Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DV on Powerbook '99 (400 Mhz)

DV on Powerbook '99 (400 Mhz)
wapcaplet
Feb 25, 2000, 04:02 PM

With a Firewire card and a Firewire HD can I edit DV well on my PB? I heard there are problems going from one Firewire device to another through the cards. Has anyone tried it? Any recomendations for specific hardware (which cards/drives, how much ram) and software (final cut vs. premiere) would be appreciated.

------------------

chicken_tastes_good
Feb 28, 2000, 12:33 AM

check out www.2-pop.com your definitive resource for dv editing and search the archives.
Most usual recommendations:
Ratoc FW card
Promax external FW 37 GB drive (stay away from the older newertech drives)
min 128 MB ram
and 2-pop.com is a final cut pro site (mostly - there might be some posts about premiere, but...)
and lastly, FCP is a high end non linear editing package with a steep learning curve. For introductory stuff, stick w/ iMovie...
The empty can rattles the loudest

skabaru
Feb 28, 2000, 01:22 PM

I like premiere... anyway...

make sure you look at the rotational speed of the drive... not as important to edit (compared to capture) but faster drives are really nice when it comes to those big saves. also, I have found the trackpad to really get annoying in video on the powerbook... at the same time, the coolness factor of video editing on an airplane is really high...

wapcaplet
Feb 28, 2000, 04:00 PM

any reason to get the ratoc card over anyone elses? some company is selling a card for 99 dollars. so there is no problem digitizing from one firewire source through the card onto a firewire hard drive?

chicken_tastes_good
Feb 28, 2000, 07:14 PM

again post up at 2-pop for more specifics, and knowing the kind of "$99" card would be nice as some pc FW cards use old technology chipsets. The hardware of the card (new vs old technology - I don't recall which is which) and the drivers for that specific card will either work or give dropped frames. The Ratoc card works for sure - plus it has both a 4 and a 6 pin dongle so you don't have to daisy chain the HD and the Camera. Rotational speed is _not_ as significant as sustained data transfer. The RPM's of a SCSI drive don't compare in data transfer to the RPM's of an IDE drive. Again, 2-pop.com has lots of threads on this stuff in the hardware forum...
The empty can rattles the loudest

Forum Links
Forum Rules