Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Outlook X

Outlook X
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2001, 04:17 PM

What is the future of Outlook for the Mac? Is there an Outlook version for Mac OS X planned, or is Entourage the effective Exchange mail replacement for Outlook?

me
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2001, 01:58 AM

Entourage v.X doesn't support exchange, that is a planned feature for the next version. I know its a big issues for the MacBU, they hate outlook as much as the rest of us =)

str1
Nov 21, 2001, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by me:
<STRONG>Entourage v.X doesn't support exchange, that is a planned feature for the next version. I know its a big issues for the MacBU, they hate outlook as much as the rest of us =)</STRONG>
I love your sig. Brilliant. I'd never even noticed that before!

Cheers
Scott

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2001, 04:37 AM

Entourage IS Outlook Express imho. too bad you gotta pay for it now. hey I know Apple stick Outlook Express in for free pre installed into OS 9, let use get used to it, then with a more advanced OS (X) downgrade and pre installed Mail.crapp - so to use what we have become accustomed to we have to pay big buck$.

yeah that makes sense
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 11:48 AM

i agree with EddieDesignsDotCom. much tho' i hate micro$oft, oulook express was everything that mail.crapp isn't. it was intuitive, fast, stable and a natural successor to apple's own much lamented claris emailer.

it's such a comedown after using emailer for years and later OE to have to crank up that POS mail.crapp in X

i haven't tried entourage. can you get hold of it as a seperate app or is it only available [and runs as] part of office? .... and how like OE is it?

if micro$oft aren't going to release OE for X maybe they could at least release the source code and let somebody else have a go at porting it. after all it's a freebie, so they won't lose any of those $$$$ which are so close to their hearts.

[did i really just suggest micro$oft might give something away?! ]

SMacEslin
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2001, 12:40 PM

I had not heard of any plans for Entourage to support the exchange servers. I was led to believe that we were stuck running Outllook (not Express) for exchange and Entourage X for all else...

HotDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2001, 09:28 PM

Anyone know when we can expect Outlook (for Exchange) for MacOS X. The is the only thing keeping Classic on my system.

Alex

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2001, 10:29 PM

How the hell do you import outlook addresses into Entourage? I've tried a number of methods and they all come out distorted.

I think what I might do is:

Outlook PC --&gt; Visor Deluxe.

Visor Deluxe --&gt; Entourage OS 9.

Entourage OS 9 --&gt; file --&gt; Entourage X.

I suspect this will work but what a pain in the @ss.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2001, 10:32 PM

Outlook PC --&gt; vCard
vCard --&gt; Entourage X

still a pain in the ass
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 28, 2001, 12:29 AM

I have Entourage for OSX now that I have Office.
I like it.
Looks pretty similar to what i remember Outlook Express looking like...
Which is better- Outlook or Entourage?
what are their differences?
i'm very curious to know.. thanks a lot for any responses.

Mike
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Celeborn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2001, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
<STRONG>if micro$oft aren't going to release OE for X maybe they could at least release the source code and let somebody else have a go at porting it. ]</STRONG>
Microsoft release source code? Heehee.
"We apologize for the inconvenience"

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2001, 12:56 PM

I have Entourage for OSX now that I have Office.
I like it.
Looks pretty similar to what i remember Outlook Express looking like...
Which is better- Outlook or Entourage?
what are their differences?
i'm very curious to know.. thanks a lot for any responses.
The main difference between Entourage and Outlook is that Outlook supports Exchange Mail. Exchange Mail is a monolithic mail system designed in particular for LANs...

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2001, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
<STRONG>if micro$oft aren't going to release OE for X maybe they could at least release the source code and let somebody else have a go at porting it. after all it's a freebie, so they won't lose any of those $$$$ which are so close to their hearts.
</STRONG>
I think people are getting Outlook and Outlook Express confused here. They are separate programs. As mentioned above Outlook is designed to support Exchange servers, a product of MS for LANs. Outlook Express is, or was, the freebie email software available back before Entourage came out.

Entourage is more or less a replacement of Outlook Express and as such is the defacto MS mail program for OS X (although not free as was OE). There is no replacement as of yet for Outlook on OS X. This is the issue for those of us in corporate environments who are lashed to an Exchange server for email.

As for me, I'm in the same boat, I am basically using Classic only to get my email through Outlook at work, and I wish the MS Mac BU would come clean if the migration of Outlook to OS X will happen. A simple yes or no from them would suffice for starters.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2001, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
<STRONG>Outlook PC --&gt; vCard
vCard --&gt; Entourage X

still a pain in the ass</STRONG>
Is it possible to save a vCard for all in a batch. I have a ton contacts to transfer from Outlook PC (not Express).

By the way, is there a way of changing the "Reply To" email address? It seems Entourage just takes the "Reply To" address from the email address ID.

HotDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2001, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
<STRONG>
A simple yes or no from them would suffice for starters. </STRONG>
I agree we need to know what the status is. The only reason I still have classic is for Outlook (for Exchange).

Alex

ameat
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2001, 11:48 PM

you guys are missing another thing...

entourage is MORE than just outlook express.

entourage has a full featured calendar and scheduling function as well as a souped up address book and a note and task area as well...outlook express was simply for email and address book.

the calendar in entourage is extremely nice compared to others i've used.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2001, 02:06 AM

Jesus.

Outlook Express is the free classic mail application from microsoft.

Outlook Exchange is the LAN focused mail application from MS. It accesses Exchange servers, a windows thing.

Entourage X is the office v X version of Entourage 2001, which was the email client for Office 2001. Most people don't use Entourage to its fullest potential. Entourage is Outlook on crack. A bagillion and two times more feature-full than the free version and well worth the dollar IF you are going to use it to its fullest. It is a true personal information manager, with a much more detailed address book, calendars/events and reminders able to occur WITHOUT entourage actually running. Entourage also interfaces with office, allowing you to automagically place contact information into a word document for a letter for example. It also checks spelling of names against your address book while in word, excel, etc.

