Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail 10.2.3 outgoing server

Mail 10.2.3 outgoing server
kmac
Jul 25, 2008, 08:23 AM

We have the mail version that came with OS X 10.2.3 (can't remember what breed of cat that is)
That's Mail 1.2.5 (V553) - ok it's old!.
I recently set up our account preferences but screwed up on the outgoing mail server on the first couple of tries.
After it didn't work I deleted that account and started again.
Trouble is -"Mail" kept those servers on file so there are about five of them in there - The correct one is mail.earthlink.net, but there is also smtpauth.earthlink.net, and about three others. No matter what I do it won't retain the correct one as it's first choice when sending mail. It tries one that does not work then asks if I want to try the next one. I have to pick mail.earthlink.net out of the list then it will send the mail.
How do I clear the list of the incorrect servers? As I mentioned, removing the account and starting a new one only compounds the problem ! ARRRRGGGHH!
Kent

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 10:02 AM

When you go to Mail-->Preferences--> Accounts, there should be a section for outgoing mail server. Is it a pop-up menu? If so, is there a command called "Edit server list"? Try selecting that to see if you can delete the old servers. (I'm on Mail 3.4 with Leopard).
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

kmac  (op)
Jul 25, 2008, 10:17 AM

Not on this thing.
There's the pop up list, but no "edit servers" option. Just an "add server" option....which is about the last thing I want to do!
Thanks for trying.

wrambro
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2008, 12:48 PM

Sorry, can't help with your mail problem, but I can tell you that 10.2 was Jaguar

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2008, 02:41 PM

Upgrade at least to Panther unless you're dealing with a really old G3. Jaguar was good for its time but Panther is far better.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules