Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cannot install Mac OS X onto USB HDD

Cannot install Mac OS X onto USB HDD
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 03:17 AM

I'm trying to reformat an external hard drive and install Tiger on it. It's a USB 2.0 (no firewire) drive, so i hook it up to my Mac mini-- the only USB 2.0 capable Mac in the house-- and it tells me I can't install Mac OS X 10.4/Tiger on the Mac mini.

I'm there telling the Installer "I just want to install it on the drive, not on the Mac mini, you nitwit!" Of course, it always insists on rebooting into the system on the disc. I can only suppose its minimum OS version is 10.4.something instead.

I tried installing onto the disk from my eMac, thinking it would be slow, but doable, but the Installer refuses to install on the disk. I also tried installing from individual packages on the DVD, but it did not make it into a bootable drive, even though I installed all the applicable packages, including the core system.

So, is there any way around this at all?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 03:32 AM

What kind of OS X installer disk is that? If it's one that came with another type of Mac (like a MB or something) it won't install onto your iMac or eMac.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
What kind of OS X installer disk is that? If it's one that came with another type of Mac (like a MB or something) it won't install onto your iMac or eMac.
It's a retail Mac OS X Tiger DVD, Simon.

I'm theorizing that it won't install via the Mac mini because it's below it's minimum OS version, and that it won't install from the eMac because the eMac does not support booting from a USB hard drive. I probably wouldn't be having this issue if the hard drive were in a Firewire enclosure instead. Unfortunately, I don't have one at hand and don't have time to get one.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 03:47 AM

Then try this:

OS X DVD -> eMac ---(Ethernet or FireWire cable)--- Mac mini ---(USB2)--- extHDD

Turn on AFP on the mini and mount the external HDD on the eMac.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 03:53 AM

A retail Tiger disk won't work on a Intel Mac, and PPC Macs don't support USB booting.

You're out of luck my friend.
Signature depreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 04:24 AM

Is the mini an Intel?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
A retail Tiger disk won't work on a Intel Mac, and PPC Macs don't support USB booting.

You're out of luck my friend.
Yes, it looks like I am. Oh well. Another few hours well-spent...

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Is the mini an Intel?
Yep. Thanks for the suggestions anyway. It was worth a try.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 05:59 AM

Well yeah, that explains it. Leopard will solve that problem: the retail Leopard DVD will be universal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules