Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mobile Internet Access

Mobile Internet Access
rosssanford
May 22, 2001, 02:26 PM

Does anyone use their iBook and mobile phone for internet access? (preferably in the US)

My phone (Nextel) does not support MacOS, and I would like to use my iBook on the road. I have researched some mobile phone providers and some (Verizon and SprintPCS) do support MacOS. Has anyone had a good experience with these or any other providers?

All of these providers require a USB -to-serial adapter, and it would be great to find a native USB solution. )Others have suggested a PC Card modem, but since the iBooks do not have this slot are there any other suggestions?)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

videoalex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 02:36 PM

I looked into this a while back, and what I have to tell you is not great news. no one yet offers a USB adapter to their phones, but even if they did, the cell phone does not treat a modem call the same as a voice call. the phone knows and reports (and charges you for) a data call. On some plans, such as the SprintPCS, you can sign up their "wireless web" option, that allows you to surf the web using your plan minutes (otherwise it's almost $0.50 a minute!)

Now the really bad news. when you do connect, the average connect speed is similar to that of a 14.4 modem, I understand. (this isn't from experiance, I had already seen enough reasons not to do it by this point.) So, you can use it to read email, and do some very light speed surfing, but you will be hurting for that landline before too long.
---Alex Johnson

rosssanford  (op)
May 22, 2001, 03:19 PM

Thanks a lot...

I looks like I have run into the same road blocks. It too bad no one has figured out a better solution....

MaxMac
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 04:04 PM

I haven't read the whole thing, but I hope this helps http://machardware.about.com/compute...2Busb+%2Bmodem

------------------
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

temsa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 05:49 PM

i am not sure if it works for mac, but it looks like a good fast solution
http://www.metricom.com/ricochet_adv.../products.html

greg

Klaus
May 22, 2001, 06:00 PM

There is a solution for GSM phones. (As far as I know this is not the most common cellphone standard in the US but it is in Germany where I�m from. I don�t know if there are simmilar things for PCS).
It�s called Palladio USB and made by an Italian Company named Digicom.
Check out this link for more info: http://www.digicom.it/english/produc...les/gsmusb.htm
This is an US distributor: http://www.teleadaptusa.com/nme/order_powerbookgsm.htm
There are different versions for several common GSM phones from Nokia, Ericsson, Siemens and Motorola.
The GSM standard in the US is GSM 1900. In Europe it is either GSM 1800 or 900. These standards are pretty much the same but with other frequencies. Since the basic connection involving these frequencies is provided by the phone the adapter will work with all three standards. So if you have a multi-band capable phone you can even use it when you travel abrought.
Here�s another interesting way to go: http://www.teleadaptusa.com/nme/orde...ookusbcdma.htm
I hope that helps
Klaus

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 06:51 PM

Just adding to Klaus' note, I hope it helps:

The German Apple Store carries those GSM adaptors, which indicates that they're compatible with Apple Products. Still, they have a maximum speed of 9600 bps, which is ok to check email and fax, but painful to surf.

As for a dial-in service, I was able to connect to both UUNet and Compuserve from VoiceStream's GSM net in New York.

I was using a Palm III/Motorola Timeport IR connection. It should work with no problems also with the Mac/Palladium combination.

DrIcaro
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

zappy
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by Klaus:
It�s called Palladio USB and made by an Italian Company named Digicom.
There are different versions for several common GSM phones from Nokia, Ericsson, Siemens and Motorola.
Unfortunately my Ericsson T28s is not supported by the Palladio USB.

It would be nice if there was a USB GSM solution that does not require a phone to use it. If you have got a PC Card slot you can use the Nokia Card Phone. I need something like this using USB for my iBook2. Anyone know a solution?

Regards

Forum Links
Forum Rules