Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Phone recommendations other than T68i ?Phone recommendations other than T68i?

Phone recommendations other than T68i ?Phone recommendations other than T68i?
pseudosnow
Dec 24, 2002, 02:57 PM

I have been using a T68i happily for a few months until it disappeared yesterday. So I guess it's time for a new phone.I really liked the T68i (it works well with isync, iCal, internet connection, etc)but admittedly am getting a little bored.The problem is there doesn't seem to be many choices out there.I want a phone that has built-in Bluetooth, preferably a colour screen and is iSync-compatible.And because I live in Hong Kong it needs to be a GSM phone.So far I have only found Nokia 8910 which does have BT, but only has B/W screen and I don't think it is compatible with iSync(but it is made of Titanium and would match my PBG4).An improved model 8910i is coming out soon and it has a colour screen. No idea about release date and I don't think I can wait. It's funny: there are so many cool phones available in Hong Kong, yet only a few have BT. Any recommendations? Or I have to get a T68i again?

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 24, 2002, 03:12 PM

Since you liked your t68i and it served you well perhaps you should get it again and look for other avenues to cure your boredom.

The only other phone I can recommend is the Sony Ericsson T800. That will keep you busy for a while.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 24, 2002, 03:37 PM

My sister used to have one of the Titanium Nokias (8810, I think it was). The microphone slide cover broke, so you couldn't hear her properly, and the metal case gives the phone not-so-great reception*. I'd sooner recommend you a plastic phone.

tooki

P.S. *Gee doesn't this sound familiar... darn TiBooks with next-to-no Airport reception!

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Dec 24, 2002, 04:45 PM

I had the Nokia 8860 before my t68i and it fell from knee hit and the mike busted for good. They couldn't even fix it! It took them 6 weeks to ship my a new phone.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2002, 09:38 AM

Go for the SE P800 - just out, and probably costs a fortune tho
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by RevEvs:
Go for the SE P800 - just out, and probably costs a fortune tho
Have you had a look at the SPV? It looks nice, has a nice big color screen, but uh pls don't hit me, it runs on windows for cellphones..

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by motti:
Have you had a look at the SPV? It looks nice, has a nice big color screen, but uh pls don't hit me, it runs on windows for cellphones..
Don�t even bother with one... �t�s basically a phone with MS PocketPc phone edition without excel and word. Wait and see 1-2 years and mayby most of bugs are removed.

TIP! A good choise is Siemens S55 which has 2 year warranty and bluetooth and all extras you could expect from a modern phone.

Also the if you don�t like Nokia and Ericsson the Moto 720 cellphone have recived good user reviews in europe.

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2002, 02:38 PM

The Siemens S55 may not be Mac compatible.... I got the following reply from Siemens Ireland with respect to the phone working with macs...
""In relation to your e-mail regarding which programs can you use with your
Siemens S55, it is only possible to connect it to either Windows 98 (and
newer versions) Microsoft Outlook, and Lotus Notes. "
I was told by another mac user that the phone supports SyncML protocol which is what iSync uses but who knows ? ?

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by finknottle:
The Siemens S55 may not be Mac compatible.... I got the following reply from Siemens Ireland with respect to the phone working with macs...
""In relation to your e-mail regarding which programs can you use with your
Siemens S55, it is only possible to connect it to either Windows 98 (and
newer versions) Microsoft Outlook, and Lotus Notes. "
I was told by another mac user that the phone supports SyncML protocol which is what iSync uses but who knows ? ?
well the Nokia 7650 does supports syncML but only over GPRS. So if the Siemens only syncs over Cable, irda or Bluetooth it propably should work! But as usual no one knows for sure!

"Techsupport personnel often have no clue than what their checklist tells them to say!"

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2002, 05:51 PM

iSync is still in beta right? well its fairly obvious that when iSync is actually released, it will have support for more phones.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Appleman
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
iSync is still in beta right? well its fairly obvious that when iSync is actually released, it will have support for more phones.
Might get introduced by Steve at Macworld?

For the phone: get the P800, you'll love it!

MickS
Senior User
Dec 30, 2002, 06:26 AM

iSync can only sync with phones if there is a usable sync interface on the phone itself. Don't hold your breath for Nokia support.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 30, 2002, 06:00 PM

No, right now Nokia doesn't play nice with bluetooth. It might not support older Nokia phones even when it is final.

Forum Links
Forum Rules