Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Trying to partition a Boot Camp partitioned drive

Trying to partition a Boot Camp partitioned drive
simkhai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2008, 11:41 PM

I am trying to create a new mac partition on a hard drive I have already partitioned using Boot Camp. When I try to do that I get this error message:
The disk appears to be partitioned for Boot Camp. The proposed changes may make this disk using Windows unbootable."

How can I partition it so I wont do anything harmful to the Windows partition?

Thanks
Joel Simkhai

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2008, 03:27 AM

Use Disk Utility instead.

simkhai  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2008, 06:07 PM

I did use Disk Utility.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2008, 12:12 AM

You may have to accept that you cannot re-partition the drive using DU. First, ask yourself why and whether you need to partition, there may be other solutions. If you need to do it, the most prudent way is to backup your drive to another one, then reformat the first one and partition as you wish. Then just clone the two old partitions to the ones you want to on the re-partitioned disk, and you're good to go.

Oh, of course now you can do the same process from the original disk to the new one and have a backup, which you need anyway!!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 17, 2008, 07:16 AM

Because of the structure of a hard drive with both OS X and a Windows partition on it, there aren't any tools (that I know of, anyway) that will allow you to easily and safely change partition sizes or repartition a Boot Camp-partitioned disk. In order to get more than the two partitions you have, you would have to back up everything (both OSs), wipe the drive clean, and then repartition manually. After that, you'd have to keep track of which partition was set aside for Windows so you restored your Windows install to the right one. Not a task for the faint of heart. Doable, but a pain.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2008, 03:01 PM

And be prepared to reinstall window from scratch if it is Xp. Otherwise be prepared to deal with the dreaded "Missing NTLDR" s#$t associated with Xp. On the bright side -Vista is more forgiving. Still might need rescue disk from Bill's Site.
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

Forum Links
Forum Rules