Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > There's fewer Mexican rapists inside our borders now

There's fewer Mexican rapists inside our borders now
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2017, 07:34 PM

Arizona mom at center of immigration fight has been deported, attorney says
A Mesa mother suddenly at the epicenter of the national debate over immigration enforcement has been deported, her attorney announced Thursday morning.
Garcia de Rayos, 36, was taken into custody Wednesday afternoon during a routine check-in at the Phoenix ICE offices. For four years, federal immigration authorities had given her a pass to remain in the U.S. rather than deport her back to Mexico.

He said as a precaution he then handed the ICE official a form requesting that ICE grant her a stay of deportation "just in case." About 45 minutes later ICE officials informed Garcia de Rayos that she was being taken into custody, Ybarra-Maldonado said.

The attorney said he asked if that decision was the result of Trump's executive order, but the ICE official did not respond. He said ICE officials also did not provide an explanation of why they denied his request that her deportation be stayed.
In 2008, Garcia de Rayos was swept up in one of former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's work-site raids targeting the Golfland Entertainment Centers, which operated several water and mini-golf parks.

Sheriff's deputies seized hundreds of employment records and later arrested Garcia de Rayos at her house in Mesa. She pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal impersonation, a Class 6 felony, the lowest level.

As a result of the charge, Garcia de Rayos was turned over to ICE, Ybarra-Maldonado said. She spent six months in ICE custody at the Eloy Detention Center, he said.

In 2013, an immigration judge found Garcia de Rayos had no legal stance to remain in the U.S. and issued a voluntary departure instructing her to leave the country, Ybarra-Maldonado said.

After Garcia de Rayos appealed, ICE gave her an order of supervision instructing her to check in yearly, and then every six months, Ybarra-Maldonado said.
Ybarra-Maldonado immediately filed documents asking ICE to stay her deportation, on the grounds that she has lived in the U.S. since she was 14, has two children who are U.S. citizens, and she is fighting to have her felony conviction thrown out on the grounds that Arpaio's work-site raids were unconstitutional.

He also pointed out that she had been just a few months too old to apply for Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program granting deportation deferments and work permits to undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children.
I can't think of anyone more deserving to be deported immediately.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2017, 02:09 PM

No comments? No thinks she does or doesn't deserve it?

Or with all the other shit happening we're all out of ****s to give?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2017, 02:24 PM

As someone who thinks we should encourage immigration, I'm resigned to my team having lost.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2017, 02:36 PM

Why on earth would you deport someone who has lived here since the age of 14 and who has two children who are US citizens? Is it really that serious?

OAW

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 10, 2017, 02:45 PM

I wish I knew more about the immigration process so I could understand more about the barriers someone like this faces to getting naturalized. Is it too expensive? Too time consuming? Impossible without an employer willing to sponsor?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2017, 02:48 PM

My general understanding is at a minimum, the person would have to leave first.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I wish I knew more about the immigration process so I could understand more about the barriers someone like this faces to getting naturalized. Is it too expensive? Too time consuming? Impossible without an employer willing to sponsor?
I know very little but in general it's tough and time consuming. For her specific case I thinks it nigh impossible, made worse by her felony conviction for working under false pretenses.

It's worth noting she's 'been' an American longer than Mexican. She's been here 20 damn years.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
As someone who thinks we should encourage immigration, I'm resigned to my team having lost.
As in this election or over all? Because just yesterday there was talk about reviving the gang of 8 stuff.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2017, 03:49 PM

This election.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2017, 03:52 PM

I do have to say, as a matter of logistics, cost, and priority this case is completely confusing. Like, on a scale of 1 - 10, I'd say the urgency of her deportation can't be higher than a 2 or 3. I figure these things are going down not on merit but to send a message. It's pretty gross.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2017, 03:56 PM

At the least, it's a real Judge Dredd way to play it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2017, 04:13 PM

I don't know enough about Ms de Rayos to be outraged. On numerous occasions she could have filed for a green card but didn't, even up to the day she was arrested for impersonating someone else.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 10, 2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
On numerous occasions she could have filed for a green card but didn't
Under which program? I browsed this site:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gre...rd-eligibility

and this one:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/oth...get-green-card

But nothing popped out at me.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2017, 04:38 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferr...dhood_Arrivals

She likely qualified for the DACA, since she was <16 when she arrived, provided she had a HS diploma or GED. They even allowed people to get their GED while their application was processed.

However, the fundamental point is, she doesn't have a right to be here. We're the only country in the world that is simply expected to take in virtually anyone and that's partly why our social services are buckling.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2017, 05:06 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferr...dhood_Arrivals

She likely qualified for the DACA, since she was <16 when she arrived, provided she had a HS diploma or GED. They even allowed people to get their GED while their application was processed.
Not only did you not read the article, you didn't even read Dakar's TL;DR.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2017, 08:25 PM

This election.
I feel like if the ACA stuff is any indication, loud opposition could at the very least curb their actions.

On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past the administration to try and recreate Operation Wetback.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2017, 08:45 PM

The playing field is different. There's already a framework to crack down on immigration, it's merely a question of the executive branch exercising it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2017, 08:54 PM

The playing field is different. There's already a framework to crack down on immigration, it's merely a question of the executive branch exercising it.
I think that's a fair assessment. But I also think they'd tire of getting dogged about it. Perhaps opponents will come up with clever ways to make it more cumbersome to execute.

---

On topic, another reason why I was galled – I've frequently heard how we catch and release illegals that are caught by the police because I guess deportation it too difficult, expensive, etc. yet this woman got deported in less than a day.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2017, 04:13 AM

Not only did you not read the article, you didn't even read Dakar's TL;DR.
That's not a rebuttal.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2017, 12:34 PM

Article Title: Cruise ship passengers drowned when the cruise ship sank

Article content: The passengers found that the ship had no lifeboats.

You: They should have gotten on a lifeboat.

Me: You didn't read the article.

You:
That's not a rebuttal.
Up next: Deflect deflect deflect, name calling, condescension. NEVER admit a mistake.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2017, 03:18 AM

Deflect deflect
You just did.

name calling, condescension.
Your specialties, the latter especially. It's the air you breathe.

NEVER admit a mistake.
I did quite recently, can't remember you ever doing it. This time I wasn't.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2017, 10:47 AM

Up next: Deflect deflect deflect, name calling, condescension. NEVER admit a mistake.
Called it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2017, 01:02 AM

Exclusive: U.S. arrests Mexican immigrant in Seattle covered by Obama program | Reuters

https://twitter.com/cathleendecker/s...80838265774080
Paul Ryan 1 mo ago: "But if you're worried about...some deportation force coming, knocking on your door this year, don't worry about that."

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2017, 03:16 AM

Called it.
Not even close, it's just your own projections.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2017, 11:00 AM

Called it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2017, 03:57 PM

With all the terrible stories I'm reading in the following days it sounds like someone took ICE of the leash. I'm curious how this is funded, however. I can't imagine they're budgeted for this type of aggressiveness.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2017, 04:01 AM

Called it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2017, 12:19 AM

Trump puts tougher immigration policy in motion - POLITICO
The official pushed back against the idea that the new policies would allow for mass deportations. “We don’t need a sense of panic,” the official said. “We’re simply executing the laws that are passed by the United States Congress.”

The DHS "doesn't have the resources to go into communities and start rounding people up. That's entirely a fiction of folks' imagination," the official added.
DHS to get extra funding in 3... 2... 1...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2017, 10:13 PM

Uh, some conflicting stories...

Trump: Removal of undocumented immigrants is ‘military operation’ - POLITICO
“You see what’s happening at the border, all of the sudden for the first time, we’re getting gang members out, we’re getting drug lords out, we’re getting really bad dudes out of this country,” Trump said at a meeting with manufacturing CEOs. “And at a rate that nobody’s ever seen before, and they’re the bad ones, and it’s a military operation because that has been allowed to come into our country. And you see gang violence that you’ve read about like never before, all of the things, much of that is people that are here illegally. And they’re rough and they’re tough but they’re not tough like our people.”
Yes, gang members like the woman in OP, or the other that had a brain tumor. The worst scum.

DHS chief softens Trump&#39;s talk on immigration - POLITICO
“There will be no — repeat — no mass deportations. Everything we do in DHS will be done legally and according to human rights and the legal justice system of the United States,” Kelly said Thursday at a joint press conference in Mexico City with Tillerson and Mexican officials.

“And again, listen to this. No — repeat — no use of military force in immigration operations. None,” he added. “At least half of you try to get that right because it continually comes up in the reporting.”
Unless mass deportations are illegal, His second sentence seems to have no relation to the first.

So, who do you guys believe? Is mass deportations merely a semantic term?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2017, 10:15 PM

History repeats itself: An underground network is readying homes to hide immigrants - CNN.com

This is what things are coming to.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2017, 01:04 PM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2017, 09:58 PM

8 years Vs. 8 weeks. As we keep hearing, give him time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2017, 10:55 AM

Turning that around. The Left is freaking out without even seeing what the administration will do. This is past the point of the little boy crying "wolf", as with so many other things, the vast majority is becoming numb to the mudslinging and overreactions.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2017, 05:40 PM

It has worried me for some time that that will happen. There is no way the required levels of outrage can be maintained for four years. Even two would be an achievement.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2017, 12:26 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/u...-pacheco.html?
“I think people need to do things the right way, follow the rules and obey the laws, and I firmly believe in that,” said Lori Barron, the owner of Lori’s Hair A’Fairs, a beauty salon. “But in the case of Carlos, I think he may have done more for the people here than this place has ever given him. I think it’s absolutely terrible that he could be taken away.”
The letters have piled up — from the county prosecutor, the former postmaster, the car dealer, the Rotary Club president. In his note, Richard Glodich, the athletic director at Frankfort Community High School, wrote, “As a grandson of immigrants, I am all for immigration reform, but this time you have arrested a GOOD MAN that should be used as a role model for other immigrants.”
“I knew he was Mexican, but he’s been here so long, he’s just one of us,” said Debra Johnson, a resident. She said she saw a distinction between “people who come over and use the system and people who actually come and help.”
Tim Grigsby, who owns a local printing shop and considers Mr. Hernandez one of his closest friends, has been helping to lead the efforts to bring Mr. Hernandez back to West Frankfort. …
Mr. Grigsby said he still would vote for Mr. Trump. One never agrees with everything a politician does, “but maybe this should all be more on a per-case basis,” he said. “It’s hard to be black and white on this because there may be people like Carlos.”
tl;dr people upset when something they voted for actually impacts them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2017, 11:01 AM

"I never thought bears would eat my face," says someone who voted for the "Bears Eating Faces" party.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2017, 02:35 PM

The bears were only supposed to eat the faces of Democrats they don't know.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2017, 08:12 PM

Chicago cardinal takes stand on immigration enforcement - San Francisco Chronicle
The Roman Catholic archdiocese in Chicago told its schools this week not to let federal immigration agents into their buildings without a warrant, in step with guidance given to hundreds of Chicago public schools last week in response to President Donald Trump's efforts to crack down on illegal immigration.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2017, 03:48 PM

He's waaaaay too late, he should have started w/ Obama, the true master of mass deportation.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2017, 11:22 AM

Is there a specific reason you keep deflecting back to Obama instead of discussing the unprecedented actions going on right now? Do you believe fewer illegal immigrants will be deported under Trump than were under Obama?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2017, 11:37 AM

Because they aren't "unprecedented"?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2017, 02:58 PM

the libs and others gave Obama and his admin a pass on far more corrupt activities, so now the whining left look like immature hypocrites. Its a shame you don't get it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2017, 03:56 PM

Are you still pretending that Trump's immigration ban was the same as Obama's?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2017, 09:27 PM

It's fairly stunning how we've gone from 'Obama is historically weak on illegal immigration' to 'Obama was historically harsh on illegal immigration' so quickly.

Weird.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 3, 2017, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
It's fairly stunning how we've gone from 'Obama is historically weak on illegal immigration' to 'Obama was historically harsh on illegal immigration' so quickly.

Weird.
One was true of his first term, the other his second. So I guess you get to pick and choose.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2017, 03:21 AM

Are you still pretending that Trump's immigration ban was the same as Obama's?
There is no immigration "ban", there was an EO for a temp travel ban. That's it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2017, 07:02 AM

There is no immigration "ban", there was an EO for a temp travel ban. That's it.
So anyone who immigrated without travelling was just fine.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2017, 11:29 AM

Care to respond to the actual intent of my question instead of deflecting by nitpicking over semantics?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2017, 11:45 AM

So we have to have read your mind to know what you ACTUALLY meant?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2017, 01:38 PM

Care to respond to the actual intent of my question instead of deflecting by nitpicking over semantics?
Care to actually frame a question correctly in the first place rather than make everyone guess at your intent?

Forum Links
Forum Rules