Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ?

Ordered dual 2.5? What's your "Est. ship" ? (Page 3)
imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2004, 09:11 PM

Read it and weep! Courtesy of MacReviewZone.

Special update: Tuesday, July 13

Apple has finally changed the shipping ETA at the Apple Store from "July" to a more precise "4-6 weeks." four weeks puts us well outside of July of course and six weeks is pushing pretty close to August. Either demand was higher than expected (ha!) or Apple is having production issues. Either way, if you are planning on buying a dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac get in line and be prepared to wait...

Updated every Friday
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by imacaholic:
Read it and weep! Courtesy of MacReviewZone.
And to counter that, Macrumors says G5s are shipping!

Can anyone back this new claim up?
-n

konakazi
Jul 13, 2004, 10:42 PM

After reading that thread it still sounds like July 30th is the day.

MacConnection and Apple both are giving that date and several people on that thread cite the same date.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 12:01 AM

If it makes you people feel any better, Intel still hasn't shipped its 3.6 GHz Pentium 4s. You know, the ones that are supposed to have given Intel its extremely modest 12.5% clock speed boost in the space of the past year. Right now they're still at 6.25% (3.2 to 3.4 GHz), which makes Apple/IBM seem like an absolute powerhouse.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 12:35 AM

And to counter that, Macrumors says G5s are shipping!

Can anyone back this new claim up?
I think the emphasis needs to be placed on the RUMORS portion of the source.
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 02:47 AM

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if they started shipping a few to some of their "elite" high volume customers. End of the month still sounds about right for the average Joe though. We'll know soon enough.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by neophilia:
Just when I was starting to get hopeful.. Applestore.com shows a 4-6 weeks delivery time on STOCK dual 2.5 G5s. A few days ago it said 'July' but this pushes things out to mid-August.

-n
That makes sense since anybody buying a G5 2.5 Ghz now would be at the end of the queue, and those at the end of the queue should be receiving their's in August. The 4-6 weeks on the Applestore doesn't necessarily mean that our orders have been pushed back. It means that new orders are going to take some time since they have to fulfill the current orders.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2004, 01:38 PM

okay....so i read now at macrumors forum that one person has a tracking number for their shipment....so i guess they are starting to trickle out.

edit - the order in question is from clubmac, not the apple store
( Last edited by Mr. Blur; Jul 14, 2004 at 01:55 PM. )
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 01:48 PM

interesting, earliest dates I have seen are 15 days away...7/30 is it possible?
( Last edited by videian28; Jul 14, 2004 at 02:07 PM. )

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2004, 02:04 PM

Yeah, my date, when I checked an hour ago, was still July 30, 2004 (I ordered on the day of the announcement). Today is July 14, 2004, so I am hoping that some people or retail stores will start to receive their shipments soon. Hopefully we'll be hearing more rumors about G5 2.5's shipping and maybe even get some confirmations that some have been received. If G5 2.5's are shipping, July 30 is certainly possible.
MacBook Pro

rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2004, 07:37 PM

Is anyone here becoming as cynical as I am regarding how convenient the the delay for the 2.5 GHz machines shipping is when compared to the $500 23" HD display rebate's (for $500) last possible postmark date (July 26)? I bought two 2.5 GHz machines and two previous-generation 23" displays at the end of last month, anticipating that I would be able to get the machines (and, thus, their UPC codes off of their boxes) before the display rebate had expired.

Is Apple purposefully delaying the shipment of these machines until the last of the month just so they don't have to fulfill the planned $500 display rebates?

It's cynical, I know, but I want my machine by the 26th.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2004, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by rlorenc:
Is Apple purposefully delaying the shipment of these machines until the last of the month just so they don't have to fulfill the planned $500 display rebates?

It's cynical, I know, but I want my machine by the 26th.
that's not cynical, that's paranoid and opportunistic. Number one Apple did say they would ship in July (they didn't say by July 26), and you know Apple, it's always at the end of the month, and there are always delays.
MacBook Pro

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 03:44 PM

I just ordered my Dual 2.5ghz G5 and my estimated ship date is on or before 8/26...I didn't get that new gforce video card or a new display or anything...wonder why it is shipping so late?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by limpbizkit69dz:
I just ordered my Dual 2.5ghz G5 and my estimated ship date is on or before 8/26...I didn't get that new gforce video card or a new display or anything...wonder why it is shipping so late?
because of all the other orders ahead of you. just because people that ordered the day they were announced are getting july 30 ship dates does not mean one ordered today will get the same....

Augie50
Jul 15, 2004, 04:12 PM

IBM is having a very hard time getting Apple the 2.5ghz chips it needs. On the conference call, Apple said it expects the supplies of 2.5 G5s to be "constrained" throughout this entire quarter--which doesn't end until mid october.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 04:37 PM

Well considering there are thousands of people who ordered ahead of you (over a month ago or more) who are waiting till July 30, 2004 to receive their's, it makes sense. Plus, if Apple used up their first delivery of 2.5 Ghz chips from IBM or motherboards from their vendor, they have to wait for another batch to be produced. I believe Apple orders their chips and motherboards in batches, something like 20,000 or 60,000 at a time.

Your the second person I've seen who seems to think if he orders in July, he's gonna receive it in July. You MIGHT (and I mean might) have better chances getting a stock G5 2.5 Ghz machine earlier, if you go through a retailer.
MacBook Pro

limpbizkit69dz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I didn't think they were up for order a month ago! woah guess the wait makes sense now.

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 06:09 PM

After following the whole ordeal last year and after reading details from the financial report, net articles, and users in forums, I'm thinking that it will be lucky if a lot of people get their dual 2.5s by mid-August. I think this will likely pan out the way it did last year -- the first 3 weeks in September are going to be when things loosen up and by the beginning of October people should be able to get them fairly freely. "The more things change, the more they stay the same" as the saying goes -- I remember ordering my B&W 400 MHz G3 the day after the announcement in January of 1999 and it taking 2 months or more to get it. Anything slightly radical just adds weeks and weeks historically to Apple's ship dates. As soon as I saw the announcement of "liquid cooled 2.5 GHz G5s" I thought, buckle your safety belt; this is going to be a long ride. I'm hoping that there aren't a lot of 7/30 ship dates that get pushed back, though. It would be nice though unexpected to see that a slew of 2.5s get shipped out that day.

inertiadesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 03:25 PM

I ordered my stock 2.5 GHz about three weeks ago. The wait is driving me slightly insane, but I know it will be worth it.

I am on this damn Windows XP 1.4 GHz Athalon right now, which, just every once and a while gives me the urge to burn an apple logo into my chest with a smoldering fire poker.

Please hurry Steve, I am not sure how much longer I can hold this wintel spawn together.

dkanarek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 04:05 PM

Today I've spoke with Apple store reps from two different locations in North-East U.S. One refused to speculate on the date of the availibity, however the rep in the second location assured me that his store will have PM 2.5 in stock later next week.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by dkanarek:
the rep in the second location assured me that his store will have PM 2.5 in stock later next week.
Good news if true. Of course now you realize we're going to ask you to go and verify that next week.
MacBook Pro

dkanarek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
Good news if true. Of course now you realize we're going to ask you to go and verify that next week.
The rep put me on the list and assured me he will call as soon as he gets them (which he said will be end on next week). Also I asked about new displays and he said he has one 23" remaining in stock, which tells me he got it at the day when it was announced at rhe Apple site "curently shipping". I'll keep everyone posted on the resolts.

JCT
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2004, 11:32 PM

I'm on the list (#3) for one of the Dual 2.5 G5s from a Northeast Apple store as well.

They told me the same thing as dkanarek, they're expecting their first shipment next week.

Starting to sound a little more "real" now.

I'll post if I get my hands on one.

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

hollywd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 12:38 PM

I'm on the list for a 2.5 from a local reseller. He said their original ship date was for mid-July. This would put them arriving next week as well....

We'll see.

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 06:39 PM

Apple Store in the Northwest told me "any day now" and that the AppleStore.com orders had started shipping..? Looks like next week MAY be it. But I'm not holding my breath (yet).
-n

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 02:37 PM

Errrr...did FedEx actually ship my unit out from Fullerton, CA, out to Memphis, Tennessee, and then back to California again, or is it the case that the request originated from Fullerton, and shipped from Memphis (which would make the most sense)?
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by kentuckyfried:

Errrr...did FedEx actually ship my unit out from Fullerton, CA, out to Memphis, Tennessee, and then back to California again, or is it the case that the request originated from Fullerton, and shipped from Memphis (which would make the most sense)?
Weird.. So is that an AppleStore.com order? Stock? BTO? CDW is now telling me August 6th for my order. I'll have to cancel if that's true..
-n

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by kentuckyfried:

is this an order for a dual 2.5ghz G5?

edit...never mind...i see in this other thread that he's ordered a 1.8 and had it returned/replaced for a defect. why he's posted in this thread i don't know - maybe to give those of us waiting for 2.5's a little jump-start

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 02:54 PM

bleah...sorry guys. Not exactly the right thread.

My order was a 1.8 ghz, BTO. the unit that is shipping is a replacement for a defective one I got (bad firewire port in the front).

I was just inquiring if anybody was familiar with fedex's shipping patterns, since the fedex email reply service doesn't ever seem to get answered.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
is this an order for a dual 2.5ghz G5?

edit...never mind...i see in this other thread that he's ordered a 1.8 and had it returned/replaced for a defect. why he's posted in this thread i don't know - maybe to give those of us waiting for 2.5's a little jump-start
Argh.
-n

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 02:54 PM

Well it sounds like no G5 2.5Ghz machines are shipping yet.

10 more days to go to July 30, 2004.
MacBook Pro

flame12
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 01:04 AM

Hey y'all.

I ordered my 23" on Wednesday 7/14. Scheduled to ship on or before 8/13/04.

Ordered my G5 CTO today (Tuesday) 7/20. CTO Options included Airport Extreme Card & Bluetooth. Scheduled to ship on or before 8/31/04.

This is going to be a PAINFUL summer
Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.

konakazi
Jul 21, 2004, 08:10 AM

Well that gives me some confidence about the July 30th date for those of us who ordered in June. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 08:37 AM

where do the CTO powermacs ship from? are they configured at the factory or shipped somewhere stock and then configured?

9 days, I can only say I am happy that the 7/30 date has stuck so far

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 21, 2004, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by rlorenc:

Absolutely not.

If you call Apple they will tell you that as long as you ordered a PowerMac G5 and the "old" 23" Cinema Display by June 26th (last day of the rebate) you will qualify. They will honor rebates sent in even after July 26th so that people who are affected by the dual 2.5 delay will still be able to get their rebate. The only requirement is that your order was in before June 26th.

This is typical Apple... they are a high-end retailer and anytime I have had any trouble with any Apple product or order my issue is resolved switfly and to my complete satisfaction. It is this kind of transparent "taking care of the customer" that really makes me glad I am an Apple customer. They really do go above and beyond, just be nice and they will bend over backwards for you.

konakazi
Jul 21, 2004, 02:43 PM

I just called MacConnection and my shipping date has been pushed back from July 30th to August 6th!

What a bummer.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 03:01 PM

okay that scared me still 7/30 from the apple store, I just can't wait to see one of those posts stating "dual 2.5 shipped!!"

neophilia
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by konakazi:
I just called MacConnection and my shipping date has been pushed back from July 30th to August 6th!

What a bummer.
CDW is telling me August 6th as well. Guess that's the new date for resellers. I'd switch my order to a dual 2.0, but for $500 bucks difference, it's just not worth it..
-n

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
I just can't wait to see one of those posts stating "dual 2.5 shipped!!"
Yeah, I've been watching for one of those posts, or a post that says an Apple Store has a demo model or a few in stock.
MacBook Pro

dkanarek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 04:41 PM

Today I've spoke with Apple store reps from two different locations in North-East U.S. One refused to speculate on the date of the availibity, however the rep in the second location assured me that his store will have PM 2.5 in stock later next week.
I just spoke again with Apple Store rep, and he said that the shipment of the PM 2.5 is pushed to the first week of august 2 more weeks of waiting.

VukOnCrack
Jul 21, 2004, 05:15 PM

I just spoke again with Apple Store rep, and he said that the shipment of the PM 2.5 is pushed to the first week of august 2 more weeks of waiting.
When did you order and what's your current ship date listed as, if I may ask?

dkanarek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by VukOnCrack:
When did you order and what's your current ship date listed as, if I may ask?
Its an Apple store in Masachusets and there is no specific delivery day - I'm on the reserve list and I'll be picking it up as soon as arives to the store - which should be the first week of August.

VukOnCrack
Jul 21, 2004, 09:53 PM

Its an Apple store in Masachusets and there is no specific delivery day - I'm on the reserve list and I'll be picking it up as soon as arives to the store - which should be the first week of August.
I placed my order on 06/14/2004 at the online Apple Store (edu) and my ship date still says 07/30/2004. I'm also first on the list at the local Apple retail store. I've heard accounts there that the machine would be in this week and another that it would be the first week of August. I sure hope it's sooner than later.

qwerty2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 02:59 AM

I've been thinking that the 2.5 wouldn't ship until mid-August at the earliest, and I think we might be starting to see that occur. But I still think it will be more like the first week in September. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. I also REALLY hope that Nvidia has the Mac 6800 part in high gear and that that won't delay those 2.5s of people who've ordered it. I keep telling myself that it will be fun to see what the iMac G5 is all about, but that's just to get my mind off of the dual 2.5s.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 08:58 AM

well....7 more days according to my ship date that has not moved...they have got to know by now whether this will stick or not by now, or they are going to have a ton of unhappy people

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 06:32 PM

a post in a thread on the apple discussion boards says the first shipment of 2.5's is going out next week. of course, that was not an official announcement from apple though.

johnnydr87
Jul 23, 2004, 11:39 PM

i've been on vacation for two weeks and nothing has changed..

still on or before 7/30
I'M GETTING MY G5 MONDAY..... I CAN FEEL IT...OK I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT, BUT I CAN DREAM CAN'T I?

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
a post in a thread on the apple discussion boards says the first shipment of 2.5's is going out next week. of course, that was not an official announcement from apple though.
Looks promising! If they start to trickle out next week, I suppose we can't say Steve lied again.

hollywd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 08:26 PM

My reseller contacted me today, he said that he talked to Apple this morning and they are going to start shipping small quantities of the 2.5 on the 31st...

redeye78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 08:42 PM

This is driving me insaine!!! I have been watching this forum along with others and there isn't a single one that is saying the same thing in regards to the release of the 2.5's . I had bought a 2.0 about 2 weeks before the 2.5's were released, the retail store was kind enough to let me return it and wait for the new bad boys!! So I got a little taste of the power and now I have to wait. I was a little too late to pre-order mine on-line, so I'm gonna take my chances with the retail store here in seattle, I'm on their call list so hopefully I get a little heads up when they recieve the first shipment. I WILL BE CAMPING ON THEIR DOORSTEP!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules