Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Has anyone received a CTO CD-RW from the Apple Store yet?

Has anyone received a CTO CD-RW from the Apple Store yet?
bikinijack
May 22, 2001, 05:14 PM

Just wondered if anyone has received a CTO iBook CD-RW yet from the Apple Store? I had my memory pumped up to 192 MB and the HD to 20 GB and placed the order on 5/2.

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 05:29 PM

Ordered May 1st from the Apple German Web Store:

iBook 500/CDRW/128/10HD/AirPort

No luck yet...
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

eTard
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 05:31 PM

no one seems to own one of these versions yet. I will not be placing my order for 1 until I start to see people report back about them. Everyone seems to have the cdrom or dvd version.

------------------
eTard.....don't be one
eTard.....don't be one

Friends don't let friends be an eTard

Stebahan
May 22, 2001, 05:57 PM

I am wondering if any one was able to purchase a CDRW or Combo drive from either the Virginia or the California store this last weekend.
I heard rumors that there were some available but, I take that with a grain of something granular.

wustlmousa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 07:05 PM

I ordered iBook CD-RW on May 11 at MacMall. But, it seems me almost no way to get it soon.
In fact, Apple decided to put the model into BTO. And Mail Order Reseller started to
remove the choice from their site and add Combo model instead.
I gave up the CD-RW model, and ordered DVD model at ClubMac yesterday.
Somehow I got one with DVD and it was already shipped to me. I hope I can receive it tomorrow.
I have an external CD-RW USB at home. So, I can use it if I want to burn CD.

paulp
May 23, 2001, 01:10 PM

I ordered a BTO CD-RW w/20 GB and Airport. 5/1/2001 In the AM, still nothing.

Paul

bikinijack  (op)
May 23, 2001, 01:57 PM

I guess Outpost reported getting 10 CDRW units yesterday, which is a start. My gripe is that if Apple can send the retailers these units, what about the Mac Faithful who ordered from the store within days of the iBook being announced? Is that anyway to treat loyalty? Who does Apple think is flooding those retail stores?

[This message has been edited by bikinijack (edited 05-23-2001).]

eTard
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 02:08 PM

bikinijack,

As a mac "loyalist", I hate to brake it to you, but apple seems to have no concern for us "loyalists". They kknow we are hooked and keep coming back like friggin junkies with addictions. This has been proven to me time and time again by some of their odd policies (one example: I was one of the people that Apple screwed with it's policy of not allowing people to return Apple products to resellers - even unopened and unused - when I purchased my DP G4 500 a mere 2 days before they lowered the price over $500 --- their answer to me, "sorry". I could not return it for a refund or an exchange. They did not stand behind their resellers that also got screwed in that deal.)

Anyway, it is common knowledge that Apple fills its reseller needs (for the most part) first, and their needs second. Most people buy from resellers versus the Apple store, so there is higher demand and more money to be had (KEY CONCEPT) by filling those orders first.

Also, I never understood why people want to buy via Apple when they have shipping costs, they never throw in anything for free like Outpost and other places (free 128 megs), and if you are in CA we have to pay tax, and they fill their orders last. I just never see that buying direct has ever been really beneficial.

------------------
eTard.....don't be one
eTard.....don't be one

Friends don't let friends be an eTard

EebyGeeby
May 23, 2001, 02:29 PM

uhm, what exactly does CTO stand for? isn't it BTO? just wondering.. .and no, I haven't received mine yet either. . .

------------------
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard. . .
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard. . .

. . .and as always folks, please remember to rewind your DVDs

bikinijack  (op)
May 23, 2001, 02:29 PM

eTard,
You've proved it, I'm an eTard. Won't buy from the Apple Store again, that's for sure.

bikinijack  (op)
May 23, 2001, 02:31 PM

CTO = Configure To Order as opposed to Build To Order. The difference between the two can be found in the giant 200+ thread about ordering the iBook

Skatchet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 02:40 PM

Well, originally, you had to order the dvd/cdrw combo from the Apple Store, and for the larger 20 gig hard drive, isn't it necessary to order from Apple? After reading the thread about installing a larger hard drive and seeing the associated pics, I'm happy I'm not going to be tearing apart my ibook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules