Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox Flash Player

Firefox Flash Player
kmac
May 11, 2009, 07:51 AM

I have an
imac 800mhz PowerPC G4, 768 MB RAM,
17-inch Flat Panel
OS X version 10.2.8

I recently reinstalled the OS and after I did, flash applications (Youtube, news clips etc.) stopped working.
So I downloaded & installed Firefox 2.0.0.20.
Flash player 10 won't work on OS X 10.2 but I finally found a way to download Flash 9 which is supposed to (everything worked fine before the re-install) but after downloading & "unpacking it" Flash applications still won't run.
Two things I did wrong that are messing things up:
Somewhere along the line I set up the preferences for flash player to open with Firefox so when I try to download and install it from the web site, it installs but then Firefox opens up and just blinks.
Somewhere I also set it up so when I go to the Flash Player 9 folder and click on Flash player plugin - it tries to open with Word.
Since I clearly don't know what the hell I'm doing - can someone tell me how to un-do the preferences? Or clear them to start over again? Trashing Flash player and trying again does not change the way I set things up.
Thanks,
Dumass

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2009, 12:55 PM

You should be running at least Panther (10.3) on that iMac, if not 10.4. It sounds like you installed things properly, though.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 12, 2009, 10:13 PM

Yes, get 10.4, stat.

kmac  (op)
May 28, 2009, 11:39 AM

FYI:
I found the answer if anyone has the same problem.
Here it is - plus the link to where i found it:

Go to HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder and delete "Flash Player.plugin" as well as "flashplayer.xpt".

Download dmg file from Adobe site and save to disc. Quit any browsers you have open. Double click on dmg file. that opens a folder which contains "Flash Player.plugin" and "flashplayer.xpt" ... drag both into the Internet Plug-Ins folder. Do a restart and you should be in business!
Here's the link:
Installing adobe flash 9 on mac
K

Originally Posted by kmac View Post
I have an
imac 800mhz PowerPC G4, 768 MB RAM,
17-inch Flat Panel
OS X version 10.2.8

I recently reinstalled the OS and after I did, flash applications (Youtube, news clips etc.) stopped working.
So I downloaded & installed Firefox 2.0.0.20.
Flash player 10 won't work on OS X 10.2 but I finally found a way to download Flash 9 which is supposed to (everything worked fine before the re-install) but after downloading & "unpacking it" Flash applications still won't run.
Two things I did wrong that are messing things up:
Somewhere along the line I set up the preferences for flash player to open with Firefox so when I try to download and install it from the web site, it installs but then Firefox opens up and just blinks.
Somewhere I also set it up so when I go to the Flash Player 9 folder and click on Flash player plugin - it tries to open with Word.
Since I clearly don't know what the hell I'm doing - can someone tell me how to un-do the preferences? Or clear them to start over again? Trashing Flash player and trying again does not change the way I set things up.
Thanks,
Dumass

Forum Links
Forum Rules