Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 1.25 (Firewire 800) Problems! Help???

Dual 1.25 (Firewire 800) Problems! Help???
whokilledkaji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2003, 09:45 PM

I have had tons of problems with my new 1.25DP Firewire 800 model... (10.2.4 with new firmware)

In the last three days I've had involuntary log outs, crashing iApps, airport issues, waking from sleep issues and I've seen the fancy new kernel panic screen more than once... I am actually pretty unhappy with my system... I've never had this much trouble with a Mac before. Especially not with Jaguar...

Last night I had so many crashes that I decided to scrap the hard drive and restore the software... I decided not to update the firmware and I also didn't install 10.2.4...

Everything seems a little bit better now aside from the Airport. I guess that's because I have a non-Airport Extreme white base station. Hmmm...

I haven't had enough time to fully test my new install, but I definetly think it helped...

Any suggestions, comments? Any help?

Thanks!

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2003, 12:40 AM

Always be sure to use the Disk Utility included in the path Library/Utilities in order to repair disk permissions on the OS X startup disk. I do this on a routine basis in order to help clear up and prevent the problems you are describing. Read more about it in the Apple Tech Info Library online.
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

whokilledkaji  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2003, 04:05 AM

Are you referring to the disc utility in the /Applications/Utilities directory? If so, I tried that. I also booted into single user mode and used fsck -y at least three times... Nothing was reported as being wrong by either method... I also checked the RAM and ran the system hardware test... Nothing there either...

Anyways, it does seem to be a kernel related memory error... Back in August I remember hearing this same type of problem with OS 10.1.3 and dual 800's... jaguar fixed that for them, I guess... I can only assume that 10.2.4 or the firmware is the problem...

I wonder if there is a correlation?

This is pretty strange...

Thinine
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 04:20 AM

Call Apple, they may be able to help.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by whokilledkaji:

I decided not to update the firmware and I also didn't install 10.2.4...
Just so ya know, when you update the firmware, it's there to stay, even if you reinstall the operating system. The only way to change your firmware version would be to try and install an older version.

whokilledkaji  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2003, 10:15 AM

I'd call, but I live in Japan now... There is no English support here... I could call the USA, but it would be super expensive...

Ah, yes... Firmware... Oops...

-Jeff

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 11:29 AM

How much RAM do you have, and is any of it third-party? If you've got large enough chips, (You really need 256 to run the OS) try pulling one at a time to see if that clears things up.

Also, my Cube got a little flaky after upgrading 10.1 to 10.2, then installing all the incremental updates one at a time to 10.2.4. I backed up, wiped the drive, installed 10.2. clean, then ran the 10.2.4 combo updater and it's been up ever since-- 13 days without a single prob. I think update upon update can introduce problems sometimes.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
How much RAM do you have, and is any of it third-party? If you've got large enough chips, (You really need 256 to run the OS) try pulling one at a time to see if that clears things up.

Also, my Cube got a little flaky after upgrading 10.1 to 10.2, then installing all the incremental updates one at a time to 10.2.4. I backed up, wiped the drive, installed 10.2. clean, then ran the 10.2.4 combo updater and it's been up ever since-- 13 days without a single prob. I think update upon update can introduce problems sometimes.

CV

I was also about to suggest the RAM test route...

My dual 867 is very picky as to which RAM it will talk to, and dispays all the symptoms described when it doesn't like certain modules.

Well worth checking out...

Peace,

Marc

lordwizard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2003, 07:55 AM

Not a big help perhaps but i could share my xprience
everything is just fine with my new dual 1,25 but i stick with 10.2.3
check the serial number too < or = to xx304xxxxx ??
An Apple a day... !!

PM Dual 1.25 MDD FW800/ 768Mb / 80Go
9000 Pro / 20" Cinema Display/ "ice" iBook / iPod

whokilledkaji  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2003, 11:31 PM

I downgraded to 10.2.3 and it's working better now... Whenever I launch iPhoto... That's when the trouble starts... Hmmm...

Forum Links
Forum Rules