Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Kensington Microsaver

Kensington Microsaver
bmurakami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 11:24 PM

We have a new iBook (500 MHz) and the Kensignton Microsaver security lock. The Kensington website says it's perfectly the right one. However, we insert the lock into the slot, and the key will not turn even with a lot of force.

Do we have a bad lock? Does yours work flawlessly and turn without any excessive force? Please post your story.

BobVB
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 01:57 AM

I had to hold mine in tight and turn it quite forcefully the first time. After that it didn't seem to be as difficult.

Oh, and the local Apple store here in Seattle had their G4 TiBook secured with one until this weekend when they found it dangling alone. Someone had just ripped it right out of the G4 and walked out of the store with it.

Needless to say they aren't foolproof. I unscrewed the lid off my iBook and put a business card inside with the words 'stolen from' written on it. At least that way there is a slight chance for karma to catch up with who ever might dare steal my precious. <gollum>

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 12:29 PM

I have a Targus model with a combo lock on it. It was a little difficult to get to work at first. The little prongs can be difficult.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

jjf
May 31, 2001, 10:18 PM

I tried the Targus combo lock today too. It's pretty tough to get the prongs into the slot. once in there, it's really secure, but getting them back out is tough. I got pretty worried there of a second. After 5 minutes of praying and wiggling the hell out of it, it popped out. Now I think i'll onky use it on special occasions.

Any one else have trouble with the targus lock?

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Jun 1, 2001, 01:19 AM

The little prongs will close so you can remove. But it's the way to push the button and twist it. I'll try it at work tomorrow and tell you how to do it exactly.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 10:03 AM

I have been using the Targus lock inserting and pulling it out carefully and firmly with the screen closed and it works wonders for my peace of mind. It's a tight fit. I guess somebody could just yank it out, still I feel I've done my part in securing it. DrIcaro
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

Forum Links
Forum Rules