Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Making Packages

Making Packages
graphiteman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2001, 06:41 PM

Is there an easy way to make an application package for a REALbasic app? I can make one out of an existing app package(chess), but these has to be an easier way. Any ideas?
"...Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world,
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2001, 04:29 PM

Well you could make a package, but there's probably no point. And REALbasic sucks, learn a proper development language. Like Objective C/Cocoa.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2001, 12:01 AM

I don't think it's right to tell someone that a language which has been a tried and true teacher of beginner programming that it "sucks". I started with BASIC way back in high school. Besides, there are a TON of VisualBASIC want-ads in the paper nowadays.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2001, 02:29 PM

well, that's my opinion, and the opinion of many decent programmers. in fact, you might like to check out http://realcrap.badmoon.org/

realbasic is useful as a learning tool to some extent, it teaches you to think about objects. but when it comes to creating a decent-sized application, you end up having to waste hours banging your head against a brick wall trying to work around REALbasic's many bugs and memory leaks.

graphiteman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2001, 03:07 PM

Back to the topic at hand...

I'd like to make the package to let me include stuff like help files and have access to different app properties(like app name in the menu bar) that can't be set any other way.

I tried package maker, but the Application box was disabled. Are there other programs that will make a package quickly?
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2001, 05:07 AM

The application name and things can be localized only in Cocoa apps because of the way it works. Package Maker is for making .pkgs, not application bundles. You could try making a folder "MyRBApp.app", and then put your binary in MyRBApp.app/Contents/MacOS, and then create a Resources folder and put any content you like in there. I'm not sure if this would work or not, I don't think i've ever seen a CFM application wrapped up as a .app

graphiteman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2001, 07:51 AM

I'll give that a try.

I know iTunes for OS X comes in a package. I can't imagine that Apple put it together manually.
are the ones who do."
-To the Crazy Ones

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2001, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by graphiteman:
I know iTunes for OS X comes in a package. I can't imagine that Apple put it together manually.[/B]
It's not a REALbasic application, is it?
Project Builder (Apple's own development tool, for using real languages not REAL languages) automatically creates a properly set out application bundle when you compile things.

okandeel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2001, 08:25 AM

Well I am trying to make a package myself with Package Maker. All I want is to group my folders into a package so that they get installed correctly at the right positions. However my application file itself gets intalled as a document rather than an application. Furthermore, PackageMaker itself seems kind of wierd. The Meta Package option is disabled from the menu (thus I can't create Meta Packages.) The Saving doesn't work (Everytime I want to save a form it keeps the form with the name "untitled." If I close the form and chose "new" from the menu, no new form opens. I have to close the application and re-open it to have an empty form. There are some checkboxes that are also disabled (like "is an application" and "install only".) Did anybody face similar pecularities or is it just me?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2001, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by okandeel:
Well I am trying to make a package myself with Package Maker.
Previous posts to this topic were about creating an application bundle (well... package), not a .pkg. That's a diffrent matter, and should be avoided at all costs. Read why on http://www.stepwise.com/

okandeel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2001, 05:30 AM

Well I am aware of the articles in stepwise.com and I don't want to make a pkg myself. The problem is I have no choice. I used installer VISE to install my application along with its files. The problem is that the KEXT and the Bundle don't work for some mysterious reason after they are installed. Hence the only way I could think of to install the application while preserving the KEXT and the bundle was to do it through a pkg. If PackageMaker is not a good option; what is?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2001, 08:37 AM

Contacting MindVision support?

okandeel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2001, 08:41 AM

I am still waiting for them to answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules