Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Getting iPhoto Installed from OS 10.2 Disc After Tiger 10.4.11 Upgrade

Getting iPhoto Installed from OS 10.2 Disc After Tiger 10.4.11 Upgrade
kmac
Apr 8, 2009, 08:25 AM

We have an imac 800mhz PowerPC G4, 17-inch Flat Panel OS X version 10.2.8.

I just upgraded the Ram to 768MB (which is the max I can get into this thing, without getting inside it).

I found a basic install DVD for Tiger 10.4 that will upgrade to 10.4.11 but it does not come with iphoto.

Can someone tell me if i can use (extract) iphoto from the install CD's that came with my original imac for Os x 10.2? Or would I be better off trying to find a newer version to go with Tiger.....maybe ilife?

I also must say that iphoto is not my favorite ap! Besides getting clogged up after a few dozen photos, when you go to back up photos to a CD or thumb drive, there are a bunch of folders to go through before you actually find the real image. If there's a better image ap that works more like one I'd have on my PC then I'm open to suggestions!
Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 8, 2009, 08:45 AM

I edited your title to be more specific to your question.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2009, 09:23 AM

A couple of points:

1. iPhoto is part of iLife, which comes with new machines. It does NOT come with the operating system (thought the first version used to, years ago).

2. DO NOT mess with the original folders on your disk if you work with iPhoto.

3. I repeat: LEAVE THAT FOLDER THE **** ALONE.

*ahem*

Sorry.

4. If you want to back up images to a disk in a format readable to anybody else, drag them directly from iPhoto into a folder, which you then burn.

iPhoto itself has been capable of burning its own backup DVDs for a couple of years now.

5. Whichever version of iPhoto came with your machine is GLACIALLY slow compared with later versions, ESPECIALLY when handling more than a few hundred images.

Try to get a hold of an iLife '06 or '08 install disk; that should be a world of difference.

6. You can get the original non-OS software that came with your Mac off the Install disks - if you insert either disk 1 or disk 2, one of them should contain a package installer named "install additional software" or some such. This is where.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2009, 12:23 AM

iLife 08 has iPhoto version 7, while you are probably using iPhoto version 2 if you got it from the 10.2 disk. After iPhoto version 4, the program was upgraded to be able to handle more and more photos faster and many bugs have been fixed. iPhoto version 7 (the one in iLife 08) can easily handle more than 10,000 photos and it's very fast. The problems you mention are gone. It also has a convenient backup command that creates DVD (or CD) backups of the photos, the full resolution files, without you having to even worry about finding their folders. And if you were to go above 20,000 photos and want to optimize performance, the newer versions allow easy creation of multiple photo libraries, but I think it would handle 20,000 photos easily anyway.

With your older Mac, you probably won't be able to use the version of iMovie in iLife 08. This is all explained on the iLife 08 box, but for me, the price was worth it just for iPhoto. Also, I got it at an educational discount and ended up paying only $39, but even at $79 it is worth it. Since there is a more recent version now, Apple no longer sells iLife 08, but you can find it for sale at numerous companies that sell older versions of such software.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules