Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple jumps from 55th to 19th in Fortune Global 500 rankings

Apple jumps from 55th to 19th in Fortune Global 500 rankings
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 8, 2013, 03:13 PM

Apple has jumped from 55th to 19th place in this year's edition of the Fortune Global 500. The chart ranks the biggest corporations in the world, and in its new position Apple sits above companies like GM, Daimler, GE, and Ford. "The introductions of the iPhone 5 and a the 7-inch iPad Mini helped propel the tech giant's revenues up from $108 billion in 2011 to $157 billion last year," Fortune writes, also remarking that the company has over 76,100 workers.

Elsewhere though the publication points out that Apple's ranking is based on the results of its 2012 fiscal year, which ended in September. Around that time Apple stock began a precipitous slide, falling from $700 to under $400, although it has since rebounded over the $400 mark. The drop has been blamed on investor worries about everything from lower-than-expected iPhone 5 sales to Apple's own decision to switch to more realistic guidance.

The top five companies in Global 500 are Shell, Walmart, Exxon, Sinopec, and China National Petroleum, each of which pulled in over $400 billion in revenues. The only high-technology company above Apple is Samsung, which is also more diversified.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2013, 03:33 PM

IMO anything over $500/share was speculation.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

pairof9s
Senior User
Jul 8, 2013, 03:52 PM

I'd say if you've ever followed Apple's stock price, the fact that most top analysts had projected Apple to be #17 or better probably best explains the drop in price, at least today.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2013, 11:53 PM

I do find it amusing that the same analysts that have been dragging down the stock also are the ones who expected Apple to leap even higher than it did.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

shawnde
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2013, 03:19 AM

I also find ALL the Fortune 500 lists to be misleading and frankly bogus, since their ultimate metric is revenue and not profit. You can have all the revenue in the world, and not turn a dime in profit, and you still get a ranking on Fortune 500 (I'm sure AMZN is on there). Therefore, if actually use PROFIT as the metric, AAPL will probably shoot up to top 5 in there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules