Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Pages - how to autofill a table column with a count?

Pages - how to autofill a table column with a count?
opsotta
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 08:40 AM

In OpenOffice and in Excel it is possible to quickly autofill a column with a count. To do this you would enter 1 in the top cell, pull the cell frame down by clicking on the tiny plus-sign
at the frame. And voila - you get an increasing count from 1 to 100 for example.

This does not work in Pages, I also couldn't find any information how to do this. Apple has
a good help, it even talks about an autofill function. But it has different features.

Did anyone get this to work? This is an important basic function. Please help! Thanks.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Feb 7, 2006, 01:46 PM

In some applications, you have to write the starting number in the first row (lets assume that is cell A1), then enter "=A1+1" in cell A2 and then autofill from cell A2 to all the other cells in the column.

I don't have iWork '06, so I cannot check if this works there, too.

opsotta  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 02:42 PM

Excellent, this works! Though it is not an Apple-like solution. In OOo and in Excel you don't need to enter a formula. Thanks a lot!

You live and learn. At any rate, you live.

Forum Links
Forum Rules