Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod falling apart.

iPod falling apart.
alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 12:24 PM

The metal part of my ipod is separating from the white part.

Here is a picture of the problem: http://67.71.29.244/ipod.jpg
And a 17sec video of the problem:http://67.71.29.244/ipod.mov

I would like to send this into Apple to fix, but is it really going to cost me $100US? I bought it last November and don't have the Apple Care. Would it make sense to buy the Apple care now, before i send it in? Or can this be fixed without going through Apple.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 02:03 PM

You don't need Applecare. The limited warranty that came with your iPod (one year) will cover this. If the iPod is falling apart, that is a manufacturing defect, and that is their responsibility, not yours. Take it in. You might get a new iPod out of it!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by alex_wlu_82:

I would like to send this into Apple to fix, but is it really going to cost me $100US? I bought it last November and don't have the Apple Care. Would it make sense to buy the Apple care now, before i send it in? Or can this be fixed without going through Apple.
Don't hesitate to contact Apple about it. I had to have my first iPod replaced under warranty, and it was quick and painless. From what you say, yours is still under warranty.

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by mo:
Don't hesitate to contact Apple about it. I had to have my first iPod replaced under warranty, and it was quick and painless. From what you say, yours is still under warranty.
Thanks guys.. I will contact Apple - Is there a number out there for Apple Support? I can't find it in my iPod Docs or the Apple Support Page, unless they've buried it

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2004, 03:50 PM

Thanks guys.. I will contact Apple - Is there a number out there for Apple Support? I can't find it in my iPod Docs or the Apple Support Page, unless they've buried it
Here's what I used:

http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

But it was a battery problem and didn't require much explanation. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you should call this number:

1-800-MY-APPLE

And follow the menu instructions to speak to a customer service person.

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by mo:
Here's what I used:

http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

But it was a battery problem and didn't require much explanation. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you should call this number:

1-800-MY-APPLE

And follow the menu instructions to speak to a customer service person.
Right, called that and got this: 1-800-263-3394 in case anyone else needs it

wedgewood
Aug 10, 2004, 06:24 PM

My previous 3G ipod had the same problem. I went to Apple store near my apartment. The genius looked over the ipod and exchanged a new ipod. He told me the crack is very common problem for iPod. The policy for the defect is to replace a new one.
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 01:30 AM

I thought 1-800-MY-APPL was for sales, etc... And 1-800-SOS-APPL was for service/warranty issues.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 11:30 AM

A friend of mine has exactly the same problem with his iPod (40GB 3G) and he sent it in a week ago and he's now awaiting an answer from Apple, they'll probably cover it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 12:11 PM

If you hold the ipod with the face toward you, is the metal back slipping down (away from you) or is it slipping to the right?

If it's slipping down, I got nothing. If it's coming apart toward the right, you can do this to fix it in a jiffy. Take a guitar pick, or something similar and stick it into the slit and run it along the opening. It snaps right back in place.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 02:49 PM

Same thing happened with my 2nd gen, except it was after I dropped it twice from like 5-6 ft (my locker) :-(

alex_wlu_82  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
If you hold the ipod with the face toward you, is the metal back slipping down (away from you) or is it slipping to the right?

If it's slipping down, I got nothing. If it's coming apart toward the right, you can do this to fix it in a jiffy. Take a guitar pick, or something similar and stick it into the slit and run it along the opening. It snaps right back in place.
it's slipping to the right (looking at the ipod straight on you can see a bulge in the right side). I ended up buying the apple care for $71CAN instead of paying 50$ to ship it w/o the plan. $21 for an extra year of support isn't too bad.

There isn't enough room for a pick to go perpendicular to the ipod's side or parallel, plus I don't want to risk damaging it further and it not being covered by the plan. Thanks for the advice nonetheless.

kschulhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 08:43 PM

Based on your photo and video, this is exactly what has happened to me twice after accidentally putting my Timbuk2 wallet/iPod case in my back pocket and then forgetting about it and sitting down in my car. Ouch! The case is basically expanding and thus separating from the top section. I was able to just squeeze the metal sidewall and it snapped back into place (sometimes it took me many tries to find the right spot to squeeze).

Perhaps you dropped it or did something like I did. That's what I get for wanting to consolidate my iPod case and wallet.

Hope this helps!

--Kschulhu

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2004, 02:57 PM

it's slipping to the right (looking at the ipod straight on you can see a bulge in the right side). I ended up buying the apple care for $71CAN instead of paying 50$ to ship it w/o the plan. $21 for an extra year of support isn't too bad.

There isn't enough room for a pick to go perpendicular to the ipod's side or parallel, plus I don't want to risk damaging it further and it not being covered by the plan. Thanks for the advice nonetheless.
Well, I was skeptical as well, but I was shocked at how easy it was. You barely have to stick the thing in. I was pretty annoyed that my brand new iPod was already coming apart, but a little searching dug up this trick and after one quick swipe it popped right in and has been fine for months.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Forum Links
Forum Rules