Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cheap Firewire Hard Drives

Cheap Firewire Hard Drives
MaxMac
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2001, 01:48 PM

Has anyone heard of these guys? http://www.basoncomputer.com/productlist.asp?004117615 I am willing to take a shot since the price is so good, but I would like to know more about them. Anyone?
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

Cowdog
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 09:53 PM

Boy they sure don't know how to compress images for the web, but those are some good prices. 450k scaled down to 320 x 240?

I want an external dvd drive and their enclosures are so cheap compared to what else I've seen that I might just buy a fw enclosure and stick a dvd drive in as I can't seem to find any non pcmcia external dvd drives..
moof. home of the quintuple edit.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2001, 05:24 AM

You're right - the price seems really good - haven't seen these here in Australia yet. If you do purchase pls post your opinions - cutting edge and all that....

cheers

Simon
this sig intentionally left blank

MaxMac  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2001, 07:06 AM

I plan to post pics (back & bottom), and how setup goes. I will try to measure transfer rate and power consumption if possible. I should recieve it today.

babywriter
Aug 11, 2001, 12:34 AM

For those of us near a CompUSA, they sell an external Firewire enclosure by ADS Technologies...it's called PYRO, and the going price is $99. I have one and it works great.

I have my CDRW in it now, but a third party DVD drive worked great too. Installation is easy and takes about 15 minutes.

- KAI

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2001, 09:21 PM

I'm looking to get a large capacity external firewire drive, and just saw these guys linked from dealnn.com
http://www.caldrives.com/SALE.HTML

Has anyone here bought drives from them before? Any caveats?

cejones
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 04:37 PM

Their prices look suspiciously low... but on the other hand, if you buy an external firewire case and throw in a IDE harddrive... their prices are about on par with that.

One thing that bothers me is that they state they sell an 80GB 7200 rpm drive. I am only aware of Maxtor making an 80 GB IDE drive... and it is definitely only 5400rpm...

most likely the firewire to IDE bridge is the cheap old version... not the newest version from Oxford...

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2001, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by cejones:
<STRONG>Their prices look suspiciously low... but on the other hand, if you buy an external firewire case and throw in a IDE harddrive... their prices are about on par with that.

One thing that bothers me is that they state they sell an 80GB 7200 rpm drive. I am only aware of Maxtor making an 80 GB IDE drive... and it is definitely only 5400rpm...

most likely the firewire to IDE bridge is the cheap old version... not the newest version from Oxford...</STRONG>
Western Digital makes an 80GB 7200 RPM drive (in the new Macs, I think) and if talking about the caldrives, I saw the had the 911 chip (at dealmac.com, maybe?).

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2001, 02:48 AM

Hey, this is crap!. This post was on here months ago. Someone is recycling them to make it appear like there are more people posting on this site. I wonder if the advertisers know about this.

PeteWK

MaxMac  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2001, 07:02 AM

Well, since I posted it, and I only did it a couple weeks ago, I must disagree!

Forum Links
Forum Rules