Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 450 Cube won't print to Epson 777 printer via keyboard

450 Cube won't print to Epson 777 printer via keyboard
chicken_tastes_good
Mar 29, 2001, 04:12 PM

I've got a 450 Cube, OS 9.1, 384MB Ram, and I just bought a Epson 777 printer. I have the printer hooked to the xtra usb port on the Cube keyboard and... I can't make it print.

If I plug the printer into the bottom of the cube (and unplug the smooth speakers) it prints normally. Is my keyboard flawed? Do I have a bad USB cable? I have a RevA iMac and an epson 740 printer as well, and the same setup works flawlessly with them. Has anyone else had this problem?
The empty can rattles the loudest

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2001, 01:40 PM

It is reccomended to not plug in high power devices (printers, scanners, disk drives, etc.) into USB hubs that are not powered (do no have their own AC adapter). The keyboard is not powered, and therefore doesn't provide enough juice to printer to make it work correctly. You have two options. Plug the printer into the USB port on the bottom of the Cube, or buy a powered USB hub and plug it into there.

Hope this helps.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

chicken_tastes_good  (op)
Mar 30, 2001, 02:25 PM

Hrm, well, it works off my iMac keyboard, but I guess that the external hub is my only course of action. I knew that the keyboard won't supply adequate bus power, but, the printer isn't bus powered, so I figured it ought to work (past experience backing that up). I was just looking for confirmation either way, so..
Thank you
The empty can rattles the loudest

Forum Links
Forum Rules