Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > is AltiVec (Velocity Engine)for ALL G4's?

is AltiVec (Velocity Engine)for ALL G4's?
zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 1999, 05:05 PM

recently had a sales person at CompUSA(Boulder,Co) tell me that velocity engine was NOT enabled on the 350 Yikes boxes. I didn't think too much of it until Sunday, when i stopped in to check on Apple Demo Days and the banners at the G4 box display AND the local MUG rep said the same thing...if true this does not bode well for a G4 upgrade in my fufure...

microSPARC
Nov 29, 1999, 06:48 PM

I don't think that's true. I would have seen that somewhere if it were. If the Yikes had no Altivec it would be a grey G3/350 for a very bad price.

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 1999, 09:11 PM

I've noticed that CompUSA sales people seem to know nothing about Macs except about how to sell them. Whenever I ask a question, I get a dumb, useless answer.

Anyway, back to your question. ALL the G4s have Altivec. microsparc is right, the new G4s would be a waste of money if they didn't have the velocity engine.

BTW, you might want to wait until the January MacWorld Expo so APple can maybe release new revised G4s.
-Blakhawkg3

zac4mac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 1999, 12:46 PM

ya i know, that's what i told those guys too...why buy a non-altivec 350 when you can get a G3400-500 for the same price...didn't make sense but i wondered how much access to MaxBus and its increased bandwidth had to do with altivec's speed boost as that is the only processor related difference i know of between yikes and sawtooth

Forum Links
Forum Rules