Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Installing different versions of MacOS9. (long post)

Installing different versions of MacOS9. (long post)
DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2001, 02:34 PM

Here is my experience trying to reinstall MacOS9.1 in a different language as the original.

For those with multilingual requirements this is how I solved the following problem:

I ordered my iBook from the German Apple Store. Even thou ordering a different language version would be possible if I talked directly to a salesperson I opted not to do so because I had recently bought a copy of MacOS9 in English, and I wanted to keep the keyboard in the German layout. I thought I could just run the disk installer, then update 9.1, software update control panel and be set.
The iBook won't boot from the MacOS 9 disk.
Then I remembered that since MacOS 9.1 is capable of holding more than one copy of the OS in the same partition I just burned a copy of the OS installed in my Performa 5300 (yes, that was the las time I updated my computer) copied to the iBook HD (no partitions) and fired it with the new version selected. It didn't boot. So I copied some files from the German OS to the new OS folder: MacOS ROM, Classic, Classic Support, Classic Support UI plus installed a downloaded copy of the AirPort software 1.3.1. The software update control panel updated the sound fix, hmm, that was it.
So now I have my system in English and it seems to be running stable.
Can anyone can point me to possible problems that I might encounter.
Minor problems: I still haven't been able to find the EnergySaver software, the menu bar still shows 'Hilfe' intead of 'Help'.
Any takes? Thanks, DrIcaro
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

Forum Links
Forum Rules