Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > No multilingual setting in iPhone?

No multilingual setting in iPhone?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 01:51 AM

In Mac OS X I have my spell checker set to multilingual in order for it to correct my typos regardless of the language I happen to be using. The iPhone has this nifty correction tool for typos, but from what I can see it's locked to the language you're using for the UI.

So because my iPhone has an English UI it will only correct my typing in English even if I happen to be writing a text message in another language. Even worse, it corrects words that exist in other languages with English words and I find myself hitting that little "x" a whole lot which really slows down my typing.

So, is there really no way to set the iPhone to multilingual or didi I just miss it?
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 10, 2008 at 02:02 AM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 08:43 PM

Settings -> General -> International -> Keyboards.

Once you have set up the languages you want you switch between them using the international button on the keyboard. It will correct in the language you are currently writing in.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2008, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the tip, erik.

But does that mean there is no true multilingual correction? By that I mean can I only have it correct in the same language the keyboard is set to? I'd like to use a regular US KB as all my KBs are US. Nevertheless I would like the iPhone to correct text messages I write in French, German, etc.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2008, 07:59 AM

It does. Sort of. At least my Norwegian dictionary seem to have all the common English words in it.

But no, not a true multilingual correction. It would be too hard to do. You have to remember that the predictive input needs to guess what you are trying to write in the language you are writing in.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2008, 08:09 AM

OK, guess I'll have to switch KBs then. Still better than hitting that little x after every second word.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
OK, guess I'll have to switch KBs then. Still better than hitting that little x after every second word.
Just a little tip: You don't really need to tap the 'x'. Even if you tap the suggested word itself, the phone will continue with the word you've typed. Thus its actually a larger click target.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 02:04 PM

Thanks. I had noticed that, but I still find having to look up to check the correction and then possibly tap it slows me down a lot veen if I don;t specifically have to aim for the little x. I'm now switching KBs which only requires one tap, but after that I can type really fast.

Forum Links
Forum Rules