Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Menubar-lings

Menubar-lings
max4ever
Aug 23, 2001, 04:25 PM

I have a question for users of 5g24. Does the menubar monitor resolution/color menu contain the same resolutions as the 10.0.4 dockling? On my cinema display, I mainly switch between hi-res (1600 x 1024), and low-res (640 x 480 stretched). Unfortunately, the dockling doesn't have the latter setting listed in it, so I must use System Prefs/Display pane to set to 640 x 480. It really wastes time and makes my display dockling half-useless. I'm hoping the new monitor menu has more settings. Does anyone know? Extreme thanks.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 23, 2001, 04:47 PM

Sorry, it still only shows the "Recommended" resolution settings, which doesn't include 640x480. You can, however, open the Displays Control Panel with it.

Can I ask a question? Why in God's name would you switch to 640x480 on a Cinema Display. The cursor must be about an inch wide! (I know some apps need it, but they usually switch it themselves)

<jethro>
Aug 23, 2001, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
<STRONG>Sorry, it still only shows the "Recommended" resolution settings, which doesn't include 640x480. You can, however, open the Displays Control Panel with it.
</STRONG>
Just an aside since Xeo already answered your question.

The *last* thing OS X needs is for a bunch of nancy boys to attach '-ling' to every possible function of the OS. The friggin' 'dockling' was bad enough and is thankfully dead now.

The proper term is *system menu* and while it's of dubious value to all but laptop users, that doesn't mean it should be marginalized into the land of the twee.

My apologies in advance to twee users and nancy boys everywhere for their hurt feelings.

<Hornet>
Aug 24, 2001, 03:10 AM

Correction - I see ALL res's from 640 to 1600 on my 17" Applevision (5f24).

Tip: try toggling the checkbox "recommended by monitor" turn it off, and I get 640x870 or some wierd **** (that I dont get otherwise)

That should do it...

BUT, I BET 10.1 will fix that. Just a bug till then

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2001, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by &lt;jethro&gt;:
<STRONG>

Just an aside since Xeo already answered your question.

The *last* thing OS X needs is for a bunch of nancy boys to attach '-ling' to every possible function of the OS. The friggin' 'dockling' was bad enough and is thankfully dead now.

The proper term is *system menu* and while it's of dubious value to all but laptop users, that doesn't mean it should be marginalized into the land of the twee.

My apologies in advance to twee users and nancy boys everywhere for their hurt feelings. </STRONG>
Go back to your troll box and don't come back until you find the spine to register.

vasu
Senior User
Aug 24, 2001, 03:20 PM

aren't the names Dock Extra and Menu Extra ?

-vasu

<jethro>
Aug 25, 2001, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
<STRONG>
Go back to your troll box and don't come back until you find the spine to register.</STRONG>
Yawn.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2001, 07:22 PM

Turn off recommeded for my monitor and you should get the option at5 least that works 4 me..

Also install dev tools and make your own switcher.... I should not be to hard.

Oh I also remembered AppleScript put a script in the dock that switches between the two resolutions.

Hope these ideas help

Cheers Edd

max4ever  (op)
Aug 25, 2001, 10:46 PM

Thanks for all the help. In response to Xeo, I use 640 x 480 on several old games I enjoy playing. Everything is absolutely huge, including the pixels, but my personal preference is big and lo-res (at least, for old games). And yes, several apps kindly switch it for themselves. In response to Hornet and edddeduck, I've tried unchecking "show recommended only", but to no avail. But thanks, edddeduck, for the added tips.

j3kyll
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2001, 10:52 PM

Download the "Menu-ling" that shows ALL resolutions here:

Displays Menu

View a screenshot of what this menu-ling looks like"

Displays Menu Screenshot

j3kyll
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.

<jethro>
Aug 26, 2001, 09:13 AM

What a bunch of pansies. If you guys can't use the proper terminology, don't bother posting.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2001, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by &lt;jethro&gt;:
<STRONG>What a bunch of pansies. If you guys can't use the proper terminology, don't bother posting.</STRONG>
Oh, I'm sure we're all scared by the insults of mr. big and unregistered.

the correct terminology as far as users are concerned should be "menu extra" and "dock extra", as these are what the enclosing folders have been called and therefore probably the names apple wants customers to hear. i'm not sure where the term "dockling" came from, but the process that controls them is called the DocklingServer so this is probably the apple developer name for them.

so it looks like you were wrong. get a life and stop insulting people for no good reason.

<pf5268>
Aug 26, 2001, 06:34 PM

The correct term is "Menu Extra" -- get it right.

Here is the first 3rd party Menu Extra that has been "released".
http://massinova.com/dockling/menu.sit

And pictures at:
http://massinova.com/macosx.html

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2001, 08:41 PM

I can't believe I'm the only person that thinks this is bordering on madness?

Now the Dock isn't good enough. Your general purpose, do anything, one size fits all, wonder of the modern GUI falls short? Surely not!

So we'll take some of these things, call them Menu Extras, and stick them in the menu bar.

Well blow me if my classic menu bar hasn't got five such things already (Timbuktu, QuicKeys, Printer selector, keyboard selector and app switcher), now it looks like the (not so) smart money is on putting all the items in the control strip (15 in my Classic setup) in the menu bar...

How about realising that the Control Strip was quite a good solution, could be hidden and moved around fairly easily.

Oh no, that would be "resitance to change" wouldn't it!?

Have you ever thought you're part of some giant experiment in futility?

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2001, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
<STRONG>

i'm not sure where the term "dockling" came from...</STRONG>
I think someone made it up.

The correct term is apparently "docklet".

<buon lavoro>
Aug 26, 2001, 09:03 PM

Clive, even I, Mr. "The Dock just needs some tweaking" thinks that menu extras could quickly get out of hand, and the idea of placing all these extra menus here is bordering on gluttony.

Personally, I think stuff like this could be done from the Apple menu, the original system menu in OS X, in a hierarchical list under the "System Preferences" selection.

<pf5268>
Aug 26, 2001, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Clive:
<STRONG>

I think someone made it up.

The correct term is apparently "docklet".</STRONG>
Wrong! Angus_D was right, the correct term is "Dock Extra" and "Menu Extra". "Dockling" is a developer term used by Apple as a joke, perhaps. "Docklet" (along with "Menubar-ling") were made up!

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2001, 11:39 PM

Yikes- Apple ought to at least have the nerve to realize (more fully - it's been done before) that the UI employed by a normal menu is not necessarily the best thing for these sorts of controls and status indicators.

For example, in the case of a screen menubarling (phtttbb!) a sheet in the near vicinity of the trigger with a better formatted set of controls - probably more like the controls in the Monitor system preference panel - would work far, far better.

As usual, I draw your attention to the MacOS volume control strip module - it used to be a menu from 0 - 7, then it became a slider, which was a remarkable improvement. I'm quite happy that we gave up menus that demanded a constant mousedown to remain open, now I just wish we'd take advantage of it. E.g. there may be some usefulness in placing a text-input field into a menu item for Find, so that for very simple queries one could find with less UI overhead, and for more complex ones, a regular dialog (if really necessary... feh) could be invoked from the same item. This is the kind of flexibility I mean here.

This isn't particularly new ground for Apple, and it's definately the direction to go. Why then the attempt to cram everything into the established drop down menu format... oh wait, I forgot - Apple's started to really get into cramming things lately.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2001, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by &lt;pf5268&gt;:
<STRONG>

Wrong! Angus_D was right, the correct term is "Dock Extra" and "Menu Extra". "Dockling" is a developer term used by Apple as a joke, perhaps. "Docklet" (along with "Menubar-ling") were made up!</STRONG>
Please cite a source.

Discussions here have shown that the accepted "generic" term is docklet, not dockling - Angus is of course right on the actual Apple names used (no argument there to start with).

Grammatically "Docklet" is a correct term, and "Dockling" incorrect. "-ling" suffixes usually apply to something that is "living", ie duckling, underling, foundling... and do not imply that such an item is a subset or component of something larger. "-let" implies inanimate items which are components or smaller versions of larger items.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2001, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by &lt;buon lavoro&gt;:
Clive, even I, Mr. "The Dock just needs some tweaking" thinks that menu extras could quickly get out of hand, and the idea of placing all these extra menus here is bordering on gluttony.

But isn't that so obvious that within five minutes of thinking of such a concept you'd realise what a stupid idea it was!?

I know, let's take all the items that were in the Apple menu and put them in the menu bar... that'll reduce "clutter"!

Personally, I think stuff like this could be done from the Apple menu, the original system menu in OS X, in a hierarchical list under the "System Preferences" selection.

That verges rather too close on reinstating the Apple Menu in full don't you think? Can't do that, we must have change!

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: Clive ]

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2001, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Clive:
<STRONG>Discussions here have shown that the accepted "generic" term is docklet, not dockling - Angus is of course right on the actual Apple names used (no argument there to start with).</STRONG>
There was an argument there to start with.

<STRONG>Please cite a source.</STRONG>
<font face = "courier">[localhost:~] finlayd% ps -caux | grep Dock
finlayd 284 0.0 1.0 38016 2000 ?? S 0:15.78 Dock
finlayd 285 0.0 0.2 37624 472 ?? S 0:05.98 DocklingServer</font>

max4ever  (op)
Aug 28, 2001, 11:14 PM

Thanks for all the information, but sorry I caused such a heated debate over the proper terminology for the items in the dock that control and monitor commonly used functions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules