Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MUSIC CDRs...WONT play in my iceBook..HELP!!!

MUSIC CDRs...WONT play in my iceBook..HELP!!!
Drumkat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2001, 08:20 PM

I do recording and I have an icebook 2001. I burn my original music on a stand alone CD burner similar to a Philips CD dubing machine. I then take the "MUSIC CDR" and put it in my ibook to rip it and make copies using toast. No matter what program I use, nothing reads the disc (I have about 6 music players too and they wont even play them) My old iMac did fine but I just sold it. It reads CDRs fine just not the "MUSIC" CDRs. Unfortuantely I have to use them on the dubing machine.

Anyone give me ANY help on this one?????

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 21, 2001, 10:50 PM

In order for a music CD-ROM to work, it usually has to be "closed." Not all burning software does that automatically. Check the settings on your software to make sure it does "close" the disc.

Closing the disk involves writing the final directory information to a specific physical address on the disc. Data discs may not need to be closed because the UDF file format they use is built to handle incomplete volumes like a CD that you have left open for more writing later. Music CD players don't work that way.

Good luck,
Glenn
Remembering 9-11-01

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

zjokke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2001, 10:06 AM

Check if you really wrote an audio-cd instead of a data-cd. You can write AIFF files to a data disk(Mac files and folders or ISO 9660 or...), this way it looks like you wrote your CD like you should, but it is not in the right format. It looks obvious, but including myself, everybody I know made this mistake at least once.
=:-)
zjokke
=:-)

Drumkat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2001, 11:26 AM

ok, maybe I wasnt being very clear on what I am doing. I'm not burning a data disc on the iBook, I useing a stand alone CD dublicator similar to a Philips (looks like a dual casset deck only its a CD deck)

All these CDs that I duplicate play fine in ALL my CD players EXCEPT the iBook 2001. I try ripping them and all I get is a error -17 (I dont know what that is.)

Now I've tried a few diffrent media and I can get Maxells music CDRs to rip except for the first track. Memorex, I can get a couple after track 5 to rip, TDK-none

The Icebook has no problem ripping regular CDRs just not "MUSIC CDRs" and i must use those with the duplicator. (unfortuantely the duplicator will not copy a copy either so I'm screwed on both ends)

"music CDRs" are encoded so that they work with these consumer decks. I'm sure that has something to do with it BUT my old iMac reads them just like any other CD....but now its gone.

Help!!!!!
More important to learn how to play music or program a computer than to tackle a halfback

Drumkat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2001, 11:58 PM

Ok, I was playing around with this today, I think Apple put a disabler in the system software. Since Legislation has changed recently about "Rip, Mix, and Burn".
Do you think they put something in that prohibits "MUSIC CDRs" from being copied????

HELP!
More important to learn how to play music or program a computer than to tackle a halfback

Forum Links
Forum Rules