Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Trouble getting F@h CLI Client running.

Trouble getting F@h CLI Client running.
imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 09:59 AM

I am having trouble getting the F@h CLI Client to run. I get things running in the terminal app, but when I am asked to enter my user name I run into the problem of getting 'command not found' after I hit return and the client stops. If I start it up again then I am set as an 'Anonymous' user of team 0. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

reader50
Administrator
Mar 9, 2003, 12:16 PM

With the client off, you could edit the client.cfg file. Put in your Folding user name and team number:
Code:
[settings] username=imacaholic team=16 asknet=no machineid=1 (continued)

imacaholic  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 12:38 PM

With what app would I modify the config file? Terminal? Thanks.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 01:29 PM

When you restart the app, use the -config and that will let you re-enter the configuration options. like so, after cd'ing to the proper directory. (note the single space between the application name and the -config command.

./OSX-3.24 -config
It should then bring you to this where it shows the current config as below. At the prompt, enter the correct name, hit return and continue to follow the other prompts all the way through re-entering the correct info as needed.

Arguments: -config

[17:22:49] - Ask before connecting: No
[17:22:49] - User name: Shaktai (Team 16)
[17:22:49] - User ID = 539F55A40D2211A8
[17:22:49] - Machine ID: 1
[17:22:49]
[17:22:49] Configuring Folding@home...

User name [Shaktai]?
( Last edited by Shaktai; Mar 9, 2003 at 01:35 PM. )

imacaholic  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 05:01 PM

OK. Worked great Shaktai. Now the problem is that the CLI client is only picking up the identical WU from the F@h Graphic app that I was running. It picks up the same unit on both processors. Do I need to delete the Graphic app and its associated files before I run the CLI client? Thanks again.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by imacaholic:
OK. Worked great Shaktai. Now the problem is that the CLI client is only picking up the identical WU from the F@h Graphic app that I was running. It picks up the same unit on both processors. Do I need to delete the Graphic app and its associated files before I run the CLI client? Thanks again.
Aaahh! You didn't mention you were running dual processors. With the CLI make certain that it is in its own unique directory (folder). i.e, such as FAH1 and FAH2 for the folder names.

Now, You will need to start it up with the -local switch.
./OSX-3.24 -local
This is so that it creates all of its work files in that directory, instead of defaulting to the user/library/Folding@home directory for work files, like the Graphic client does. Don't delete the Grapic client files, they are fine, as long as only one instance of the client is accessing them. If you are running two instances of the CLI now, you could even copy those files over to one of the CLI directories. Just remember to start both CLI with the -local switch so that each creates its own unique directory. Also, when configuring select machine ID 1 for the first one and Machine ID 2 for the second. That helps ensure there is no conflict with the FAH work unit servers.

Hope that is clear and good folding.

imacaholic  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 05:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shaktai:
[B]Aaahh! You didn't mention you were running dual processors. With the CLI make certain that it is in its own unique directory (folder). i.e, such as FAH1 and FAH2 for the folder names.

Now, You will need to start it up with the -local switch.

I am a little confused. Would I need to stop the CLI client after entering the other information you recommended and then restart using the -local switch? At the very start I have already entered the '-local &' switch.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 05:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by imacaholic:
[B]
Originally posted by Shaktai:
I am a little confused. Would I need to stop the CLI client after entering the other information you recommended and then restart using the -local switch? At the very start I have already entered the '-local &' switch.
Each time you start the CLI you will need to use the -local switch, not just the first time. Then it should recognize the correct folder (same one the app is in). If you look in the folder, with the app, then all the work files should be there. Unique machine ID's are very important, so that the server doesn't just give the same work unit to each client.

imacaholic  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 06:36 PM

I can't get each CLI Client to recognize its own directory. They both keep pointing to the Grapic app F@h folder. I will keep tinkering around. Thanks for all the help.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 9, 2003, 07:20 PM

For editing config files, I recommend BBEdit Lite (free).

Launching the client with a local install should look like this:
cd desktop/fold1 (or other client folder location)
./folding -local (additional optional parameters possible)

There must be a space between "./folding" and "-local", also a space between each additional tag.

The -local tag should work unless the client's folder has restrictive permissions. Check the folder's permissions, and permissions on the work folder inside each client's folder.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 09:13 PM

I am thinking that in the process of trying to set it up, both CLI got pointed to the GUI data folder, and somehow are holding on to that. Delete all the info in the CLI directories accept the program file. If you don't intend to finish up the GUI file, go ahead and delete it.

Restart both CLI from the beginning, using the -local switch, and reenter all your info. (do not setup one and copy the folder) Be sure to specify one as Machine ID 1 and one as Machine ID 2 during the setup. (advanced options I think). That is important so that the servers don't send the same work unit to both.

The servers remember what work unit they send to a specific machine ID, and if each process does not have a unique machine ID, it will keep sending the same work unit. It is possible if the GUI work unit was not completed, that it will also resend it to the CLI. With this project, each subsequent work unit is built upon the results of previous work units, that is why there are deadlines.

From the perspective of server logistics, it is probably the most complicated Distributed Computing project that is active. It is also the one that offers the greatest hope for near term benefit to humanity. This project requires, patience, but then all good science requires patience.

imacaholic  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 10:26 PM

I've already done everything noted. The Folding@home folder keeps getting regenerated in the home/library directory in each instance. I have not tried a restart yet. I'm just puzzled as to why the same folder keeps getting regenerated.

mikkyo
Senior User
Mar 10, 2003, 04:50 PM

If you want to keep the FAH work files in the same dir as folding at home you need to do
./OSX-3.24 -local -config
to configure and then
./OSX-3.24 -local *blah*
to run with *blah* being whatever other options you want the client to have.
If you just do -config it sets up everything in /Users/you/Library, and then if you try to run with -local, you have no local config.

imacaholic  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2003, 09:47 PM

Got it working smooth now. Both processors running a CLI client. Thanks for all the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules