Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DP 1.8 GHz good for gaming?

DP 1.8 GHz good for gaming?
rambo47
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 10:04 PM

Quake, Unreal Tournament, Halo, StarWars, MOHAA, etc. Frist person shooters mainly. Would I be better served by a singel processor for gaming on a Mac, or are some of these games optimized for dual processors?

Truepop
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 11:11 PM

Quake 3 has a dual processor opt'd version. with UT you will have a problem because games running in classic are crap and G5s will not boot to OS 9.

I have dual 1GHz G4 that runs all those games almost flawlessly and you won't be disappointed with a dual 1.8

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2004, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by Truepop:
with UT you will have a problem because games running in classic are crap and G5s will not boot to OS 9.
My version(s) of unreal tournament (2003 & 2004) run fine in OSX. I don't have classic on my computer. It is also my understanding (I may be wrong) that Unreal does not support dual processing.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2004, 11:34 AM

Unreal Tournament does not support Duals, and I do not believe 2003 does either. But 2004 does.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 12:38 PM

FWIW, Ghost Recon fan great on a single 1.6 with all options maxed out.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Unreal Tournament does not support Duals, and I do not believe 2003 does either. But 2004 does.
One clarification to this. The only benefit that UT 2003 or UT 2004 get from dual processors is that the sound runs on the second processor.

By the way Truepop is referring to the original UT. There is a half-decent patch to the original UT to allow it to run in MacOS X. The original UT has no support for dual processors.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
One clarification to this. The only benefit that UT 2003 or UT 2004 get from dual processors is that the sound runs on the second processor.
Still makes a huge difference in performance.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 03:10 PM

I would hold off until WWDC (June 28) before grabbing a PowerMac, but if you had to get one now a dual 1.8 would be fine - just be sure to upgrade the order to include at least a Radeon 9600 Pro. There's a dramatic difference in performance between that and the FX 5200 Ultra.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Link
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 04:13 PM

One big thing to note about the powermac is there's a 99% chance of expected updates between the 26th and 28th, but dual vs single?

The dual will be a better machine in every way -- and even if the game doesn't support DP, the machine will be able to allocate more of that one processor to the game

Remember though that singles are dirt cheap, on the other hand the torque provided by the 2nd processor is still almost worth it.
Aloha

traktimino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 04:48 PM

a dual processor really owns a single in every aspect

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2004, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Link:
The dual will be a better machine in every way -- and even if the game doesn't support DP, the machine will be able to allocate more of that one processor to the game
While that's true, most Mac games don't seem to gain much from dual processors.

rambo47  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 04:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I'll definitely wait for WWDC to see if the boys in Cupertino give us some new bells and whistles, but it looks like a DP 1.8 will be joining the network. Of course, if a DP 1.8 kicks gaming butt, then a DP 2.6 or 3.0 .....

Forum Links
Forum Rules