Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The new Matrix Preview looks a little overdone with too much fancy stuff

The new Matrix Preview looks a little overdone with too much fancy stuff
Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Feb 4, 2003, 03:48 PM

I am REALLY looking forward to the next Matrix movies until I watched the new(ish) Superbowl trailer today.

It seems to have gone from a stylized action movie to a episode of Saturday morning X-Men Cartoons.

Neo flying through the city.. twice, people being kicked through brick walls, agents jumping on a car on the freeway and flipping it over. Tons of Mr. Smith?s... oh my.

In this trailer it looks like the took the effects that made all the nerds hard and amplified them by 1000 which now seems very overdone.

If they replaced the characters in this movie with X-Men characters it would work much better.

Aw well, I am still going to see it with my fingers crossed.

http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/

Too Much Coffee Woman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2003, 03:55 PM

i think the first matrix is supposed set up the more action oriented 2nd and 3rd movies

after the original, i don't think it's possible for the storyline to continue without Neo doing amazing things...afterall, he is the one

denim
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
Neo flying through the city..
"You think that's air you're breathing now?" He's not flying. It just looks like that in the Matrix.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2003, 04:09 PM

I am REALLY looking forward to the next Matrix movies until I watched the new(ish) Superbowl trailer today.

It seems to have gone from a stylized action movie to a episode of Saturday morning X-Men Cartoons.

Neo flying through the city.. twice, people being kicked through brick walls, agents jumping on a car on the freeway and flipping it over. Tons of Mr. Smith?s... oh my.

In this trailer it looks like the took the effects that made all the nerds hard and amplified them by 1000 which now seems very overdone.

If they replaced the characters in this movie with X-Men characters it would work much better.

Yeah nothing like the last twenty minute of Attack of the Clones

I think they have to raise the bar or fans will be dissapointed.

DRM

Leia's Right Bun  (op)
Banned
Feb 4, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by denim:
"You think that's air you're breathing now?" He's not flying. It just looks like that in the Matrix.
You don't say.

denim
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 04:15 PM

You don't say.
"There is no spoon." Nope. I don't say. It just feels like I do. Take the plaid pill.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 05:14 PM

I agree it, I think the trailer is overkill.
All the squids, the shooting, Agent Smith & Co. I think it's a little too much.

I also agree with Too Much Coffee Woman, after the first one, Neo will probably get too much fantastic stuff done.

Anyway, we shall see how goot it is.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 05:37 PM

How could you have missed the big thread we had right after the SuperBowl? I put up pictures and everything...

imaxxedout
Banned
Feb 4, 2003, 05:47 PM

What?! A really good movie or series of movies that became insanely popular so hollywood with all of its intelligence produces sequels comprised of nothing but special effects and lacking any real substance >COUGH< STAR WARS >COUGH<

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, for one, do not believe you.

- $

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2003, 12:23 AM

FYI: first episode of "The Animatrix" is up on the site:
http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.co...trix_html.html

144M!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2003, 01:41 AM

Do you have to be so negatives all the time?

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 02:05 AM

If you read this spoiler-packed page at UpComingMovies.com, it seems that the original intent of the creators of The Matrix was to turn it into some kind of super hero epic.

Again, there are some spoilers, but he makes you highlight text to read the really juicy bits.

cdrgonzo20
Feb 5, 2003, 02:16 AM

The Matrix is so completely done for. Have you seen the effects in T3. Wow. So completely amazing.... and the lines, "She'll be back"-brilliant, just brilliant.

It amazes me to this day that hollywood has managed to throw together so many great sequels!!! And the new story line? Brilliant. A terminator travels back in time to kill John Conner? Wow... how do they maintain this level of brilliant writing? I for one am entirely stumped.

And let us never forget the magic that is Star Wars 1 and 2... I think we owe Hollywood $20 per movie...

Keep up the good work! You lazy bastards.
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!
-------------------------------------
My system specs:

2 furry caches
17" diaganol quad pumped weener
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR
overpriced, underperforming, but sleek nonetheless.

I also have a G4.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by cdrgonzo20:
stuff
first of all, don't blame Hollywood for the Star Wars prequels. Those were all George Lucas' doing.

secondly, Terminator 2 was awesome. there is no other word for it.

finally, well...there is no finally. but you get my point.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Feb 5, 2003, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by cdrgonzo20:
The Matrix is so completely done for. Have you seen the effects in T3. Wow. So completely amazing.... and the lines, "She'll be back"-brilliant, just brilliant.

It amazes me to this day that hollywood has managed to throw together so many great sequels!!! And the new story line? Brilliant. A terminator travels back in time to kill John Conner? Wow... how do they maintain this level of brilliant writing? I for one am entirely stumped.

And let us never forget the magic that is Star Wars 1 and 2... I think we owe Hollywood $20 per movie...

Keep up the good work! You lazy bastards.
I was reading your post and thinking "what the **** is he/she smoking" until the end.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2003, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Do you have to be so negatives all the time?

Fine, I am HAPPY to see that the sequal looks like crapola.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 02:31 AM

I'd go to see this babe no matter what:
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

shanraghan
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 02:54 AM

Did the trailer show too much? In terms of spoilers, probably yes, to an extent. Does the action seem overdone? Does it matter? As popular as it has become, does the trailer need to show off all of its intelligence to be an intelligent movie? If you ask me, the trailer is more of a way of saying 'Hey! We're back!' than anything else. I, for one, don't think The Matrix is necessarily going downhill just because they're making two more movies. We're judging the movie too early, and by a 60-Second superbowl trailer, and if I'm correct the Superbowl isn't exactly a wonderful intellectual, plot-oriented think tank. Besdies, regarding plot, I'd rather not have the plot of a movie known to have a respectable heritage (read Matrix I) utterly spoiled just to prove it's not bad. So, don't worry about it. Wait for the longer theatrical trailer at the very least, or, if you're feeling particularly wise, until the move actually comes out to judge. Forgive me, but sometimes I think people overanalyze these things.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2003, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by shanraghan:
Does the action seem overdone? Does it matter? As popular as it has become, does the trailer need to show off all of its intelligence to be an intelligent movie?
My problem with it is not that didn't seem intelligent. My problem is that in the first one the effects were much more subtle and used as little treats here and there.

In this one they seem to have taken what was popular in the first one and used it over and over and exsadurated it to the point of obserdity.

The first matrix Neo and the agents had to follow rules so things were not out of control visually. This one everyone seems to have gone hog wild!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

denim
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
The first matrix Neo and the agents had to follow rules so things were not out of control visually. This one everyone seems to have gone hog wild!
You seem to have misunderstood the first movie. Is your name "Garrison"?

Cipher13
Feb 5, 2003, 11:38 AM

It just seems to have painted itself into a corner...

Neo is too powerful, and the rest of the humans are too useless... heh.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
My problem with it is not that didn't seem intelligent. My problem is that in the first one the effects were much more subtle and used as little treats here and there.

In this one they seem to have taken what was popular in the first one and used it over and over and exsadurated it to the point of obserdity.

You're so full of ignorance... it's sad, really.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Feb 5, 2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by drmcnutt:
Yeah nothing like the last twenty minute of Attack of the Clones
What...something happened in the last twenty minutes of Attack of the Clones?

<--- through most of that movie...both times I saw it!

Only saving thing in that entire movie was Yoda kickin' ass

But back on-topic...Matrix...personally thought the previews looked great and are moving the story forward.

denim
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
It just seems to have painted itself into a corner...
I thought so too, until I caught a comic story in that universe. Now all I think is that they set up a foundation.

Neo is too powerful, and the rest of the humans are too useless... heh.
So they have to ration their use of him.

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by keekeeree:
What...something happened in the last twenty minutes of Attack of the Clones?

<--- through most of that movie...both times I saw it!

Only saving thing in that entire movie was Yoda kickin' ass

But back on-topic...Matrix...personally thought the previews looked great and are moving the story forward.
What didn't happen? CGI city, fake jedi, fake battleships by the truckloads, very "subtle" unlike these horrible overdone Matrix trailers!

DRM

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2003, 03:47 PM

Adam feels sorry for me. Hi-larious

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cipher13
Feb 6, 2003, 01:57 AM

Why don't you enlighten us, then?

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 6, 2003, 03:34 AM

can't we even have a conversation about movies without people getting pissy with each other?
sheesh people, you only live once.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Feb 6, 2003, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
can't we even have a conversation about movies without people getting pissy with each other?
sheesh people, you only live once.
Ya Adam!

Ha ha Demonhood yelled at you

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2003, 09:06 AM

Hmm, I would have to say that a good deal of the movie was not shown in the trailer, just some of the the action bits that could show.

I don't think it will be overly action...

[edit: I also just realized that we do not know if all the shots in the trailer are from the second movie, or if some are from the 3rd. Another reason I think the movies going to be fine. Grreeat eeeeevvenn.

Exit, stage left -Owl
( Last edited by OwlBoy; Feb 6, 2003 at 09:14 AM. )

denim
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 11:03 AM

(edit: rewrite)

Perhaps some here didn't notice how the first movie climaxed and ended, or at least haven't thought it through. I saw the flying well before they actually showed it.

There are two issues here: the money, and the dramatic/character-development. They get rather intertwined. Keep in mind that the ultimate reason here is to make money.

So...

If Neo has control of what happens in the Matrix, he can do anything. For instance, I figure he bothers with flying because teleporting instantly between locations wouldn't work from a dramatic point of view. It wouldn't be as visual, and it would be harder for the audience to keep up w/o some kind of visual cue like that on Star Trek, which wouldn't make sense in the Matrix.

OTOH, seems to me that he could, in theory, do the agent's own trick against it: be in many places at once. Problem there likely has to do with coordination. Unless he were to figure out a visual way to show himself working in 50 places at once, taking the agents in that one scene on, as "1 on 1", "for each agent there is an instance of Neo" perhaps, then it doesn't work as entertainment. Such a concept would be too hard to coordinate for and by the viewer, let alone for the character. Actually, for all we know, they might solve the problem that way once they've shown all those instances of Agent Smith, to show that such a thing is possible.

Why he can't just say "you, agent! Out of that guy", is most likely similar: it'd make the story too short. This is not logic, it's entertainment. I mean, if Neo was able to just disrupt an agent, purging it from a person by some mental action on his part, how would that be intrinsically entertaining? It'd have to be visual and it'd have to be clear so that the audience, which is not known for being terribly quick on the up-take, would understand it quickly.

As a programmer, it seems to me that Neo could create an anti-agent program similar to antivirus software, which would seek out and delete all agent and agent-related software in the Matrix, but this isn't a computer science movie but something intended to entertain a mass audience. That's what it comes down to: cash.
( Last edited by denim; Feb 6, 2003 at 11:27 AM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2003, 12:13 PM

Good point, if he can do anything, then that means anything, and the best, and fastest anythinghe could do is not entertaining.

-Owl

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2003, 12:18 PM

I HATE TO BREAK IT TO YOU FOLKS BUT A TRAILER IS SUPPOSED TO BE EXTRA FLASHY. IT IS MEANT TO MAKE YOUR JAWS DROP AND DROOL IN ANTICIPATION

THE ACTUAL STORY AND DRAMATIC QUALITY OF THE MOVIE IS YET TO BE SEEN AND IN FACT MAY BE EVEN BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL.

damn i'm smart

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2003, 01:31 PM

Maybe Neo is holding back on whooping all the agents at once because to piss of the machines too much, means they could start pulling plugs on the 'real' humans and create way too much death.

Lead the machines into a false sense of hope however and you can rescue more people. Ressource management would probably dictate that if one person you enlightened, enlightened others, which in turn enlightened others, then it's a helluva lot easier then being one individual doing all the thinking.

It may also be that Neo can't sacrifice all his awareness to his business or the real him would forget to breathe.

Just fun thoughts. I love these movies!
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

denim
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
Maybe Neo is holding back on whooping all the agents at once because to piss of the machines too much, means they could start pulling plugs on the 'real' humans and create way too much death.
Very good point: they hold the ultimate fate of all the plugged-in humans, and can use it as an ultimate threat if they appear to be losing. That says to me that if they're going to lose, it has to be so suddenly that they have no time to retaliate. But that would end the Matrix movie franchise, so I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

It may also be that Neo can't sacrifice all his awareness to his business or the real him would forget to breathe.
Maybe! For all we know, some of what we're saying will appear in the new movies this year. I'm kinda glad I don't know, as that makes this kind of speculation more fun.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Feb 6, 2003, 03:04 PM

Fine if Neo can now do all sorts of neat stuff but it seems that the agents also have the same power.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2003, 05:04 PM

I would but the problem is that you and SW Guys' mind are written in stone then filled with cements

I agree with what APU just said. Commercial is supposed to attract people with special effects, instead of giving away the story.

Forum Links
Forum Rules