Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any luck w/ retail stores? (new iMac)

Any luck w/ retail stores? (new iMac)
beangear
Feb 7, 2002, 04:35 AM

Has anyone received any calls from their local Apple retail store?
I have my name on a list at the South Coast Plaza store in California, and nothing. NOTHING. Don't they know when the iMacs will come in?
I believe they have called a few people, but c'mon. Shouldn't they receive the 1st shipments?null
G5 Dual 2.0
G4 iMac Superdrive
10 Gig iPod
4 Gig iPod mini

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2002, 04:50 AM

Nothin over here. CompUSA isn't sure when they are getting shipments.

ariel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2002, 05:05 AM

Here in St. Louis, the Macstore (that's their name) has ONE demo unit. It arrived here last Friday - I saw it Saturday - I took 4 people from the office (PC adicts) to see it at lunch today.

The store has sold 17 units. They've only gotten one unit (other than the demo) which they gave to the first person on the list YESTERDAY.

So, they are creeping out to the public slowly.

Ariel
Custom WaterColor Portraits
make WONDERFUL gifts

Parky
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2002, 05:05 AM

Not good news in the UK either.

I called in the Warrington Apple Centre today, and they are still saying 7-10 days before they have a delivery. I presume that will be a display model for them, not a full delivery for customers.

My order from the UK Apple Store is still slated to arrive next week, but I'm not holding my breath.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Gastropod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2002, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by Parky:
<STRONG>Not good news in the UK either.
</STRONG>
Nor is there good news in Canada.
Apple Canada who distributes to the resellers has received nothing and has no idea when anything will come. The resellers don't even have display models. March is looking very likely for the first customers to be getting them.
Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. The answer is "No."

davester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2002, 07:40 AM

I thought I'd add a southern hemisphere's perspective on this. No demo models for Australian Apple resellers, yet I believe a demo model has actually "toured" the country, appearing at Apple state offices only and at a few newspapers for review. I've seen the pics, I've read all the reviews of people who've got their machines and I'm almost over the waiting. I just want this bloody machine!!! Over the past week I've eagerly called a few Apple resellers in Sydney to check whether anything has arrived and finally, after all the different answers I get relating to its arrival, a few have given me the date of 12th of February. Demo machines will then be sent out to all the resellers nation-wide. Then from there, add 4-5 days till they arrive in Perth to fulfill pre-orders. Honestly, why bother with the demo units? They know the demand - just get 'em out to the stores!

Satan's Little Helper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2002, 11:15 AM

Here in Illinois, both CrapUSA and MicroCenter have their demo units. Couldn't get anyone to help me at CompUSA, but at MicroCenter they were very helpful and honest. MicroCenter is taking deposits, but told me it would probally be a 3 week wait until I get one (they have a pretty long waiting list from what I was told), so I took my chances ordering from MacMall. Hope I don't regret ordering from them.... I was told it would take 2 weeks before I get mine. It was a the shortest wait, but the selling point is I don't pay sales tax and get the free printer (to add to the collection) and ram upgrade.

I just hope they weren't lying about the 2 week wait.
If I knew everything I wouldn't be here...

davidflas
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2002, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by ariel:
<STRONG>Here in St. Louis, the Macstore (that's their name) has ONE demo unit. It arrived here last Friday - I saw it Saturday - I took 4 people from the office (PC adicts) to see it at lunch today.

The store has sold 17 units. They've only gotten one unit (other than the demo) which they gave to the first person on the list YESTERDAY.

So, they are creeping out to the public slowly.

Ariel</STRONG>
Ariel,

I'm in St. Louis too and I was wondering what your overall impressions are about the customer service at The Macstore. Any reason to buy there instead of CompUsa, etc.. in your opinion?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

TritonDrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2002, 01:10 PM

Woohoo! I picked up a new Imac today at Fry's Electronics in San Diego. I went to the CompUSA but they said they wouldn't get any for 3 weeks. I dropped by Fry's and lo and behold, they were wheeling 6 new imacs out to the computer dept. This was around 6 pm.

TritonDrew

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2002, 01:33 AM

I am curiouse to know how Apple is filling the channel. Who will get them first? Apple store, Apple Store online, Mac Catalogs, other Apple value resellers, etc...

My bet is Apple is filling the channel up before the flood gates are let open. That way no one can raise a stink.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Deal:
<STRONG>I am curiouse to know how Apple is filling the channel. Who will get them first? Apple store, Apple Store online, Mac Catalogs, other Apple value resellers, etc...

My bet is Apple is filling the channel up before the flood gates are let open. That way no one can raise a stink.</STRONG>
Apple retail, Apple web store, Mac catalogs, education market, CompUSA, independent Apple VARs, who are always last, despite the fact that they are the ones who have sold Macs for years before any of the others.

Our two stores have a demo each, and no one at Apple can (will) tell us anything about where our shipments are.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: KarlG ]
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2002, 04:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Satan's Little Helper:
[I took my chances ordering from MacMall. Hope I don't regret ordering from them.... I was told it would take 2 weeks before I get mine]

I would not hold my breath. I ordered mine from MacMall on 1/11/02 and I am still waiting. They said they were expecting a shipment of 6000 units on 2/15/02. I will believe it when the FedEx person shows up at my doorstep. Patience is a virtue. Yeah right!
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

beangear  (op)
Feb 9, 2002, 06:00 PM

I got it! I got it! I called Fry's right when they opened up this morning and they had one left. I put my name on it and zipped right over there. Too bad I haven't had time to open it. I got the kids all day, and they won't let me do anything.
So when the Apple store calls me and tells me mine is ready, I can say never you mind...never you mind...
The secret was taking the darn thing off of my mind. Instead of letting the thought of the new iMac on my mind all day, I woke up and read....the Bible. Have faith!!!
G5 Dual 2.0
G4 iMac Superdrive
10 Gig iPod
4 Gig iPod mini

TritonDrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2002, 09:06 PM

It's amazing that Frys gets it before the APPLE store. On my box, I saw on the shipping label that they ordered the 10th and it shipped 2/5.

Theresa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2002, 09:30 PM

Hey all you Californians - I just called Fry's in Manhatten Beach - they said they had 2 imacs in stock.

Hope this helps some west coast macaddict. Did me no good as they won't ship - only local drop-offs.

Anyone interested in making more calls - you can find store phone numbers - http://www.frys.com

If anyone in Va. Beach hear's of a store that has them - I would love to hear about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules