Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Frosted iPod - pix

Frosted iPod - pix
zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2001, 10:03 PM

Non-mirror iPod. I couldn't take the smudges, fingerprints and fine scratches, so I took the back off and beadblasted it.

'Pod pix

Zack

ender2002
Senior User
Nov 14, 2001, 10:11 PM

Pretty cool. That's like what some people did with the icebooks to make the scratches less noticable.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2001, 10:11 PM

Not to bad I still like mine the way it is. waiting for the sleve from that other company, can't remember off the top of my head

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2001, 11:01 PM

Very interesting! Can you tell us exactly what kind of equipment a "beadblaster" is? I have visions of big yellow caterpillar tractors and jackhammers when I see that word! What are the usual applications of a beadblaster?

marusin
Senior User
Nov 14, 2001, 11:48 PM

zac4mac,

That's f'ing awesome!
Tell how you did that again? I'm not familiar with the whole "beadblasting" pasttime..

-Mike

aladdinsane
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2001, 02:03 AM

How did you get the back off?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2001, 02:15 AM

Cool, I think if I were to do that, I'd find a way to protect the apple and lettering to keep that shiny, while the rest becomes a little better.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

zac4mac  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2001, 02:54 AM

SirC - the Apple logo and other text on the back are either blasted with a mask or acid etched. Maybe plasma etched but I have no experience with that . From the texture, I'd guess it was blasted, with a much coarser grit than I used.

I'm not sure of the grit size I used, it's fine white silica in a small blaster booth downstairs in our machine shop. I believe the beads are .001-.003". I work upstairs in R&D and use it for prototype medical instruments to give the surface a soft, satin finish.

If you don't know what a bead-blaster is, it's a contraption with a tank of "sand" and a high pressure air hose. The nozzle has a venturi that creates a vacuum and pulls the sand in with the air stream. Kinda like a portable, concentrated sand-storm.

To get the back off(I'm sure this voids the warranty), I run my thumbnail down one side from the top(along the edge of the metal), then repeat on the other side. The back is held on by 5(on each side)plastic tabs, extending from the front case and 2 on the bottom. None on top. There's a rail inside the metal back that they latch into.
It's a "spring-clip" arrangement and the only chance for damage is too much force may warp the back. Once you have both sides separated by 4 or 5 mm at the top, pull the top back, pivoting out from the 2 latches on the bottom. Voila, an open iPod.

Understand, this process has a possibility for damage that is inversely proportional to your mechanical aptitude and experience.

aladdinsane
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2001, 03:30 AM

Cool, I tried it and it worked (few minutes). If you follow the instructions above and are careful I don't think there is much risk of damaging the iPod. Just be careful not be tempted using screwdriver or any metal because I fear it will damage your plastic.

Anyhow, I had no plans beadblasting my iPod, I was just curious. And frankly, unless you are willing to do much more (and complicated) opening there is not much to see when the back is off.

I would advice people not to open it except they are going to beadblast or paint spray the back or something - nothing to see. My camera is at work but I bet there will be pictures of open iPod here soon.

zac4mac  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2001, 03:35 AM

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2001, 09:33 AM

wow. that looks really cool. its nice that it didnt take the logos/lettering off. so it doesnt show any fingerprints now? i remember in the steve-introing-the-ipod video when he pulled it out of his pocket it was all fingerprinty as hell...

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2001, 11:03 PM

As an aside, would it be possible to bead-blast larger items? I'm thinking of something along the size
of a bicycle frame. Some of the higher-end mountain bikes have bead-blasted frames with the logo of
the company etched into the metal. How do they do that?

As an side, it looks pretty nice on the back of the iPod - sort of a faux-velvety texture.

<pro underwear>
Nov 16, 2001, 11:17 AM

i'd like to bead blast "wiggles"

zac4mac  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2001, 11:25 PM

Todd, anything can be bead/sand blasted. They do it to the Golden Gate Bridge every now and then. Designs are blasted using a mask, like air-brushing.

hehe I agree, ProU -

Just wanted to say thanks to all who dropped in to look at my 'Pod.
I turned on the counter for the page when I set it up, and it's been hit over 2,600 times.
I haven't wiped the case off since thursday and it still looks great. Took it up into the mountains to watch the meteor storm, was in the mid 20's at almost 9,000' and still working great.

Even got an e-mail from a guy at Apple... but that was about the backlit keyboard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules