Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > anyone use other browsers rather than safari ?

anyone use other browsers rather than safari ?
david_copperfield
Aug 21, 2005, 01:07 AM

anyone use other browsers rather than safari ?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2005, 01:10 AM

Do a search.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 21, 2005, 01:12 AM

There are other browsers?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2005, 05:31 AM

I like iCab and OmniWeb

The thing I don't like about Safari is its nameā€¦ 'Safari'

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2005, 05:34 AM

I do!

kick52
Baninated
Aug 21, 2005, 05:42 AM

its name doesnt really matter

Cold Warrior
Aug 21, 2005, 01:20 PM

we all use what apple provides, no questions asked.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2005, 01:26 PM

The opposite of yes.

kick52
Baninated
Aug 21, 2005, 03:03 PM

if you didnt want to download other browsers, the choice would be Safari.

Internet Exploder is crap.

bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2005, 05:02 PM

Hey david_copperfield

I use FireFox with 10.3.9 on a Pismo 400. Never had any problems with it.

Have Fun!!!

Brad
Pismo 400 OS X 10.3.9, SuperDrive, 1gb Mem, 80gb HD.
New GREEN 6gb Mini!!! 1gb Shuffle, and 30gb iPod.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 21, 2005, 07:41 PM

Ok, I've decided to chime in this thread once again and offer a bit of advice, commentary.

To answer the initial question while removing my tongue from my cheekyness:

- Safari (Number One Browser for me)
- IE (I have it, but should remove that piece of trash good for nothing browser, because it is never used)
- Firefox (Decent browser, but I do enjoy the tabs more in Safari and Firefox feels clunky)
- Operah (Just don't really use it, but like it just the same as Firefox)

Internet Explorer: Final Word on this pile of downloaed dung. It does not comply with W3C Standards and this is the reason why all PC / Windows Users are viewing the web through coke-bottle glasses. How on earth Microsoft can handicap it's users is beyond normal thinking. What I find particululary appauling is how banks and other web site designs comply to the IE quirckyiness instead of the W3C standards, causing, no forcing people to use IE at times. Why is this? Who knows. Call up your conspiracy theories, I just think it's more thinking like from some of the recent trolls in here, touting MS and denouncing Open Source Codes. It's that sort of degenerate and failure centric thinking which has kept the banking industry and the entire PC/WIndows Using world retarded where growth is concerned. It's a monopolistic view MS has, and they have become their own worst enemy. Thankfully OS X had come out and there is a bright and shining light in the world of computing once again!

Hmmm. That was a bit of a run-on... Hey, I am a purest after all.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 09:01 PM

I use Camino

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 09:32 AM

No.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2005, 11:39 AM

I use Firefox. It came out of need for a more advanced browser. I'm still running on 10.2.8 (I haven't had the money to upgrade yet) Since the newer version of Safari wouldn't run, I had found myself going to Firefox. I like it a bit better as it is.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

delete
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2005, 03:31 PM

I used Firefox for years but during a recent travel booking session I found it didn't like a few sites but Safari worked right away. So I kept with Safari to check it out again and found that the speed was about the same, I like the widgets a lot more than FF (w/ Firefoxy) and I also think the type renders better. Seems a bit tighter than FF (subjective typographer). The only weird thing I've noticed is the eventual slowdown of Safari if I've had it open for a while. But I just quit & re-open and all is well.

david_copperfield  (op)
Aug 22, 2005, 09:29 PM

obviously, both firefox and safari are your favourite choices. but safari does crash with some programs on tiger sometimes.

my personal choice is opera.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 22, 2005, 09:58 PM

I use OmniWeb. Until they change the code to use Safari's Webkit, instead of their own modified version, it runs a little slower than Safari. But the features it offers blows Safari's out of the water. And once the code is switched to the standard Webkit, it will be just as fast, if not faster.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2005, 10:16 PM

Have Omni announced any intention to use the same version of WebKit that Safari does?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2005, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by delete
The only weird thing I've noticed is the eventual slowdown of Safari if I've had it open for a while.
Glad to hear (in a misery-loves-company sort of way) that someone else has this problem w/Safari. Why does it do that? I like to have 3, 4, maybe 5 windows open at a time and thought that was causing it... Closing & reopening clears it up but kinda breaks the flow...

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 11:28 PM

Firefox is my choice #1. The big reason is extensions - the number of extension enhancements available for Firefox grows everyday and finding the right ones for you can speed up your browsing very significantly. With the handfull of extensions I have installed, Firefox just has too many key features that Safari or any other browser I've tried can touch.

delete
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2005, 11:50 PM

One thing I've really gotten used to is the way Pith Helmet works with Safari. I used the Flashblock extension in FF which works fine, but I never liked the F-box it puts where the Flash goes. PH just acts like it was never there. Very clean.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2005, 01:33 AM

I use a Japanese browser, Shiira. It's very fast and stable. Highly recommended.

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Have Omni announced any intention to use the same version of WebKit that Safari does?
Yes, they have. They said work had already started on the switch but that it'd be a slow process. I'm not sure if this will be some sort of 5.X upgrade or part of a brand new version.
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 23, 2005, 03:46 AM

Until recently I used Omniweb and have done so for some two years, but recently I switched to safari (Tiger) simply because it's so much faster. Have to say though I miss OW's features a lot It's simply an amazing browser and will switch back to it once it uses Safari's engine! So, Omni, hurry up :-D

JMII
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2005, 11:18 AM

I use FireFox mainly because I'm an old Netscape fan. I like the tabs in FireFox better then Safari, however my wife prefers Safari so go figure. I still keep a copy of IE on my hard drive for the odd site the refuses to work correctly with anything else.

voo
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2005, 12:17 PM

It's a shame Firefox doesn't use metal windows, it feels somewhat tacky with aqua windows.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by voo
It's a shame Firefox doesn't use metal windows, it feels somewhat tacky with aqua windows.
I think Safari being metal is tacky, but if you insist on tackifying Firefox too, try the "Brushed" theme available here.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by krx
Glad to hear (in a misery-loves-company sort of way) that someone else has this problem w/Safari. Why does it do that? I like to have 3, 4, maybe 5 windows open at a time and thought that was causing it... Closing & reopening clears it up but kinda breaks the flow...
I don't see that problem. Safari does like to leak memory, and if I were a betting man I would say you likely don't have a lot of RAM.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
If I were a betting man I would say you likely don't have a lot of RAM.
You would have won that bet: 256 MB, soon to be 1.25 GB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules