Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The 20" imac weighs 40lbs!!!! O_O

The 20" imac weighs 40lbs!!!! O_O
Link
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 10:01 AM

Wow I knew it'd be chunky but I never thought *THAT* heavy! Now I wonder how fat the screen is, and how they were able to get the arm to hold that sucker

Looking at my bro's 15" I just can't figure it out lol.. nor if you've seen the inside of the arm.. I guess a stronger innard (metal rod instead of plastic and much heavier spring)
Aloha

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 10:29 AM

I wonder if that is a misprint on the Apple site. The 15 inch is a little over 21 pounds and the 17 is almost 23 pounds.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 11:27 AM

The display is heavier and there is probably a counter weight in the base to keep it from toppling over. I'm just guessing.

Taloston Man
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 01:17 PM

Yes, I'd assume that however heavier the LCD is, they added that and then perhaps a little more to the base just as a dead weight.
If you think "white spots" on the LCD are a manufacturing nightmare, TOPPLING iMACS wouldn't go over much better...
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

castle3
Nov 18, 2003, 01:35 PM

Im a little confused as well as to why they didnt boost the processor speed (or something) maybe throw in some more ram. As i said in an earlier post. I think they are trying to sell some 17Inch for the holidays. Because everyone will go "$2200 for just a few more inches!!??" and then just go with the 17inch. Also does this make [some sort of] way for the new iMacs this spring?? Rumors are that a new physical design will be sometime in the spring. So that means the new iMacs will have a standard 20inch screen...ahh! im confused.
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 05:51 PM

Hey.. my PowerMac G4 weights 42lbs... I move it from place to place... no problem as long as the handles don't break.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by castle3:
Im a little confused as well as to why they didnt boost the processor speed (or something) maybe throw in some more ram. As i said in an earlier post. I think they are trying to sell some 17Inch for the holidays. Because everyone will go "$2200 for just a few more inches!!??" and then just go with the 17inch.
Those big panels are costly! I think the price difference is justified.

redJag
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Hey.. my PowerMac G4 weights 42lbs... I move it from place to place... no problem as long as the handles don't break.
And they're well-placed, solid handles, at that!
Travis Sanderson

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2003, 07:35 AM

Larger screen will add to the weight, more dead weight will be added to the base for stability, the Arm might be larger? But the orginal was pretty solid and strong enough to support the weight of the imac is self as a handle in transport so I doubt they made any changes to the arm.

When you look at the iMac 20" Stats, its a very good price indead. Look at the price for the apple 20" Display on its own, compare that to the 17" on its own then look at the difference between the 17" and 20" iMac, it starts to make me wonder about the screens by themselfs as the price jump between them is alot higher then built in with the iMac.

But of course I would never buy a iMac. If I had bought a G4 Tower when the iMac came out, I could already have a 20" LCD with it, Super Drive, tripple the hard drive space and ram, better video card then the build to order option and upgraded the CPU for the same price as upgrading to a new iMac. Better then wasting a couple year old machine dont you think. Not alot of people can afford to buy a new Mac every few years. I'll always go the upgrade, expandability option over the iMac. But for those that wont touch the guts of there computer or def wont be upgrading for years then this new 20" is A SWEET DEAL and COOL
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules