Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CD drive on 2009 Macbook Pro kaput?

CD drive on 2009 Macbook Pro kaput?
Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2013, 11:48 AM

Hi all,

The CD drive on one of our 2009 Macbook Pros seems jammed. There appears to be no CD in the drive, yet the drive blocks any attempt to insert a CD. Is the drive done? Is it difficult to install a replacement? If not, can you recommend a good source for a drive and tutorial?

Thx!

Thorzdad
Feb 28, 2013, 01:20 PM

To make sure there isn't still a disc in there, reboot while holding down the trackpad button.

P
Feb 28, 2013, 03:04 PM

If that's not it, try searching iFixit for repair manuals.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chito
Senior User
Feb 28, 2013, 08:04 PM

Try opening Terminal and typing drutil eject. That will force the drive to cycle and may get it working again.
( Last edited by Chito; Mar 1, 2013 at 09:10 AM. )
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2013, 04:28 PM

Have same problem as the OP, tried drutil eject, nothing happened.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2013, 04:37 PM

Sometimes you can unjam one by disassembling it, but more often than not they will jam again before too long. If you don't mind fiddling, its cheaper than a new one so its well worth a try.

To remove the drive, take all the screws out of the bottom of the MacBook and remove the bottom panel. The optical drive is secured by three screws. One at the back of the drive going through a small bracket, and one either side at the front of the drive by the slot.

To get into the drive itself, just remove the four tiny screws from the top of the drive and remove the lid. Its slotted down one side which works a little like a hinge. It should come off easy enough.
Once you have the lid off, you should be able to work out where any jam might be. There is usually a piece of metal that rises up at the front to hold the disc inside the drive. You probably just need to release that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Westbo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2013, 10:42 AM

Hi all, I tried the suggestions no success. I was able to get a CD inserted, now it will not eject. My next step is to try Waragainstsleep's suggestion. If that fails, off to the repair shop. Thx
( Last edited by Westbo; Mar 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo)

andi*pandi
Mar 4, 2013, 11:19 AM

makes you kinda wish there were still a paperclip bypass access port.

Westbo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2013, 12:08 PM

Indeed, Andi!

P
Mar 5, 2013, 06:48 AM

You can still trigger an eject with a paperclip - just push it in at the edge of the slot - but it's just a software button, not a hardware lever to forcibly eject the disc.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules