Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > how do i trigger a firewireport?

how do i trigger a firewireport?
�
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2002, 07:35 PM

My firewire post is not responding. This is not such a good development, because I have several firewiredevices.
The systemprofiler gives a number instead of the usual message that it found 2 firewire pots (with something in it.

the current message from sysprofile is :
FireWire 2.8.3
fw756266,6f7464

how do i make my port HOT, what does this code mean?

It makes me pretty desperate, I no longer have warranty and SOMETIMES it sees the ports. on totally unpredictale times. believe me, this is a firewire on the loose !
T E K N O

�  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2002, 07:39 PM

i was talking about PORTS , not about POTS and POSTS. haha,you will understand: It' s saturdayevening and I have spent too long trying to solve this issue . There is a hammer next to my computer JUST in case
T E K N O

taffy
Mar 16, 2002, 11:26 PM

some background info?

what os are you running?
what kind of machine and its configuration?
what kind of firewire device are you trying to hookup?

-ck

architim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 03:18 AM

Try a couple things.
Update your drivers from either apple's website of the device manufacturer's websites.
Turn on those babies and keep on unplugging them and plugging them back in. Also try each drive seperately. It might well be a problem in one drive. If you have them chained the first drive could have something wrong with it.
I've got an older 450mhz AGP G4. It took me a couple hours to get my firewire to work. I still don't get full "plug n' play" functionality out of my drive (cd-rw) but the unplug and plug back in normally gets the system to reload the proper driver and get me going.
How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
--Soren Kierkegaard

�  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2002, 11:18 AM

I am running a G4 500 at the moment. OS 9.2 Int, 192 mb ram.
The devices are not chained. Currently there is a dvdrw and a harddisk connected directly to the 2 ports.

This is the devices&volumes message in the systemprofiler :
FireWire 2.8.3
fw756266,6f7464

It is so unreliable. It didn't work for 3 days, and suddenly this morning my external firewiredrive popped up. I think the problem is a hardwareissue. maybe a crack in a wire somewhere that connects between certain temperatures.. Too bad the firewireports are on the mortherboard.
T E K N O

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by �:
<STRONG>maybe a crack in a wire somewhere that connects between certain temperatures.. Too bad the firewireports are on the mortherboard.</STRONG>
Maybe you have a bad firewire cable. Also, do you plug and unplug the firewire devices often? I imagine that repeated plugging and unplugging would loosen stuff up in there...

Prufrock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 08:44 PM

Sometimes, FireWire ports need to be reset. Shut down the system, then unplug all FireWire devices from the computer. Next, unplug the computer form electrical power for 3-5 minutes. Plug it back in, then turn it on and boot up. Now plug the devices back in.

Works for me 80% of the time a device can't be seen.

iamnid
Senior User
Mar 18, 2002, 11:54 PM

Well, probably not the answer you are looking for, but if you have room you can always add a firewire pci card to your powermac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules