Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch: Good for writing?

iPod Touch: Good for writing?
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 03:01 PM

I've played around with the iPod Touch and the iPhone at The Apple Store, of course. But, I was wondering what the experienced owners of said devices opine on the effectiveness of the Touch/iPhone as a casual writing device. Let me give you some background: I often like to jot down some notes, or write a few short paragraphs while away from my MacBook. I could write in a paper notebook, but then that would mean rewriting it when I get home. I'd much rather directly input it digitally the first time.

Now, I used to do this when I owned a Palm PDA using Gaphiti and sometimes, a keyboard (I had a Treo 180 with a keyboard). I must admit, the experience wasn't stellar, and I've never been particularly good at working with little keyboards or even Graphiti. But, at least I could get it done. Now, my question: Is the Touch/iPhone at least as good, if not better, for writing than using Graphiti on a Palm PDA? Could this really serve me as a casual writing device? Or am I asking the wrong thing out of a Touch/iPhone?

BTW, I plan to get a Touch if anything, but I figure there are probably many more iPhone than Touch users, and the experience is directly transferable from one to the other. I also like the PDA-like features of the Touch, of course. But I want to know if it's really useful for jotting down some text as well.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2008, 03:14 PM

I have never used Grafitti but I would say yes the touch is good for writing short amounts.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I have never used Grafitti but I would say yes the touch is good for writing short amounts.
What would you recommend he write in? Notes? And then how would you suggest him to sync to his computer as he said he wanted to do?

No, as of now, I don't think the iPhone or iPod touch will do what you want very well. The answer may completely change in a month after the SDK brings some new apps (maybe something to do exactly what you're saying... shoot, I could use that app!). But as of now, no, I don't think you'd be satisfied using it for that purpose.

mikemako
Senior User
Feb 4, 2008, 09:39 PM

Taking notes is one of the ways I use my iPhone. I like to jot down thoughts throughout the day, and they usually consist of a few paragraphs. This device works very nicely for this task, especially once you get used to typing on it.

To get it backed up to your computer, you can e-mail a copy of the note to yourself.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2008, 08:02 AM

Speaking of taking notes and stuff... here's a serious thought and a serious question...

When the new updates come out in June or whenever, what are the chances of someone using the SDK software to (maybe Apple) port the notetaking and handwriting abilities of the Newton Messegepad over to the Touch and iPhone? I would shell out cash for that upgrade.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2008, 10:07 AM

Does the iPod Touch via Bluetooth support those collapsable travel keyboards ?
Wait, does the iPod Touch even HAVE BT ?

How about the iPhone ? Does it support BT devices other than headsets ?

-t

HenryMelton
Mar 12, 2008, 11:23 AM

I assume that the Touch is identical to the iPhone as far as Notes are concerned. If not, ignore what follows.

I am a science fiction writer and have been for many years, with more than a dozen novels completed and two out for sale (see amazon). Some were written on my Newton with attached keyboard purely for the mobility. I'm finding the iPhone even easier to use for writing at odd moments.

The basics: Write one or two chapters per note, and then sync to iTunes and use either the Uninovate script or MegaPhone to extract the note content and paste it into Word or whatever your Mac's writing program.
I've blogged about this here.

The advantages: Easy to use. After 55000 words on my latest novel, it's fast and relatively easy to type. I'm a one-finger guy myself.

The disadvantages: No Bold, underline or italic. Dialog is difficult, because of the contortions you go through to shift to symbols for quotemarks. Since I'm essentially writing a first draft, however, I am confident I'll fix all these in re-write. Anything more than about 5000 words and it gets difficult to scroll through the text to look for "what did I name that minor character back in chapter three?". Definitely split larger items into multiple notes. Since you will definitely want to copy your first draft text frequently to your main writing machine, don't bother with editing previous notes.

That's all for now.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2008, 11:46 AM

Cool to know, Henry.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jayzen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by HenryMelton View Post
Dialog is difficult, because of the contortions you go through to shift to symbols for quotemarks.
Do you use the symbol shortcut?

Instead of hitting .?123, then hitting quotes, you can touch .?123 then without lifting your finger, slide to the quotes and you're back to typing. I don't know if this is any easier.

jayzen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by HenryMelton View Post
Dialog is difficult, because of the contortions you go through to shift to symbols for quotemarks.

Instead of hitting .?123, then hitting quotes, you can touch .?123 then without lifting your finger, slide to the quotes and you're back to typing. I don't know if this is any easier.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jayzen View Post

Never knew that.

It also flicks back to the qwerty keyboard from symbols if you press the space bar.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2008, 03:10 PM

It would have to be really short notes. If Apple enabled the Notes apps to work when then Touch is horizontally oriented, then it would be much better for my. When the Touch is vertical, my hands are simply too large to be able to type using both thumbs (BBerry style), which is much faster than typing using one finger.

HenryMelton
Mar 18, 2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by jayzen View Post

Yes, my daughter taught me the shortcut, but consider what it takes to quote a sentence:
shortcut slide to "
shift button (because autocaps don't work after a quote)
type the sentence
double space to get the period
backspace
shortcut slide to "

It's a little complicated for a very common sequence.

Forum Links
Forum Rules