Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > OS X on a PDA?

OS X on a PDA?
MaxMac
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2001, 01:27 PM

OSX is Unix based right? Linux is Unix based right? Hmmmm.... www.agendacomputing.com I know this is beyond the hardware's current config. But it is something to rumor-mongor about...
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

MaxMac  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2001, 02:54 PM

I spoke w/ the VP for R&D for Agenda and they are not currently supportin Mac OS(9 or X). They will gladly do so if requests for the porting to X(only) are significant. Please let them know if you would be interested in this. http://www.agendacomputing.com/contactsupport.html

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2001, 11:11 PM

I don't want to burst your rumor bubble, but placing OS X on an Agenda is next to impossible. Aside from the basic fact that OS X would make a bad handheld OS (compared to the Newton, of course ), most handheld OSes are held in the ROM, and unless Apple manufactures the ROM with OS X, porting it would be tough. The Agenda might be different, if I recall, but there's still the whole hardware compatibility thing. Besides, I've heard that the Agenda isn't all that great of a PDA anyways. Not trying to be negative, just trying to spark some debate/comment.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

new newton
Banned
Aug 9, 2001, 01:42 AM

Like fluid dynamics, OSes don't scale well. Better to have a handheld-sized OS in a handheld-sized computer than to shoe horn in something completely inappropriate. X is designed to run in a resource-rich environment. How many handhelds are resource-rich?

None.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2001, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by new newton:
<STRONG>Like fluid dynamics, OSes don't scale well. Better to have a handheld-sized OS in a handheld-sized computer than to shoe horn in something completely inappropriate. X is designed to run in a resource-rich environment. How many handhelds are resource-rich?

None.</STRONG>
So, very correct. Windows CE. I rest my case.

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: Nebrie ]

Woggle
Aug 9, 2001, 06:31 AM

Along the same lines, what about putting OS 9 or OS X on a tablet? I was thinking of using a Mac emulation program on Windows(one that looks good was mentioned on these forums before, though it doesn't support 9 or X yet), but the big question being its support for pen services. Anybody got any knowledge on this?
Woggle
'I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.'-- No. 6

MaxMac  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2001, 09:54 AM

The bubble was never formed, but your concern over it's integrity is appreciated. I did state that it was beyond the current hardware's configuration. I agree that scalability of an OS only leads to a weak version (CE, CE2, & Pocket PC). However, given the Linux base of the device, porting that device's applications to the native applications (Mail, iTunes, Quicktime, etc...)of OSX wouldn't be a huge stretch. I have some major problems with the Agenda PDA (no additional memory slot, not native USB, etc...) but it is refreshing to see a departure from the norm in PDA OS's. I am a big Palm fan, but I like new toys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules