Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Applesoft BASIC Emulator for Mac OS X?

Applesoft BASIC Emulator for Mac OS X?
DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 07:27 AM

After reading the article Why Johnny can't code, I developed an urge to code in one of the original unstructured line programming varieties of BASIC (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) (as opposed to Visual BASIC or an alternative structured programming language) on Mac OS X. I once wrote a checkbook accounting program in N80-BASIC on the old NEC PC-8001 mkII, and would like to rewrite it in a line programming BASIC language on Mac OS X.

The article mentioned Chipmunk Basic for Mac OS, which piqued my interest--I am definitely going to get my hands wet with this one over the coming weekend.

Nevertheless, I'd still rather nostalgically rather program in either NEC's N80-BASIC or Apple's Applesoft BASIC. Does anybody know where I can find an emulator for one of these varieties of BASIC that will run on Mac OS X on a PowerPC processor (without requiring an NEC PC-8001 mkII or Apple II system unit to create a ROM image)?

-- DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2006, 09:24 PM

Fraid I don't know of any emulators but you could try BlitzMax which runs basic on Mac os X.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

Forum Links
Forum Rules