Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > WTB: Barnes & Noble "nook" ($300-ish)

WTB: Barnes & Noble "nook" ($300-ish)
rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2009, 12:38 PM

I want one, and I don't wish to wait until February. I've ordered one from B&N but will cancel if I find one before my order ships.

It must be pristine. If there is a single scuff or scratch on the screen, even in the corner at the very edge, I don't want it. Sorry, but screen marks of any kind make me absolutely crazy. Mad as a hatter. Drives me straight up a tree. Well, you get the idea...

BNIB is best, and I'd pay a tad over $300 for that. Original accessories and box are essential, extra stuff is not. I'm not really looking for anything but the original package and won't pay more for accessories I don't want.

I had one bought here locally in northern NJ, but my buddy decided he could get more on eBay and begged out of our deal. As a friend I had no choice but to let him try and get the best price he could, so he listed it on eBay and sold it. First one was a deadbeat bidder, no intention of ever paying. Sounded like a little kid actually. So he re-listed. He got a great price, over $400, but also a request to ship to Africa and to accept "Storm Pay". He almost fell for it too, but once again I bailed him out with some last-second advice. He asked for a ride to the post office to mail it! That's when I intervened and told him to show me the details of the sale. Close one. Never heard from that "traveling missionary" again either. Re-re-listed, made the sale, and now locked in a dispute with a scam buyer. Claims to have paid, never did, and actually filed a dispute with eBay. Now my buddy's account is frozen pending resolution of the complaint, they want some kind of escrow arrangement where the Nook and payment both go to a third-party who will hold everything until the deal is complete, then send each party's stuff at the same time. This won't be resolved anytime soon, and I'm not waiting for him now. He's begging me to make the original deal with him again and wait for resolution to get my Nook, but that's not happening. So here I am.

I'm PayPal verified, which is my preferred method of payment. I'm in northern NJ and can do a local meet here and in NYC, for which I would pay cash instead of PayPal (unless the seller really wants PayPal).

Best contact method is PM here, as my email spam filter is cranked up all the way to "Taliban".

rambo47  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2009, 10:16 AM

I've ordered one, brand-spankin' new, from Barnes & Noble, shipping Feb. 1st. Ergo, I will not go higher now then $300 and will drop my price as time goes on. Also, as my shipping date approaches I intend to cancel my interest in a used/pre-owned nook altogether. So if you're thinking of making an offer and are hesitating, your window is rapidly closing.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I had one bought here locally in northern NJ, but my buddy decided he could get more on eBay and begged out of our deal. As a friend I had no choice but to let him try and get the best price he could, so he listed it on eBay and sold it. First one was a deadbeat bidder, no intention of ever paying. Sounded like a little kid actually. So he re-listed. He got a great price, over $400, but also a request to ship to Africa and to accept "Storm Pay". He almost fell for it too, but once again I bailed him out with some last-second advice. He asked for a ride to the post office to mail it! That's when I intervened and told him to show me the details of the sale. Close one. Never heard from that "traveling missionary" again either. Re-re-listed, made the sale, and now locked in a dispute with a scam buyer. Claims to have paid, never did, and actually filed a dispute with eBay. Now my buddy's account is frozen pending resolution of the complaint, they want some kind of escrow arrangement where the Nook and payment both go to a third-party who will hold everything until the deal is complete, then send each party's stuff at the same time. This won't be resolved anytime soon, and I'm not waiting for him now. He's begging me to make the original deal with him again and wait for resolution to get my Nook, but that's not happening. So here I am.
Err, what?

From the sound of things in the Lounge, not many people are knackered by the Nook (or any ebook readers). Perhaps you could post in an ebook reader forum?

Forum Links
Forum Rules