Entourage is NOT outlook express for a hundred bucks. Entourage is well worth the money IF you are the kind of person who cannot live without their palm pilot/day runner/etc. A business person with a pile of addresses/names/contacts and recieving a bagillion and two emails a day and has daily meetings and appointments that cannot possibly be kept in their head.

hope this helps.

Oh, MS has said (too late to look for a link) repeatedly that they will not be creating an outlook express X because mail.crapp is holding the slot as the 'free-email-application-that-comes-with-the-computer".

nick.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2001, 03:04 AM

Both Entourage X and 2001 refuse to work with my school's LDAP server. Same goes for Outlook Express 2002 for Windows. OE 5 worked fine on my Mac, and I really like entourage but that LDAP server is key, since it replaces the need for most of my address book.

Mail.app works fine with the LDAP server here, and it has one up on Entourage or OE since it automatically auto-completes addresses via LDAP, which is a lifesaver. Netscape 4 has this too, but no one uses netscape 4 (except for a few thousand people here). . .

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2001, 08:53 AM

this is sort of off topic, but does anybody have an installation log of all the files installed with the single user version of Office?

Aside from ~Library/Pref/Microsoft and a couple of .plist files in the prefs, and the main Office X folder in /Applications, I don't see any other files.

However, if Entourage provides reminders, surely it must have installed something at the system level?

I've encountered what might be a bug, and am hoping to track this down...

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2001, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
<STRONG>Entourage X is the office v X version of Entourage 2001, which was the email client for Office 2001. Most people don't use Entourage to its fullest potential. Entourage is Outlook on crack. A bagillion and two times more feature-full than the free version and well worth the dollar IF you are going to use it to its fullest. It is a true personal information manager, with a much more detailed address book, calendars/events and reminders able to occur WITHOUT entourage actually running. Entourage also interfaces with office, allowing you to automagically place contact information into a word document for a letter for example. It also checks spelling of names against your address book while in word, excel, etc.

Entourage is NOT outlook express for a hundred bucks. Entourage is well worth the money IF you are the kind of person who cannot live without their palm pilot/day runner/etc. A business person with a pile of addresses/names/contacts and recieving a bagillion and two emails a day and has daily meetings and appointments that cannot possibly be kept in their head.</STRONG>
If my post describing Entourage was erroneous FUD, I apologize. Any ignorance on my part is based on the fact that whatever great stuff it has does nothing for me or anyone else tied to Exchange. An equally integrated Outlook is needed for us corporate people, not OE or Entourage, unless of course they build Exchange support into Entourage (which IMHO would be the most logical thing to do).

So in short, wasn't trying to minimize Entourage's features, which are indeed pretty complete. It's only unfortunate that I have to ignore them and boot into Classic for now.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Nov 29, 2001, 02:04 PM

I too am "chained" to Exchange. I have been able to set up a POP account in Entourage X to recive my mail, but I cannot duplicate the folder structure or send mail out from it.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2001, 02:31 PM

You should be able to read your Exchange mail by setting up an IMAP session to the Exchange server (you'll need IMAP to duplicate the folder structure in reponse to the last post), and you should be able to send mail using your local relay.

What you won't be able to do is use the Outlook/Exchange Calendar, and Global Address Book.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2001, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
<STRONG>What you won't be able to do is use the Outlook/Exchange Calendar, and Global Address Book.</STRONG>
...which is what I need if I want to know what meetings to attend and where, and how to contact those involved if I need to. [/LIST]

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2001, 04:27 PM

A bit off topic- but I think mail.app is getting unfairly crapped on. It has it's limitations, most notably (for me anyway) is it sub-standard filtering. But to compensate for the lack of features is, in my opinion, a very nice interface. The MS products do lots of nice stff, but they look like hell- way to cluttered for my tastes. Perhaps becuse my OSX box is not my main work computer right now (i'm still running 9 with outlook- damn exchange!)- I can live with mail.app's shortcomings for personal mail- it's just looks good.

Paco

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Nov 29, 2001, 07:27 PM

<STRONG>You should be able to read your Exchange mail by setting up an IMAP session to the Exchange server (you'll need IMAP to duplicate the folder structure in reponse to the last post), and you should be able to send mail using your local relay.

What you won't be able to do is use the Outlook/Exchange Calendar, and Global Address Book.</STRONG>
I cannot seem to find the option to make that account show up as a seperate section without mixing it up with other accounts.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2001, 01:24 PM

Roofus:

Are you setting up the mail server as type "IMAP" or "POP3"?

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2001, 02:42 PM

I use Entourage X with IMAP to communicate to my Exchange 2000 SP2 server.

I can suck down calendar events that way. It works out ok.

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
<STRONG>

...which is what I need if I want to know what meetings to attend and where, and how to contact those involved if I need to. [/LIST]</STRONG>

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Nov 30, 2001, 02:47 PM

<STRONG>Roofus:

Are you setting up the mail server as type "IMAP" or "POP3"?</STRONG>
Nevermind. I got it set up. Except I cannot figure out what to set up as the SMTP server to send mail. I tried the same thing as the IMAP server but it didn't work.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2001, 02:55 PM

Roofus:

You should use the same SMTP server you use for all other IMAP/POP3 email accounts on your network that have been setup successfully.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Nov 30, 2001, 07:49 PM

<STRONG>Roofus:

You should use the same SMTP server you use for all other IMAP/POP3 email accounts on your network that have been setup successfully.</STRONG>
Ah, which won't work for me since our companys proxy doesn't let those out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules