut: Optional step 6 now does this for you automatically.

Edit with notepad:
My Documents\my games\Fallout3\FALLOUT.INI
or Cusers\yourname\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\FALLOUT.ini
This may appear as "FALLOUT" in windows explorer.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT EDIT Fallout_default.ini !!! You're in the wrong directory!!!
find (control F) bUseThreadedAI=0
CHANGE to bUseThreadedAI=1
Immediately after this line, ADD this new line:
iNumHWThreads=2
Could the solution be any more Windows than this?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2015, 01:54 PM

Yeah, I ran into the Fallout 3 issue as well. Was a quick fix, but still annoying.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2015, 09:52 PM

Working on the Fallout fixes now. Except Windows Explorer crashes every time I open it via the taskbar or Start menu.

That's a tough thing to figure out without using...Windows Explorer.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2015, 12:06 AM

Windows 10 itself is pretty nice. MUCH better than Windows 8.1. But actually UPDRADING a machine from Win 8.1 to Win 10? Good luck with that.

OAW

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2015, 12:07 PM

I didn't really have much trouble at all upgrading. I don't remember the details exactly, but my first attempt flubbed, but the second go-around didn't cause any issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules