Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth Mouse: Should I get one now?

Bluetooth Mouse: Should I get one now?
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 01:32 AM

Apple's new wireless keyboard looks really nice. But its lack of trackpad frustrate me greatly, and makes me wonder whether Apple is ever going to release a wireless keyboard with an integrated trackpad in the immediate future. See, I use my Mac mini as a media center or whatnot, like some of the other folk around here do, and Apple's new wireless keyboard would be perfect for it had it an integrated trackpad.

But such is the stuff of techno-dreams. Anyhow, I need a pointing device for my Mac mini. I do more than play media on it. I use it for many applications, I paid for a computer after all, not a simple media server. And it also happens to be the fastest (and only dual-core) computer in the house at the moment.

Right now, I am using an old Apple wireless keyboard with the numeric keypad to control the cursor. But, it's something like eating salad with a tiny spoon, or soup with a fork. It can work, but it's clumsy and I feel like I don't have "real" control. So, I've come to the conclusion that I need to find a suitable input device for mouse-functions.

So far, I'm considering the Apple Mighty Mouse, and the Macally BTMouse. I'm leaning towards the Macally one because it has a more traditional design (I like nipples, but not so much on mice) and its less expensive. It's not a perfect setup. I won't be able to a mouse from the sofa, but at least I'll be able to work on the Mac while I'm sitting down at the counter nearby.

Regardless, my question to you is: Should I get a bluetooth mouse, and if so, would this be a good time to buy? Anyone have a good reason to suspect my dream product is just around the corner, or that there will be a significant update to the Apple Mighty mouse soon? Is there anything out there now that will do what I want?

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2007, 01:44 AM

Since you are using the Mac mini as a media center, why not try this wireless mouse from Logitech?

link to engadget page
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2007, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Anyone have a good reason to suspect my dream product is just around the corner, or that there will be a significant update to the Apple Mighty mouse soon?
No and no.

Originally Posted by Gamoe
Is there anything out there now that will do what I want?
Don't know how well they work on a Mac, but here's somethings to try:

Logitech DiNovo Edge
Adesso Keyboard with Trackpad
Keysonic RF Wireless Keyboard w/ trackpad
Wireless Computer Keyboards

pssst... Google is your friend.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 02:09 AM

I am looking for a new mouse myself and I would like it to be a bluetooth one. However, there are not many to choose from.

I once tried Apple’s Mighty Mouse in a store and didn’t like it. One of the two wouldn’t accept my right-clicks and the other only sometimes. I was surprised by the manufacturing tolerance and saw that design and functionality sometimes don’t mix. I will be happy with real buttons that give my fingers a feedback and no touch sensitive guessing mumbo that I have to get used to. I want a mouse that does what I click and not a mouse where I have to learn how to click or in other words: technology has to adapt to me, not I to technology and I know it’s possible. – I don’t expect Apple to change much on the Mighty Mouse anytime soon.

I could not try that MacAlly mouse, but it looks a bit like kitchen plastic and I do want five buttons, not just three so that Exposé makes more fun.

Then there’s that Microsoft BT mouse. Hard plastic, gray, ... feels a bit cheap in my hand but has probably better quality than feel. However, my need for a new mouse is not that urgent that I would buy a MS mouse right now, but that’s how I think.

I would have liked a Logitech MX900, but it’s almost a year out of the stores now. It had some nice reviews and I hope, Logitech comes up with a comparable Bluetooth mouse again. The closest non-Bluetooth Logitech mouse that would fit my needs best was the LX7. I would have bought one even though it has no Bluetooth, but it does not feel good in my hand with that slim back part.

So currently I am waiting.

-

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by andretan View Post
Since you are using the Mac mini as a media center, why not try this wireless mouse from Logitech?

link to engadget page
Not a bad suggestion. However, I'm not sure I want to get into a device which requires yet another receiver, when the mini has a perfectly good Bluetooth receiver built-in.

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Thanks for the links. Maybe I should have mentioned it, but I've already seen all these options. Either they're RF, not fully functional on the Mac, too expensive ($200 for a keyboard?!), or ugly as sin.

I guess I expect too much.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2007, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Not a bad suggestion. However, I'm not sure I want to get into a device which requires yet another receiver, when the mini has a perfectly good Bluetooth receiver built-in.

Thanks for the links. Maybe I should have mentioned it, but I've already seen all these options. Either they're RF, not fully functional on the Mac, too expensive ($200 for a keyboard?!), or ugly as sin.

I guess I expect too much.
I think you've answered your own question.... your gonna have to get a wireless mighty mouse despite its flaws. I think the macally one looks terrible!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
I once tried Apple’s Mighty Mouse in a store and didn’t like it. One of the two wouldn’t accept my right-clicks and the other only sometimes. I was surprised by the manufacturing tolerance and saw that design and functionality sometimes don’t mix.
Just FYI, since the function of the buttons can be changed with the software, its possible that on the mouse that wouldn't accept your right-click the function was actually disabled, not defective.

And to register the right-click, you can't have your finger touching the left-click area. Just a couple of millimeters off the surface is all you need.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 05:10 PM

Just FYI, since the function of the buttons can be changed with the software, its possible that on the mouse that wouldn't accept your right-click the function was actually disabled, not defective.
Thank you, that’s possible though it might have been that it or they worked a little better with other people there, but it’s been a while and perhaps I don’t remember correctly.

And to register the right-click, you can't have your finger touching the left-click area. Just a couple of millimeters off the surface is all you need.
Yep, I know that, but I really prefer a mouse that adapts to my fingers than a mouse that needs my fingers to adapt.

-

Rumor
Aug 25, 2007, 08:45 PM

I have a Logitech V270 and it's been working fine. I haven't noticed any significant lag. The battery life has been great as well, I haven't had to change them since I got my MBP back in June.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I have a Logitech V270 and it's been working fine. I haven't noticed any significant lag. The battery life has been great as well, I haven't had to change them since I got my MBP back in June.
I just ordered one yesterday. But I was going to wait to get it before posting again. Thanks for the feedback.

I thought I was going to have to with the overpriced Mighty Mouse (or the Macally one). Instead I ordered a Silver V270 for about $40. I hope I find it as good as you have.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 02:22 AM

I also found these bluetooth mice from Radtech.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 05:03 AM

Thanks for posting that link. The only of these I would like to try is the 5-button one. I like how the OS X instructions go that much into detail that they provide links to updates and tell that from 10.4.6 upwards some sleep issues were introduced. The use of an USB cable to charge is surely not that common too. But then for $59.95 I would like to have it seen and had in my hand before ordering it.

-

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Wow, that mouse looks really nice. It sounds like it corrects the problems that the old MX900 had. If only there was a version with more than three buttons...

Anyone who has the Radtech - how do those mice compare with Logitech in terms of lag and battery life?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 03:36 PM

Thanks for posting that link.
Sure. It's nice to find out there are some more options out there.

But then for $59.95 I would like to have it seen and had in my hand before ordering it.
I know what you mean. I would try to find it in a store (with a good return policy) or buy it from a trustworthy site that will refund or give you credit if you don't like it.

BTW, I just saw this from IOGear on the front page. Not Bluetooth, but it does have a built-in trackball. I'm seriously considering it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules