Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS2 Price Drop?

PS2 Price Drop?
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2007, 05:59 PM

Anyone think Sony will drop the PS2's price to $99 sometime this year? I was waiting for such a price drop, but I would have thought it would have occurred by now. Maybe Sony is waiting for the holidays? Maybe Sony is losing too much money on the PS3 to sacrifice the extra profit on PS2 sales.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2007, 06:15 PM

I would think most everyone who is ever going to purchase a PS2 has one by now. Take me for example, a Nintendo fan. I finally bought one last year.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2007, 07:33 PM

Ps2's still sell relatively well (for a dead console anyway). So I wouldn't imagine a further price drop this year.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I would think most everyone who is ever going to purchase a PS2 has one by now. Take me for example, a Nintendo fan. I finally bought one last year.
Well, I'm rarely in the "most people" category, it seems, especially when it comes to game consoles. I bought a Dreamcast when it was discontinued and games were $20 a pop, and I very much enjoyed the system until recently, when I bought a Wii, which I'm not quite happy with and am trying to sell at the moment.

If the PS3 were a few hundred dollars cheaper, I would go that route. But I'm not spending more than $300 for the core system (minus extra controllers, necessary accessories, etc.). So instead I aim to get a PS2 and enjoy it for two years or so until the PS3's price comes down enough (and PS3 game prices come down) for me to enjoy it.

Besides I'm sure there are some additional PS2 purchases to be made by those seeking to replace a broken console or buy their kids an affordable game machine. But I take it you don't see any more price drops anytime soon?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2007, 05:15 PM

Just buy a used one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules