Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AppleWorks 6--why so bad?

AppleWorks 6--why so bad?
max4ever
Sep 19, 2001, 06:48 PM

I have used AppleWorks for ages--ever since it was a 5.25" program on Apple IIs at my middle school. I used ClarisWorks, then back to AppleWorks. I've always found it to be what I need for a WP program. When I recently purchased my G4, AppleWorks was some of the first software I got. I installed the OS X 6.2 version expecting it to be fairly refined.

Wrong. It spontaneously quits when opening files or even changing windows. Every time I launch the app, my cursor becomes jerky. Tonight, I discovered a new issue. Whenever AppleWorks is open, CPU Monitor and Process Viewer show AppleWorks hoarding an immodest 88% (on average) of CPU resources. What's up with this? I don't think it's my computer (867/640 MB with 10.0.4), but I expected better from AppleWorks. Thanks.

msykes
Senior User
Sep 19, 2001, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by max4ever:
<STRONG>I have used AppleWorks for ages--ever since it was a 5.25" program on Apple IIs at my middle school. I used ClarisWorks, then back to AppleWorks. I've always found it to be what I need for a WP program. When I recently purchased my G4, AppleWorks was some of the first software I got. I installed the OS X 6.2 version expecting it to be fairly refined.

Wrong. It spontaneously quits when opening files or even changing windows. Every time I launch the app, my cursor becomes jerky. Tonight, I discovered a new issue. Whenever AppleWorks is open, CPU Monitor and Process Viewer show AppleWorks hoarding an immodest 88% (on average) of CPU resources. What's up with this? I don't think it's my computer (867/640 MB with 10.0.4), but I expected better from AppleWorks. Thanks.</STRONG>
I assume that since you specify the 6.2 version this is the lastest update from the Apple webpage? If not I would install the update, that has helped out quite a bit on errors. Otherwise sorry about your bad experience, for me using the WP and Spreadsheet modules I've only had one crash in a couple months of using Appleworks for OSX, and the performance is fine on my G3/333.

The massive idle CPU usage is another issue that I pray gets fixed in the next update, basically you just can't leave Appleworks open if you're not using it. This has been reported here by several people with several different types of computers, so it's not like the Mozilla Dual-CPU bug (ie limited to very specific hardware types)

msykes

Rickster
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2001, 09:05 PM

Probably, the CPU usage problem is a case of AppleWorks having been ported to X, but not optimized for X. I'd image they'll eventually release an update in which they've replaced old event-handling code with Carbon Events and performed other optimizations... hopefully it'll be soon.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

max4ever  (op)
Sep 19, 2001, 09:15 PM

Thanks guys. And yes, I do have the latest update, though often I check the apple software website for a 6.2.1 or even 6.3 update.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2001, 03:53 AM

More to the point - where the *hell* is the International English version of the updater ???

We may not pay in $$$ for our Macs, but we still pay, and we still deserve the same level as service as the US users get.

How much work can there be moving from US English to International (aka 'real') English.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2001, 04:38 PM

More to the point - where the *hell* is the International English version of the updater ???
It's here:
http://www.apple.com/uk/appleworks/update/

developer
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules