Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CDRW Shipping!!!!!

CDRW Shipping!!!!!
bikinijack
May 26, 2001, 12:11 AM

I went into the Apple Store just now and here is what I found when i looked at my order for a 500/CDRW/192MB/20GB:
IBOOK 500/WHT/192/20G/CDRW/LL Z03K00T04 $ 1,899.00 1 $ 1,899.00
White 065-2473
192MB SDRAM 065-2819
20GB Ultra ATA drive 065-2862
CD-RW drive 065-2548
No AirPort Card 065-2471
IBOOK 500/WHT/192/20G/CDRW/LL; 1 shipped on 06/07/2001

They are saying it "shipped" [past tense]...BUT ON 6/07/2001??????????? It's not even June yet...

Then at the bottom where there is a note that says a "check mark" means that it has fully shipped; BESIDE THE IBOOK IS A CHECK MARK TO INDICATE THAT IT HAS FULLY SHIPPED!

What the *&^%$%^ does this mean????

I guess it means something :-)

[This message has been edited by bikinijack (edited 05-26-2001).]

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 26, 2001, 12:21 AM

That's weird as hell!

I just checked my status...sure enough... the same mysterious June 7th shipping date!!!

IBOOK 500/WHT/192/20G/DVD/LL Z03K00T02 $ 1,740.00 1 $ 1,740.00
White 065-2473
192MB SDRAM 065-2819
20GB Ultra ATA drive 065-2862
DVD ROM drive 065-2470
No AirPort Card 065-2471IBOOK 500/WHT/192/20G/DVD/LL; 1 shipped on 06/07/2001

------------------
"I want my 'book!"

bikinijack  (op)
May 26, 2001, 03:12 AM

What really makes it weird is that it says that it has "fully shipped" even though June 7 is over a week away! Could we be in the APPLE TWILIGHT ZONE???????

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2001, 08:26 AM

Check and see if you have a FedEx or other carrier tracking number on the item (should be on the order status page). If you do, check the carrier for tracking info. If they show the package in transit, then you're iBook is probably on it's way and the date is wrong. If there is no tracking info, then maybe June 7 is the planned shipping date.

chub
May 26, 2001, 09:06 AM

Man, this stuff is looking good for us "CD-RW/20gb hd/256 ram" folks. I'm still checking order status, nothing yet

I did use FedEx...come on iBook...

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 26, 2001, 12:08 PM

Good news.

I called Apple abotu this mysterious JUNE 7th thing. They said that my iBook was in the process of being shipped, and should arrive on TUESDAY! WUHOO!!!!

-Brad

------------------
"I want my 'book!"

ibookbum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2001, 01:12 PM

i got the june 7th thing also. My fedex tracking numbers say it is enroute from taiwan to alaska but on 5/27 00:00.

mine is a combo drive

ibookbum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2001, 01:14 PM

winsoboogi, what shipping did you get?

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2001, 01:55 PM

My CD-RW with 128 MB of RAM and a 10 GB hard drive still says being assembled But then again, I just ordered on Thursday.

------------------
Giantmike's Website - Where Macintosh is THE Rule.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

bikinijack  (op)
May 26, 2001, 04:04 PM

I have no FedEx # yet, but I do have a headache from hitting the refresh button exactly 1,475 times since I saw the June 7 shipping date. COME ON, lick the stamp and put it in the box!

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 26, 2001, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by ibookbum:
winsoboogi, what shipping did you get?
2-day. But Monday is a holiday.

------------------
"I want my 'book!"

tie
Professional Poster
May 26, 2001, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by bikinijack:
What really makes it weird is that it says that it has "fully shipped" even though June 7 is over a week away! Could we be in the APPLE TWILIGHT ZONE???????
Send this over to AtAT. The truth is out there.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

bikinijack  (op)
May 26, 2001, 09:55 PM

Has anyone actually seen a CDRW [not a combo] yet?

Oddjob
May 27, 2001, 12:57 AM

You sure they don't mean July 6?!?!(Just Teasin'!). Keep us posted.

Oddjob

bikinijack  (op)
May 27, 2001, 03:23 AM

If my iBook doesn't come I won't be alive on July 6.

bikinijack  (op)
May 27, 2001, 02:33 PM

Still hasn't shipped, June 7 must be the ship date.

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2001, 05:30 PM

Either June 7 is the ship date, or it was all ready to go, built to order, in the box, but missed the final fedex pick up on Saturday (remember, you're on Taiwan time, so first thing Saturday morning in the States was actually after close of business in Taiwan).

Not just to make you feel better, but I've never see and Apple Store order status page update with the planned ship date. Just once it has shipped or is ready to ship. Check Monday morning (I don't think FedEx in Taiwan will observe Memorial Day) and see if you don't have a tracking number. Good luck. And let us know!

bikinijack  (op)
May 27, 2001, 05:45 PM

I talked to "Tim" from the Apple Store, who was actually very professional and very nice considering all of that saliva that was hitting the phone receiver from my end when I was asking him about the strange message on the Apple Store site, i.e., that the CDRW was being shipped though it had a June 7 date. He replied that the Apple Store Store had been down and that other customers had called about getting the exact same message which he can't explain [so not only is "the truth out there", but others are experiencing June 7 shipping dates]. He said that mine actually has a production number which means the order was sent by Apple and acknowledged by Taiwan, which means, gulp, slobber, drool, it will be sent ANY DAY NOW because my iBook was ordered so early on in the feeding frenzy [May 2].

Okay, calm down, hit the refresh button at the Apple Store, get out of the basement, go take a shower, shave, say hello to the wife and kids, and eat some food, go hit refresh again.

chub
May 27, 2001, 05:46 PM

Bikini, don't throw in the towel yet, just keep checking, or give apple a call asap.

It was my understanding the CTO's are build & shipped fm Sacremento?

bikinijack  (op)
May 27, 2001, 05:53 PM

Chub,
Checking? Checking? I haven't brushed my teeth since May 2. My right index mouse clicking finger has swollen to the size of a billy club and the kids come to the basement with their friends "to watch our dad talk to himself and scream at the computer about apples."

bikinijack  (op)
May 27, 2001, 11:37 PM

Anyone who gets a CDRW [not the combo drive] sent to them from the Apple Store, please make sure you post it here!

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2001, 08:31 AM

I've noticed people on this forum post that their CTO machines that have shipped, shipped from Taiwan.

chub
May 28, 2001, 08:33 AM

Bikini,

As far as I can tell, you will be the 1st to receive the CD-RW However, I'm not to far in the back of the line...

Keep checking my friend, it's on the way.

My son feels I'm losing it, "Dad, why do you wait like this?" "Awww, Son, it's just a new Apple."

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2001, 08:59 AM

Just got a shipment email from the Apple Store/Ireland.

iBook CDRW/10/128/AirPort Card ordered 01 May, order date changed (?) to 07 May

shipped today with TNT.

I wonder if I should sleep next to my mail box.
Boy, this is exciting!

DrIcaro
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

chub
May 28, 2001, 11:17 AM

Drlcaro, well, it almost appears those of us who ordered the 20 gig hd w/ the CD-RW could be getting punished for it

When you receive it, please post the details...

mmarcos
May 28, 2001, 01:07 PM

I'll pass this along to the anxious audience here. I got an email from Apple while I was online though not the one I was anxious for. It was a notice that my credit card transaction had not gone through.

After clearing it up with both the bank and Apple, the rep, quite kind, said that the item (my iBook/20/256/CDRW/Airport) should be shipping within the following two days. Hope so.
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2001, 01:54 PM

When did you order?

bikinijack  (op)
May 28, 2001, 03:16 PM

Still nothing, which isn't a problem except for the fact that my wife and kids have moved into a hotel because "Daddy has a problem in the basement." They'll be back.

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2001, 04:16 PM

It's after 3am in Taiwan. They're closed for the night. Check either late, late tonight or probably more rationally, first thing in the morning.

And my wife hasn't moved out, she just rolls her eyes at me all the time and I have to try to hide it when I check this forum or the Order Status page. I'm not sure which is worse.

Stebahan
May 28, 2001, 04:43 PM

Thats nothing, I keep building an iBook from mashed potatoes. I am thinking of tearing apart my living room and making a real big one from dirt, gravel and shrubs.

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2001, 04:43 PM

A couple of hours later I received another shippment notice for the AV cable that I ordered a week ago. Now the cable tracking number shows up in the TNT site as 'in transit' and the iBook shows as 'not found'.

Looks like its going to be another one of those high expectation days that is going to leave me playing with all those things that are waiting for THE BOOK to arrive:

AirPort Base Station, AV cable, 256 RAM, security cable ..... Dr.
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

bikinijack  (op)
May 28, 2001, 05:37 PM

Building iBooks with mashed potatoes? I'm going to try that [how do you make mashed potatoes? my wife is gone], maybe add an extra usb port with a fork. But you're right, we need to take action. I'm booking a flight to Taiwan if the iBook doesn't ship by the end of the "3-5 week promise" that is now tattooed into my groin [will they let me on the plane in my bathrobe and slippers?].

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2001, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by sanford:
It's after 3am in Taiwan. They're closed for the night. Check either late, late tonight or probably more rationally, first thing in the morning.

And my wife hasn't moved out, she just rolls her eyes at me all the time and I have to try to hide it when I check this forum or the Order Status page. I'm not sure which is worse.
I know the feeling. My wife has been laughing at me and calling me obsessed. I've started muting the modem speaker so she doesn't hear me dial in to check my order/shipping status. I'm so ashamed.

bikinijack  (op)
May 28, 2001, 06:04 PM

I'm falling apart, it will be 5 weeks in just 8 days. Just got back from the 7-11 after an attempt to get some food. They wouldn't even serve me, kept saying something about "no shirt, no shoes, no service" but I had real money. What is this country coming to?

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2001, 06:14 PM

Jug, we have DSL so at least I don't have to worry about the tell-tale dial-up noise. But my wife has memorized the look of MacNN and the order status page from about 20 feet, so she knows what I'm up to! It's pitiful...

bikinijack  (op)
May 28, 2001, 06:21 PM

Sanford,
Set your wife up at a hotel, it works well for me. Eating and laundry are a bit of a problem, but at least I don't get those guilty harangs for not going to work, taking out the garbage and mowing the lawn.

Chub
May 28, 2001, 06:32 PM

Man, actually I believe my wife is feeling sorry for me. She let me pay someone to mow the lawn.

I sorta like the ideal of mashed potatoes...

mmarcos
May 28, 2001, 06:46 PM

Whoops, should have included my order date on my original post: May 3.
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

bikinijack  (op)
May 29, 2001, 01:53 AM

What came first: the posting on the Apple Store site that the iBook has shipped or the e-mail message from Apple that the iBook has shipped?????

kurdistang
May 29, 2001, 09:03 AM

CDRW, 10gig, 256(+128)ram, no airport. Ordered May 3rd from the Apple Store. Left Tawain for Alaska on May 28th. Fedex. Anyday now.

MUGlover
May 29, 2001, 11:11 AM

My Combo/20GB HD/256MB RAM/AirPort was announced on May 26th as shipped on May 28th. By the end of May 27th it was in Anchorage. FedEx explained that is where Customs looks over the items assembled in Taiwan, so I will not get the iBook on Tuesday. Maybe Wednesday.

I also am curious about exactly what version of OS X will be on the iBook. Anyone else know yet? -Jim

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 11:58 AM

Just got off the phone with Apple Store order info. According to the rep, my CDRW/20GIG/Airport configure to order is in the "testing stage" of the build process. I have no idea what that means, except that it sounds better than 3-5 weeks, we have no other information which I have been hearing until today.

Also was told should be here the week of June 4. Of course, I have no idea if this is a solid date or since it is in the testing stage, it could ship any day now, but they pad quoted dates in case it fails a test and has to be rebuilt. I'd like to believe they pad the dates and it could ship tomorrow, but who knows.

Again, I have no idea what "testing stage" really means in the Apple CTO process, but it sounds like my iBook may indeed be built and just waiting on testing and shipping... or not, but I'll choose to believe what I want to!

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 03:33 PM

Anybody received a confirmed shipping notice on their cdrw from The Apple Store? Was it a custom order? When did you order?

Or have any Apple Store cdrw customers picked up revised status on their cdrws?

bikinijack  (op)
May 29, 2001, 03:46 PM

GOD EXISTS. MY IBOOK CDRW/192 MB/20GB SHIPPED TODAY FROM TAIWAN FED EX, ORDERED MAY 2 AT THE APPLE STORE.

FACED WITH HUGE DILEMMAS. WHAT TO DO WITH ALL OF THOSE MASHED POTATOES? SHOULD I LET MY WIFE AND KIDS COME HOME OR DO I PLAY WITH IT FOR A WEEK OR SO? DO I SHAVE AND SHOWER AND EAT OR DO I LOAD PROGRAMS? I WAS WITH MY WIFE FOR THE BIRTHS OF ALL FOUR OF MY KIDS, BUT THE PENDING ARRIVAL OF THE IBOOK EASILY RIVALS IT ALL. IF MY WIFE DOESN'T DIVORCE ME, MY NEXT KID IS GOING TO BE NAMED STEVE IBOOK JOBS. I AM GOING TO KISS THE FEDEX DELIVERY GUY WHEN HE COMES AND GIVE HIM A CUBAN CIGAR. HELP ME.

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 03:51 PM

You remind me of the satellite TV commericals running lately. The ones where the guys tell the installer that they love him while he is installing their dish!

Bear in mind that your wife may give you just as much trouble about checking the fedex tracking site as she did the Apple order status. And my advice is shave and shower right now, so you'll be ready for another week or so of iBook focus once it gets to you.

I heard this morning, by calling the Apple Store, that my CDRW/20GIG/Airport customer order is in the "testing phase" and should ship soon. How soon, I don't know. They said week of June 4 at the latest, but I'm hoping it tests out okay and gets out the door in the next day or two!

bikinijack  (op)
May 30, 2001, 05:14 AM

You gotta admit that Apple delivered a great machine within the 3-5 weeks they promised. If only they could do this everytime they introduced a new product their stock price would be 100.

I'm calm now, tranquil, off all medication, the iBook arrives tomorrow.

kurdistang
May 30, 2001, 09:46 AM

My CDRW, 10 gig, 256(+128)ram, non airport, iBook, is at my front, but I'm at work. Wow, last night before I went to bed it was in Alaska. I chek with fedex this morning, and it's in my town. I can't wait to get home.

jblakeh1
Senior User
May 30, 2001, 10:28 AM

You gotta admit that Apple delivered a great machine within the 3-5 weeks they promised. If only they could do this everytime they introduced a new product their stock price would be 100.
Wish I could share your enthusiasm. The Apple Store cancelled the order I placed May 1, with no explanation as to why. Now I'm at the back of the line.

------------------
.b
http://homepage.mac.com/jblakeh1
http://www.sit3.com

amrosario
May 30, 2001, 10:47 AM

Got it! Last night it was in Alaska and now I'm typing on it. 3 weeks to the day. It's a little heavier than I expected, but I cannot remember how heavy my last Powerbook was. Also, the keeyboard has a slight springiness to it that I'm not crazy about. The modem sounded distorted when I logged in, but other sounds from the speakers did not. I'll post more when I get a chance to sit with this for a while.

Good luck to all those still waiting. It seems like it's worth the wait.
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat."

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 08:06 AM

Custom config CD-RW 20 GIG/Airport ordered 12 May/Apple Store shipped 14.30 31 May Taiwan time.

Just waitin' on FedEx now...

Forum Links
Forum Rules